Is a Pop-up right for me?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Drbean, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

My radials can go up to 75 MPH yes, California limits towing MPH to 55. That's 2 different speed issues.

2. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

I think you need to get some modern bikes, ours weigh 35-40 lbs each.

There is actually fair number of 75+ MPH ST tires available. Goodyear Marathon/Endurance, Carlisle and Towmaster to name a few brands.

3. myride

myride Well-Known Member

4. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

I originally was going to post the same, that my bikes weigh 30-40 pounds. Then I looked at the original post, and he is definitely talking about Dirt Bikes.

5. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Whew...I knew I was getting old BUT......[A]

6. Drbean

Drbean Member

I drove home at about 72-73mph with it, before I knew about the 65mph speed limit. Now I know. Next tires I get will be rated for higher speeds. For some reason 70mph feels so much faster than 65. 65 feels miserably slow.

Anyway, regarding the sideboard issue. I got in touch with Forest River Rockwood and they are going to send me the side panels and corner caps. The total for the 2 panels and caps was around 140 bucks, not including shipping. As I've read on here before, they can't quote shipping cost, and it usually lands somewhere between 100-200 bucks. I'll let you know, but for me it's still worth it to have the OEM part on there instead of building my own.

Should I open a new thread in another section since I've gone from the pre-purchase stage to the repairs and modifications stage?

As far as mods, I am very interested in solar. 99% of my camping won't include the luxury of a power hookup. I've figured out that a deep cycle battery and full tank of propane could keep me going for 2 nights without supplemental power from generators or solar panels. With some very quick and dirty mental math, I figured 200 watts of solar panels to recharge in the day could keep the battery going longer than the 20lb propane tank depending on how much the furnace is used at night. This might not evem be relevant because I would rarely camp more than 2 nights.

I think the bigger problem being in SC is dealing with the heat. I don't know how hot these get in the summer but it would be nice to get some relief from the heat for a lunch break during a riding day. Don't know if fans would cut it. Maybe a mister with fans would help. To power the AC I would at least need a 3000watt generator from what I've read, and the quiet RV kind cost a fortune. Not to mention the added headache of transporting the genny and fuel requirements etc

7. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

In regards to your summer heat issue, I rigged up a mister system using a (new) pump up weed sprayer, & a single mister nozzle attached to the front shroud of our fan....while it's not a/c, it kept us fairly comfortable in 95° weather. I used a 2 gallon sprayer, & it will run all day long on 2 gallons of water, just need to pump it back up once in a while.

8. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Active Member

A couple of things to keep your battery going longer:

Install a larger battery and battery box. It probably came standard with a group 24 battery. If you install a Group 27 or Group 31 battery, you'll increase the capacity, possibly by an extra day. Another battery mod some campers do, is to use 2x 6V Golf Cart batteries hooked up in series to provide 12V. This also provides increased Amp-Hours. Adds to your tongue weight, but it looks like you need to upgrade your leaf pack or add airbags, anyway.

Replace all your trailer interior lights (and porch light) with LED bulbs. It's not a very expensive conversion. A pack of 12 costs like $20 on Amazon. Just make sure you get the right type of socket for your trailer.

I don't know how cold it gets at night where you'll be camping (I'm assuming the desert). Consider using the heater only in the evening while you're getting ready for bed, then turning it off once you settle in. One tip, since you have a gaucho that converts into a bed, you'll be warmer sleeping on the gaucho (as long as you're short enough to fit) than sleeping on the bunk ends. The bunk ends get very cold because of the cold outside air being directly under the bed platform.

9. Drbean

Drbean Member

I like that idea. I might reserve a spot in the fridge for a gallon of water to put some cold water in the mister bottle. Combined with a DC fan and preparing lunch outside under an awning, that might just be the ticket.

10. Drbean

Drbean Member

So I have a 122 amp-hour Everstart, a big heavy pig I used to use for a trolling motor. I don't remember seeing a group rating on there. I've seen group 31 batteries with, say, 100AH. What would be the advantage of a group 31 100 amp battery over a group 24 100 amp battery? Pretty sure I've seen the same amp rating across different groups..

Regarding the climate, it's hot and humid. In the middle of summer I won't get relief even at night because it'll still be very humid and 80+ degrees Fahrenheit

11. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Active Member

I'm certainly not a battery expert. I'm just getting into the research and reading required to properly run my PUP on battery power. Somebody else had better chime in on this.

So, cooling is an issue then, rather than heat, even at night? One advantage of a pop up is that you can unzip all the windows, and it's basically the equivalent of sleeping outside. You're pretty much surrounded by nothing but fly netting. As long as you're in a nice, private location, and it's not raining, this should not be an issue.

If you were in a drier clime such as a desert, I would recommend you look into evaporative coolers, but that may not be a good solution for you if humidity is high.

A generator may be your only option for cooling.

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

13. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Make sure you are not comparing reserve capacity to amp hours. Sure they're measuring basically the same thing but not in the same way. You can convert rc at 25 amps to ah at a 20 hour rate by multiplying rc by .417.

Drbean likes this.
  14. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

15. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Walmart sells an O2Cool fan in their camping department for $15. Runs on6 D batteries but I have tested them in mine on 12v and they work fine. The previous model used 8D batteries. 10" 5 bladed fan.

Drbean and jnc like this.
  16. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Yes the are nice fans. We have had one going on 7 or 8 years. I pull the batteries when packing it away and with moderate use I have only changed batteries twice.

17. Drbean

Drbean Member

Camper update:
    - took both roof sideboards off. Extensive rot around some of the corners. Will take pics
    - put one of the new side boards on, hoping to put the other one on today.
    - removed all the old butyl tape, caulk, and other sealant from the trim pieces. This part took hours and hours.
    - got a new Duracell AGM 105ah deep cycle battery
    - got a bunch if new hardware but might need more.

To do:
    - hook up battery and test electronics
    - fill propane bottle and check all fittings for leaks
    - finish the side board replacement
    - fix trailer lights (for some reason the brake lights work inversely - they are on but turn off when I press on the brakes)
    Hoping to finish it up this Saturday and take it on its maiden voyage that night, riding the dirt bike the next day after making breakfast in the pup!

jnc likes this.
  18. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Start by limiting what you have to test. Start with the TV (Tow Vehicle), Pick up a light tester at an autoparts store. (unless you have another trailer, and it works fine there)
    [​IMG]
    (or 7 way if that's what you have) If your TV is fine, then you can focus on the trailer.

I wonder if the lights you are seeing ON are the RUNNING lights, and the Bright STOP lights are not working or are blown. Some trailers have seperate bulbs, and some trailers have dual filament bulbs.

I had a landscape trailer that the Running lights worked OK, but the STOP lights did not. Turned out to be a bad ground between the light bulb and the stop light housing. Little sandpaper and things worked much better.

19. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I have one of these and they are a fabulous time saver!

20. Drbean

Drbean Member

Y
    Nice, I picked one of those testers up after seeing your suggestion. The TV checked out! Will look at grounding and bulb issues next.