Is a port-a-potty worth it?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Ratherbecamping, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Ratherbecamping

Ratherbecamping Active Member

Thanks for for the info!! I’m glad it worked so well.

Kaytayqt likes this.
  2. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

Interesting information here.
    I've never used a portable potty in the PUP. I have a 5 Gal bucket with seat stored at home just-in-case if something like a hurricane cuts off the water or all the toilets go kaput. But out camping-- I go to the public restroom. I get in and out of there as fast as possible especially now, with the virus.
    I can count on one hand the times I ever needed to go in middle-of the night. Then, I've occasionally used a wide-mouthed jar. A certain brand of orange juice (Tropicana) has such a jar/bottle. Maybe I just have staying power in that respect. Usually out camping I must let the dogs out on leash first thing in the morning, I dance around a little til they are done, then they get put in the tow vehicle for the 5-10 minutes so I can go to the restroom. I have no qualms about taking a #1 squat in the bush or grass (when I hike) but won't do that on a campsite.
    Now I wonder if I should spoil myself and be going in the pup, or get an auxiliary tent. I'm minimalist though, & most of my campouts are only 2-3 days in duration. One more thing to setup and worry about, IMHO.

Ratherbecamping likes this.
  3. elmohio

elmohio New Member

Absolutely a must for our family. We tend to end up with sites far from the restrooms & my husband & I ended up using it more often than the kids. When we camp hubby sleeps like a rock & I'm the early riser. When the kids were little it was nice to be able to go in the morning without leaving the site. Didn't have to worry about one of them waking up while I was gone & leaving the pup to come looking for me without him realizing it. Like others have said, our rule was seated #1's only unless it was a true #2 emergency. If we weren't able to dump the tank at the campground we'd just do it when we got home. The porta potty also came in handy 2 years ago when we had to do extensive plumbing work on our home & were without access to a toilet for a day or two. We used one when we tent camped & in all 3 of our pups. Just what worked for us! Now we've moved onto a TT at the end of last season, so we'll be learning all the ins & outs of that this year. Happy camping!

Kaytayqt and Ratherbecamping like this.
  4. Musictom

Musictom Member Gold Supporting Member

We've owned our PUP for about a week. My wife was adamant that we did NOT need a shoilet. The only ones available had the inside cassette toilet. We took our first trip last weekend with 2 grandkids, 7 and 4. The short answer is the porta-potty was the hit of the weekend. For whatever reason, our grandkids were absolutely ecstatic that they could "pee the trailer", haha!

And when my wife got up in the middle of the night to use the facilities, she was sold. Needless to say, we are fans. :)

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

As with so much, this is personal preference. Not to have TMI, but I had a pee funnel and bottle for years in the tent - seemed like it was always a huge hike to the potty, or it was pouring rain. When we renovated our first small popup, we bought a folding toilet and used the gel-bags. That was a great improvement. Took it once in our large tent w/vestibule, and was very thankful. My husband developed a fever and I was happy to have him use the potty, he wasn't thinking well, it was raining, and the pit toilet was down a muddy slope from our tent. We're both well-versed in "going outdoors" but that night, it would not have been good, on several levels.
    I dreaded having to deal with a black tank when we moved to the TT, but it is no where near as bad as I thought. In fact, the worst part is dealing with the connections when I'm solo, because my hands don't work like they used to. I prefer not to have to dump with people waiting behind me, it always makes me feel rushed.
    Some people just can't deal with it. My good friend, who will go with me on a trip this year, would love a TT of her own. (Her husband isn't interested.) However, she has issues with all potty related things - how she coped with puppies and dogs over the years, as well as a child, I'm not sure. I have visions of the two of us traveling around, with me doing the waste tank process - though we may have to come to an understanding, even with my trailer, of her helping me connect and disconnect - she can wander away while I do the main part of the process.

6. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I believe it's a phobia like spiders...snakes etc.
    It creeps in your mind and stays there.
    I am a porta potty believer now and was able to get past it once forced into it.
    Im sure I could get used to pooping in a bucket lined with a bag if I had to go bad enough
    but I am glad I don't have to.

Ratherbecamping and kitphantom like this.
  7. Kaytayqt

Kaytayqt Member

Correction with the Walmart brand bags made.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

@Kaytayqt - th enice thing with Cleanwaste is that they have sold the "Poopowder" in small jars. Handy to add extra if needed, or to use in any plastic bag. (The first year we had the folding toilet, 10+ years ago, refill bags were difficult to find on a cross country trip.)

9. Ratherbecamping

Ratherbecamping Active Member

You were all right! We took our first trip Easter weekend and the potty was a hit. My kids were begging to use it like it was a new toy. We planned to use the campground bathroom except for middle of the night but it was a huge help when we were trying to set up, cook etc and someone had to go. It never fails they have to go when we are busy. Or 2 miles from rest stop and can’t make it.

10. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Those little changing rooms are really quick to setup and the portable toilets are super easy to dump. The PUP has a cassette toilet, but we used the portable more. Cuts down on kid traffic in and out of the camper and trips the the bathhouse. Just bought a HTT and still using the portable.