Is a george forman something you have/would use in your PUP

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by malsrule00, Aug 21, 2011.

1. malsrule00

malsrule00 New Member

We are new PUP owners and trying to figure out what to use for cooking. We have a propane stove that we can move in and out...but we aren't really interested...I was going to take the stove and propane take off the trailer. We were thinking a george forman with the different plates might be pretty useful...anyone have suggestions.

2. fergusonman

fergusonman Member

That sounds like a good idea....I might do the same thing.

3. chippers

chippers New Member

I sometimes bring the electric griddle for easier pancakes. My Foreman is the small, original model with just the attached, wavy cooking plate. But, yeah, if I had one of the modern versions, I'd bring it. Seems like you could do a lot with that.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We seldom camp with hook-ups, so a Foreman grill would not be much use most of the time. We cook simple meals in camp, for long weekends and the first part of longer trips, it is often frozen stew, chili and the like we made ahead of time. Over Thanksgiving, when we knew we had power, we did take an electric skillet, which was handy, but our current pup is so tiny it was interesting to use it all inside. [At temps in the 20s and a howling wind, we were not cooking outside!]

We still prefer to cook on our old Coleman white gas stove, but would not give up the inside stove for a sheltered spot to cook or heat water for evening/morning tea. We have tried more elaborate foods on it, but generally return to simpler things. We met up with friends this week and they had bought a double sides grill/griddle for their propane stove; said it was fine, but they'd save it for meals when they had more time in camp.

5. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

We have one, a mid-size version. I guess we would use it if we were using hook-ups, I'd use it outside because it puts out a lot of somewhat greasy steam with chicken. Of course we usually cook outside anyway. It does a good job on grilling veggies, especially thick onion slices, pannini type sandwiches, etc.

I think a large electric griddle would be a lot more useful. With the adjustable temperature settings, Eggs to order, omelettes, pancakes, french toast, grilled sandwiches, burgers, hash browns, heat your tortillas for breakfast burritos, etc.

6. poncho62

poncho62 New Member

"Is a george forman something you have/would use in your PUP"

No, George Foreman is a big guy, he would take up way too much room in your pup........LOL

Sounds like a good idea, especially since the campground is supplying the electric.

7. zee

zee Member

It depends on what type of camping you're doing. If you camp at a site with an electrical hook-up, George Foreman is ok. If you boon dock or have no hook-up, you need to use charcoal, propane, wood, or white gas to cook with. Therefore, you have to use whatever appliances correspond to the fuel type you choose to use. Call the campsite first to find out what type of set-up they have. For the last trip, we had no electrical hook-up, so, we used charcoal and propane. Of course, if you have an electrical hook-up, the sky is the limit! You can use whatever you want. I hope this helps. :) And, as a rule, I NEVER cook in the PUP! I have a set-up (camp kitchen) away from the pup as not get grease on or in it. Its a NO NO to cook inside your PUP in bear country. You will draw them to you and your pup and you will become their next meal. Just my 2 cent.

8. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

I wouldn't , and i'd be keeping the stove to . Pick up a portable BBQ & between the 2 you'll be able to cook just about anything .

9. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

It depends on what kind of camping you're doing. Obviously, with a GF you would have to be hooked up to shore power. I never camp with hookups, so wouldn't be an option for me.

I would keep the stove.....I actually don't use my p'up stove all too often, but I use my stand alone camp stove for the majority of my cooking. We primarily cook outside unless it's absolutely necessary to move indoors.

For grilling, we either use the campfire or our Weber Little Smokey charcoal grill. There are also a number of small, propane gas grills out there as well, but we like using the charcoal when we're camping.

A cast iron griddle works great for cooking applications which require a griddle. We have one, but honestly have only used it once. Not much we can't do in our pots and pans or other cast iron cookware, so we stopped bringing the griddle altogether.

10. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

My suggestion: Ditch the electric appliances and stick with the propane. But that's me. I like to camp where there are no power hook-ups.

11. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

I love the George Forman grill. we use it all the time in the house. But, Unfortunately we camp where there is no power hookups and running the Honda generator is forbiden where I camp most of the time. Otherwise I would. I suppose on some occations I could bring the Honda 2000 and run it off that. At least that is an option.

12. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

Have a Hamilton Beach grill. Have taken it, but didn't use it. May try again.

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I take no electric appliances.

14. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

I suppose if it's something you would use and you are camping only at sites that have electric hook ups then why not. We have a Foreman grill but not in the pup.
    I really only use ours during the winter months when outdoor grilling is not an option. I prefer steaks, burgers, chicken, chops etc cooked over charcoal or a propane grill with some apple or hickory wood chips to get a nice smokey flavor. Haven't found a way to mimmick that on the Foreman.

15. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

No electric appliances for us. They just don't go with camping in my opinion.

16. BillNH60

BillNH60 a bad day camping is just better than working

I wouldn't take my GF as cooking with electric is just not my style of camping. I grill steaks on my gas grill all year long. Although sometimes digging it out is a PITA. I also pick my grilling days and do not usually grill at 20 below. although have used DO to make many meals on B.S. campouts in the winter.

17. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

Here we go again with the electric or not appliances! George [LOL] travels with us all the time.
    George electric grill, great!
    George gas grill, great!!!
    And my AIR CONDITIONER is ELECTRIC and I don't leave home without it!!! [LOL]

Take them, they work great.

18. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

Agree JJnComp...your camping in a PUP that most have running water and electricity. We for the most part cook on a charcoal grill...also use a propane grill and just last camping trip we found a small George Forman type that is small and can cook like two chicken breast at a time. Clearanced at $2.50 at Walmart... [LOL]

19. OUTOFHERE

OUTOFHERE kid, wife , keys --- were are the keys

Keep the propan and gas grills we camp were there is electricity but the GF only boils the food it looses heat to rapidly and cannot recover the heat loss fast enough there fore you don't get a good grilled flavor just doesn't have the same flavor as a grill Threw ours out long time ago

20. cico7

cico7 Friend request denied.

I would not take one camping. I use mine if I cant cook outside at home.....