Is a Pop-up right for me?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Drbean, Feb 13, 2018.

1. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Nice floor plan. I can't make out a model number in the pics. Nada shows 2 8 ft models in 2003
    Freedom Series
    M-1610 17' 7'1" 1574 6
    M-1620 17' 7'1" 1336 6
    http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2003/Rockwood
    BTW that's unloaded weight

The 1610 seems a little heavy but the 1620 would be about avg weight for the 8 footers I looked at in that year range.

I think you'll appreciate that sofa.

2. Drbean

Drbean Member

I'm heading out to check it out. I think tow package is optional but I have a hitch and lights at least.
    Will send pics if I pick it up

3. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

UHaul installed hitches on 2 of my TV's over the years, and I've never had a problem. We checked with the dealerships and the SUV/Mini Van manuals and it was all good.

4. Drbean

Drbean Member

Well I went ahead and picked it up!

Can't wait to do more research on it and get more familiar with everything. Not only have I never had an RV, but I've also never dealt with gas appliances. I don't even know how to test a carbon monoxide detector!
    So I'm looking forward to getting through some of the basic stuff and learning how it all works.
    I will post pics soon, it was well past dark by the time I got home.

Orchid, Jorja and tzmartin like this.
  5. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

All of the information you need, and then some, is in this Portal. Welcome to our family of PUP enthusiasts.

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I figured you got it because the CL post is gone! as for The Carbon monoxide detector you could probably just replace it because they dont have a long shelf life and this way you will know how old it is and when to replace it again. The gas appliances are simple to deal with. when you go to use them hookup the propane turn it on. goto the stove turn it on. Wait a few seconds With a stick lighter start trying to light it. It may take a few times to light because the air in the lines needs to bleed out. After you get this far than play with the fridge & furnace. Good Luck & camp on [put&pu] P.S. We will be anticipating the pic's

Drbean likes this.
  7. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Camp Driveway time!

8. Drbean

Drbean Member

Thats good advice.
    I read something about these carbon monoxide sensors actually controlling the flow of the gas. So if it malfunctions or detects gas it won't allow the flow. Pretty interesting and I don't know if that's how mine is yet, but I wonder if I would need an OEM replacement or is that pretty standard

9. Drbean

Drbean Member

Hey that's not a bad idea! I should stage it in my back yard and camp out there this weekend! What better way to get to know everything

Jorja and jnc like this.
  10. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to doing that in another month or two to re-introducing myself to our pup!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  11. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Congrats on the NTU trailer....lots of great times ahead!

12. jnc

I doubt very much that your pup has the type that shutoff the gas! and what ever you get will work. You my want to measure yours and try to find one to fit the hole.

Drbean likes this.
  13. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Congrats on your NTU pup.

Drbean likes this.
  14. Drbean

Drbean Member

After looking around, I notice a lot of acronyms around here. I'm pretty decent at figuring them out because at my job half our sentences are spoken in acronyms. But NTU means new to u right?

Btw thanks! Really stoked about it :)
    Goodbye (or good riddance) tent camping.

15. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Indeed it does.

16. Drbean

Drbean Member

As promised, here's some pics!
    https://imgur.com/a/IO4vg

So nothing ever looks as good in person as it does in the pics. The floor is solid and all the furniture is in good shape. The canvas seems good although there is some wear and tear noticed near the parts where you push the canvas ceilings out with the pole (looks like someone could have been too aggressive with the poles or maybe just normal wear marks) but nothing that would cause a leak, just an area of concern. The poles also seem to take a tremendous amount of pressure to hook in so I may drill an extra hole to collapse the pole down one more notch to make this easier. It seems like the canvas maybe shrinks slightly over the years.
    The door also has an issue where the latch doesn't quite catch when the 2 door pieces are clipped all the way together. When the little clip under the window is left loose, it will latch.

The main thing concerning me is on 2 or 3 of the extension poles supporting the roof, the 2 bolts at the top seem to have broken through the outside paneling. This wouldn't cause any leaks but I am going to have a closer look to see if this could lead to any sort of binding or alignment issues with the roof and crank system. I may need to take a closer pic to show what I mean.

So biggest thing is, I am putting a lot of faith in the guy who sold it to me. They seemed like honest folk and it was priced well but you never know. I could not test any of the electric or gas. They didn't have a way to plug in the 30 amp plug at their house, and no propane. I am getting an adapter for the plug (I know I won't be able to turn everything on at the same time with a 15 amp breaker) and will refill the propane and test anything I can this Saturday. Some electrical might need a bit of work for DC power as there is a bit of rigging going on near the tongue area. Electrical isn't my specialty but I can make tidy connections and learn a thing or two. The only thing I have actually tested so far is the sink, and that was under hose pressure, which worked with no leaks. Mostly I'm suspicious of the gas system, seems they didn't use any of the gas appliances although I think they said they used the outside gas hookup for a grill but I don't remember. Oh yeah, I think this model comes with an outside grill option, it has the mounting rail for, but it wasn't included in the transaction.

Regardless the outcome this weekend I think this will be a great entry to pup camping.

Edit: I accidentally attached one of the pics to this message but the rest are in the imgur album linked above.

Attached Files:

Orchid, shuang2 and mrkrag like this.
  17. jnc

It looks pretty good. On the lift pole bolts you want to check for water damage/rotted wood. The doors on pups can be a pain if the pup isnt level.

Drbean likes this.
  18. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

Congrats!

The pictures are great. And good luck with Camp Driveway, it definitely helped us sort out a few issues.

Maybe the owners just didn't like cooking smells inside the pop up, as to why they didn't use the inside burners?

I'll sometimes heat up things in the microwave in ours, but we do our main cooking outside, even with burners and an oven inside.

Drbean likes this.
  19. Drbean

Drbean Member

A small microwave would be a good addition.

20. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

@Drbean Looks good! I have a similar Rockwood.

If the sideboard has rotted out, people fix them all the time. People have even ordered replacements from the factory. The part is cheap (I think it was like $40). But shipping was a killer.... (Like $200) I think based on other posts your in South Carolina, and the factory is in Indiana, so it's probably not a good fit.

But there are many threads on fixing that. Get some pictures, and we'll all offer advice.

Since I think your in SC, here's another accessory you might want. It's a Mud Dauber Screen for the furnace. It a screen that doesn't let nest building insects into the Furnace exhuast port. I'm guessing the model furnace you have based on the picture, so you might want to research if it's the correct one before you buy it.

http://a.co/aIqJyiK

[​IMG]