Is a port-a-potty worth it?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Ratherbecamping, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Thinking about trying out a sack of Pretty Litter in the portable "add a bag" fold out crapper; claims it immediately traps odor & dispenses moisture, plus it'll tell you if you're sick when you take a whizz by the color of the crystals...

9770de8.jpg

Ratherbecamping likes this.
  2. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho Member

We have one, but we haven't used it. Yet. The gentleman that sold us our pup included it. As far as emptying goes, neither of us wanted that job so we decided we'll take turns. I have an old pop up bow hunting blind that is going to get a new life as a shelter for it. It's pretty low to the ground so I may have to put some blocks or something under it. Maybe even a BAL! [LOL]

Susan Premo and Ratherbecamping like this.
  3. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Your options are:
    1. Get a portapottie. If you need to conserve weight, leave something else behind. If the only thing you can leave behind is food, reconsider your tow vehicle.
    2. Use the campground bathrooms exclusively. But be super vigilant about making all the kids pee as many times as possible before bed, and cut off their beverage consumption an hour or so before bedtime. Then first thing in the morning get them up early and take them to the bathroom. ... or bring plastic sheets.
    We found having our thetford toilet to be an essential with little kids. A porta pottie is an acceptable alternative to a built-in thetford.

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Thetford, Dometic, SeaLine, all have a folding pouring spout on the tank. IMO it's worth the few dollars extra the first time you try to empty it into a toilet.

PointyCamper likes this.
  5. Ratherbecamping

Ratherbecamping Active Member

I may get the plastic sheets either way. Thanks for the reminder! My kids haven’t wet the bed in years but I won’t tempt fate on my new beds!

6. Ratherbecamping

Good point. I was watching a YouTube video of a Thetford and see star you mean.

7. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Be careful to put the spout lid off to the side. Someone I know (not me, honest) accidentally dropped one down the black drain pipe. They are replaceable- for a price.
    We have the small 2.5 gal. model and it is simple to empty in the toilet.
    Built a wooden base that works as a carry bin, upside down, for blue juice and tp.
    ed. to add- We only use a refilled bottle of water to flush. Directed exactly where needed and use as little as necessary. Ymmv

8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

BTDT

9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

It really isn't that bad. Really, changing a diaper is way worse.
    I quit with the juice, the drop in packs and a little water is more convenient as less risk of a spill.

10. Ratherbecamping

thanks for the tips!

11. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

Can anyone weigh in about the advantages of an actual port a potty vs a 5 gal bucket with a seat on top? Im imagining the bucket approach might be simpler to dump, clean and generally deal with once back home. Number one only of course!

Susan Premo likes this.
  12. BillyMc

It really doesn't get much easier than cassette and portable toilets and if it's only pee that makes it even easier. Pour it out in the dump station or a toilet, add a little water, and pour it out. I go ahead and drop a chemical pod in it and add about a quart of water before putting it away so it's ready to go when I need it. Even when going poo in it, it's not bad. If you can change a diaper, a portable toilet is nothing.

PointyCamper and Susan Premo like this.
  13. RVACampFam

RVACampFam New Member

I've been using a 5gal Home Depot bucket with kitty litter in our PUP for the last couple of years. Only for pee and only at night when I don't want to walk to camp bath alone. Use heavy duty yard bags, and throw it away with the rest of the trash. Since it's only me using it (DH thinks nature is his toilet for late night pee), it doesn't get filled or stinky. With all that said though, we are considering a porta or cassette for resale value. Still on the fence. I will say when we tent camped with young kids, a bucket or porta would've been great. Didn't even know they existed back then!

Ratherbecamping and Susan Premo like this.
  14. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience I love a pragmatic hack solution. I think I'll look for a plastic bag alternative but the kitty litter sounds like a great idea. Going to get us a seat for the bucket asap!

15. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

Thanks. Actually I'm on the fence so we may try the bucket and go from there

16. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I will shut up after this (Maybe!)
    But for the price of a bucket... some sort of seat... Trash bags and Kitty Litter....
    Why would anyone go that route?
    Porta crappers are cheap...The chemicals last forever and you can easily make a 3 day weekend
    and not have to change out bags or mess with it.
    Plus you buy it once and beside chemicals once in awhile...Your done spending money
    (Other than TP which you have to buy either way)
    Lets just say your camping for a minute...
    Bucket
    Seat for comfort
    Extra Trash bags
    Kitty litter ( Don't forget at some point the kitty litter bag will rip on you or if you have kids..
    Rip inside the camper or your tow vehicle and make a mess)
    ( Coin flip on whos turn it is to change the bag out and run to dumpster? )

Now lets say you have a porta potty....
    Fill it with water.
    Pour a little water in waste tank
    Add 3 or 4 ounces of chemical to waste tank
    Forget about it all weekend.
    ( Bonus ) You will always have it at the ready and not have to say...Darn it
    we forgot or are out of trash bags...Dear..Did you pack the kitty litter?
    did we pack the 5 gal bucket and seat?
    Some porta potties even have a built in TP holder.
    I for one am always forgetting to pack or restock on things.
    the less to worry about for me the better.
    I keep a bottle of chemical and porta potty stays in camper with a roll
    of TP in the holder and I am ready.

17. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

When we bought our Aliner, I said a toilet was a must-have. Dealer “threw in” the small Thetford and we really like it. 2 people use it for everything, 1/2 bottle of blue juice in bottom tank, no smell- really, no smell. The small one gets emptied every day or 2. Everything is sealed. Pull the “flush” handle and bowl empties, close it and it sealed. To empty the whole thing you unhook the top seat half and carry the sealed bottom cassette away to empty. The blue juice does seem to liquify everything pretty rapidly. We do use the rv tp.
    We have a large refill bottle of blue juice to refill the little bottles we bring.
    You can fill the top tank with water to flush but we pour a water bottle instead.

18. BillyMc

Too bad you are so far away. I have one out in the storage building you could have, I don't see us looking back.

19. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

That is the exact one we bought a few years back (5.3 gallon) and wish we had bought one YEARS earlier!
    When they're empty they really don't weigh much at all and are easy to empty in a regular bathroom toilet or at the campground dump station.

I will also add that I never had a problem emptying it myself at the dump station; it's not just a guy's job.
    Honestly, I've seen and dealt with worse and DH says nothing can be worse than cleaning out a hog barn.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  20. Kaytayqt

Kaytayqt Member

Hi hi!
    I hope I'm not late to the potty party here. Ok. I have 2 kids, 9 and 5. I traveled from Cincinnati to Phoenix in October 2020. Barely any rest stops were open and even if they were, I didn't want me or the kids using them. I bought a cleanwaste portable toilet, set it up in the back of my van, hitched up the pup and took off! The kids loved having the ability to go when they needed, not having to wait. We would park with all the trucks, do our business and hit the road again.
    The toilet has a normal seat, it's a normal toilet height, and the bags have a chemical in them that turns the liquid into a gel. It's kinda gross to admit, but I had a bag dump when I was trying to change it in the dark! (Stupid! I know) To my great surprise, my van did not smell, was super easy to clean up and kinda sold me on the thing forever. I now get the cheaper bags from Walmart (in the camping section- CORRECTION OZARK TRAIL BRAND) which has the outer, leak resistant, zip top bag attached directly to the bag the waste goes in. It's harder to grab the wrong end and have an oops when it's attached:shocked: We use it several times, or until someone has to #2. Then it's switched out for a clean set up. When we arrived at the camp ground, I would pop up the camper, get the kids and food in the trailer, then move the potty over for the night. I set it up in the door way overnight so no one would trip on it. It fit perfect. Hopefully this helped!
    Cleanwaste available on Amazon and cabelas - their bags too
    OZARK TRAIL bags available at Walmart

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021