Is a pop up a good idea with young kids??

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Ekc3217, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

ps I have twins too - they are 18 now and I miss their 3 year old selves.

Dan Wilson and 1380ken like this.
  2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Since it's been sitting for a few years, normal maintenance would be a great place to start. Basically, tend to every moving part.

Pack wheel bearings, grease pulleys (under pup), oil lift tubes/cables (under pup), grease lift system crank, grease master tube, use dry lube on lift posts, etc.

HERE is where you can find a diagram of your lift system if you have questions on what parts I am referring to. You most likely have the 2660 series.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Tulip likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I could have missed it, but if the new pup has breaks you will need a break controller and maybe a new tow hitch. You need one that lines up with your pup. Tires, i agree with. If everything else works, its just a water tank fresh water hose, filter and water pressure reducer ( if it dosent have them) and a hose and container to hold your grey water from the sink. Not that much $$$ to start. Take and use extea stuff from around the house and use that at first. Then you will see what you need vs what tou want.

4. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

We camp in a '94 Coleman Destiny Cedar. It is an 8' box. We have had it 10 years and haven't looked back. Our boys are 25 and 19 now and still camp with us. We also have a Great Pyrenees that sleeps in the camper with us (before we got her we had a shepherd mix and a bernese mountain dog that slept in the camper with us). It's tight but we only sleep in it. Once everybody is down for the night we don't notice the size of it. It no longer has the sink/stove but we do bring a dorm fridge with us for our perishables and drinks. We also don't have a toilet. I personally do not mind walking to the facilities when we are camping. Frankly the idea of emptying one kinda grosses me out. Especially with 3 men using it (aim is not always a strong suit). Good luck with your purchase!!

Pommom70 likes this.
  5. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

It sounds like you have found one that works, so I would go for it. Check everything over, lube the moving parts and try a few nights in camp driveway to begin with. Tires will need to be replaced at some point, but if it was garage kept, then the tires should be in good shape being out of the weather. As noted, it is a great way to make memories and having a camper allows you to have a good time even it if rains when you are camping. Heading into our 15th year of camping with kids, youngest is 16 now and we have been all over the US with them. It is more work for the parents when the kids are younger, but they get the hang of it and you have lots of fun. Put them to bed early and hang out by the fire with your spouse, it's what life and families are all about.

Pommom70 likes this.
  6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

You might want to try and get a babysitter for the dog on the first trip. You will have your hands full and no dog would make a big difference.

7. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

Sounds like a win to me. Assuming the price wasn't overly high to begin with, sounds like you can sell it for what you have into it at any time, if you need to.

Tirets are easy. Carlisle Radial Trail HD's are cheap at Walmart and Amazon. I think I paid $35 each for mine from Walmart. All in with tax, balancing etc it was under a $100 for the pair. If you can afford it, replace the spare as well. Otherwise just keep the best of the existing three as the spare.

8. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

I guess it comes down to individuals' definition of "decent shape." Popups are very much a hands-on thing, especially older ones. If the box is watertight (no roof leaks, no rotten spots on the floor, walls OK), and the canvas doesn't have holes beyond the designed-in ones (windows), the rest is cleanup and minor repairs.

Back to the original topic… kids like to think they're contributing. Let them help set up camp, according to their abilities. Pre-teens can drop stabilizers and undo latches, but cranking up the roof is likely beyond them. They can carry in food and bags, and stake out the awning. If you have an outdoor playpen set up, let the toddlers carry their outdoor toys to the pen. If you have a fire ring (and no burn bans), everyone can go scrounge firewood if it's allowed.

Above all, have fun with it!

Sotovoce and neighbormike like this.
  9. Rey-Pop-UP

Rey-Pop-UP Member

There is different size pop ups. We looked at many before we made our decision. It comes down to small, medium and large. All different frame sizes. Some even have slide outs for more space. It comes down to how much you can tow and how much your budget is. I have 3 small kids ages 2,5,7 and i can personally tell you a pop up was the best choice for us. We have a Queen and a Full in ours and the dinette area also turns into a sleeping area. We spend most of our time outside during the day. If there is somewhere you can maybe rent one or borrow one from a friend I would recommend that. It worked great for us personally but everyone is different. Hope this helps. Happy Camping

10. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Please consult with your vet. This is based on a neighbor's experience. Great Danes are sight hounds not scent hounds. Sight hounds get home because they memorize the sight of the trail. Scent hounds get home because they smell themselves on the trail.

The speculation was that Great Dane chased a squirrel or something and got lost because he couldn't recognize anything. They found him 15 miles from home a week later.

11. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

12. 23steps

23steps New Member

I've got 4 yo twins and an 18 month old, a little dog and an old big golden retriever. You're going to love it! You might be exhausted at the end of a trip, but it's great memories and your kids will beg for the next trip (hopefully, if they're anything like mine.)

13. LeslieCrawford

LeslieCrawford New Member

We have 3 kids, ages 9 4 & 3, we also take our golden retriever with us. We borrowed a pop up last year from a family friend a few times to see how it would work. It actually wasn’t bad!! We did take a small one person tent to keep the bath necessities and our clothes in to free up more space since it was very limited in the borrowed one. (They had all of their stuff in there still.) we were still very comfortable.

FARfetched likes this.
  14. DerekCamperDad

DerekCamperDad Member

We also have 3 kids. 2,4 and 6 at the moment. I started with a PUP and moved over to the darkside. I agree with everyone who says it's about making the memories. We started with our kids young and they love camping. It's also a ton of work. I found giving them jobs help, get them involved and in the habit of helping. Eventually the dream is for them to set up camp while mama and I relax with a drink.

The set up of the PUP gets faster, mama would take the kids for a short 20 minute walk and by the time they were back I'd have it unhitched, level and up. Some setup left to do but they could now go play in the trailer. The travel trailer is even faster but I keep them involved.

Very good idea to rent before you buy. It will give you an idea what your specific needs are.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.