Is a Pop-up right for me?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Drbean, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Drbean

Drbean Member

Nice! I already found a dead mud dauber nest behind the panel for the fridge. Also a gap where the propane line comes thru the floor that I'll plug and seal to prevent other critters like mice.
    I'll take a pic of the area I'm referring to. It's not the lower side boards, it's on the top side paneling. I didn't even see wood there it's just the thin plastic paneling. I will snap a pic today

2. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

The've got screens for those too. Even the hotwater heater... The video shows most of them.

[​IMG]
    Camco 42140 Flying Insect Screen - FUR 100
    by Camco
    Link: http://a.co/hNqviVY

Drbean likes this.
  3. mrkrag

mrkrag Active Member

Looks like you really scored on that one! Yours is more of the size and floorplan I was looking for when I started shopping around. But when I chose The One it was because the PO had just taken such amazing care of it, I knew I was done looking.

From what I've seen on here, your sideboard issues are very fixable, and the rest of it looks great.

Figure it all out in Camp Driveway first and enjoy!

Drbean likes this.
  4. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Looks good! Congratulation!

Drbean likes this.
  5. Drbean

Drbean Member

So camp driveway was a success. I have had the opportunity to test everything I can with AC power and everything works. Water pump, AC, roof fan, furnace fan, lights, outlets, fridge. So that's awesome

The other issue I mentioned before is going to be a bigger problem than I thought. The bolts breaking through the upper side panels in 2 of the corners are attached to the lift poles. Pics attached of the worst side. There is a lot of wood rot around these corners and I think I'd like to just replace the whole panel. It doesn't look like a very difficult job. Do you guys know where I might find pricing and availability on this part?

Attached Files:

6. Drbean

Drbean Member

There's a lot of excellent information on sideboard repair. I will try to order them from the dealer depending on price and availability.

7. mrkrag

mrkrag Active Member

Lookin good so far, at least all of your electricals are not issues. Those will cost more than some wood..

I've seen others temporarily reinforcing the sideboards externally, to allow raising and lowering the top and getting in to see whats going on. Seems like most of the posts I've seen where someone located the actual 'part' it was not that expensive but shipping became prohibitive. How good are you with a circular and/or jig saw?? Some marine plywood shouldnt be farther than the closest big box.

8. Drbean

Drbean Member

I am comfortable with building my own, it would just take me some time since I don't do that kind of work much. Also since it's a 10ft box I would need to piece together a couple pieces and lap them together with a joint. I could easily spend what it costs for the factory sideboards in materials and tools, not counting the shipping. I would pay an extra 1-200 bucks not to have to build them from scratch though. I'll call forest river or the dealer tomorrow and find out more, will let you guys know what I dig up.

By the way, what materials are used in the roof construction? Styrofoam with wood framing I'm guessing?

9. mrkrag

mrkrag Active Member

Typically a sandwich of Aluminum or ABS on the outside, 1" foam core, and 1/4" Luan on the interior.

here is someone else right in the middle of doing what you will have to do. best part of this portal, youre never the only one
    http://popupportal.com/threads/2004-starcraft-centennial-rebuild.116164/#post-1178841

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Drbean likes this.
  10. davido

davido Active Member

A popup would be a great fit, but keeping total weight to 2500 pounds with a popup and bikes included, you're instantly narrowing the field of which popups would be acceptable to a very small few.

Don't look at the advertised dry weight. Look at the GVWR of the trailer, and assume you're going to fill it up mostly to that capacity. Since bikes weigh several hundred pounds each, I'm guessing you're going to be limited to a 1500 pound trailer.

On the other hand, if you can manage it, pups that have a front platform for bike storage have always looked like a great idea for people who travel with bikes. I don't know what the weight is like though, nor how much of that is sitting on the tongue.

11. Drbean

Drbean Member

The pup I went with has a weight of around 1700 (what's on the title). I'm guessing that's dry weight. The race bikes I'll be transporting weigh up to 250lbs wet. I know with supplies and such I'll easily be pushing 3000lbs with this setup, but that still puts me at about the half capacity mark (payload and trailer) which is what I'm comfortable with. When I was hauling the camper home, it felt like nothing when cruising on the interstate which is exactly what I was after. Braking was fine too.

12. mrkrag

mrkrag Active Member

Just remember trailer tires are only rated to 65mph, and ideally you shouldn't be pushing them to the limit for hours at a time so 60 becomes "interstate speed" now. read through these forums and see how common highway blowouts are. happened to almost everyone it think (knock wood)

I've adjusted one of my nav apps to account for that and give me better time estimates for drives.

13. Drbean

Drbean Member

That will be a tough pill to swallow. Even 65 feels like crawling. The trailer did come with almost new tires so that's a little more peace of mind.

14. mrkrag

mrkrag Active Member

That's why I try to take state or county roads whenever I can going back and forth, up and down FL. I-75 is no fun even in my E320 (with the cruise control set to 88mph, Marty) , never mind pulling my PUP and being blasted by semi rigs

15. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

@Drbean it's not how new the tires are. The standard tire sold for Campers is only speed rated to 65MPH, and are not designed to go faster.

You can purchase tires that go at higher ratings, but you would have to specifically look for them.

Drbean likes this.
  16. mrkrag

mrkrag Active Member

Those european tires that have the 75mph rating are pretty hard to source, but look around and you will see that lots of people who do the spring over axle conversion put larger wheels, and hence, larger tires on there that have higher speed ratings. If you are OK with needing an extra step to get in and out and possibly having to add longer stabs or bring blocks to make them reach the ground.

Drbean likes this.
  17. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Get radials and you do not have to worry about speed limit. It is still safer to be under the speed limit because it is added weight to your TV.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The tires we had on our popups always had a 65 mph rating - with one set I had to call the manufacturer to find out what it was, there were no markings indicating it on the tires that we could find.
    The first two sets of tires on the TT also had a 65 mph rating. This fall, we put on Goodyear Endurance tires, with a speed rating N (something over 80 mph). While the trailer feels much better on the road with these tires, neither of us like to drive it at 75. (we do a lot of our driving in the west where the speed limit is 75 on the interstate - and the road rockets still fly by).

Drbean likes this.
  19. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I will have to respectfully disagree with this statement. The vast majority of popup radial trailer tire ratings are 65 mph unless you have the specially rated tires. Tires with rating greater than 65 mph are few and far between so unless you are 100% sure you have a higher rating, the 65 mph rating should always be followed.

And also be aware that some States (and Provinces) have trailer speed limits regardless of the tire rating.

kitphantom likes this.
  20. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Thanks for mentioning this I had to look and you are totally correct that it is different from state to state.