is anyone on ssdi?

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by stormspotter, Feb 8, 2009.

1. stormspotter

stormspotter New Member

I have been on it for 10 years till they suspended this month because they say i was gainfully employed I tried to do a medical adjudment but the local office seems to be haveing trouble comunicating with national office so i might have to do an apeal. It is very frustrating each time i call i get diferent information Anyone have any experince?
    ty happy camping

2. Digger

Digger Foothills of Central Virginia

Have you been able to take advantage of any of the work incentive programs? There are some things you can deduct from your income if they are impairment-related. One of the programs is Impairment-Related Work Expense (IRWE)...there are others too....

3. storys5

storys5 New Member

My daughter lost all of her benefits when I returned to work. It was if our government said "oh her parents work so she isn't disabled anymore" "yeah right, they should live in my house for a couple of hours." She doesn't receive any social security disability income, because we both work. so good luck with getting your benefits back. the only benefits she receives is a $600.00 a month spendown in order to qualify for medicaid as a secondary insurance to our bc/bs and we do fortunatel qualify for benefits with the bureau of special health care needs. she gets a homemaker to stay with her during the day so I can work. this benefit is a god sent blessing. She is unable to go to school because of her respiratory problems and her homemaker stays with her.

4. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Yes, I get disability but have never lost benefits. I was under the impression that one could work and earn up to a certain amount before loss of benifits. I have never had to worry about it because I don't breath well enough to work anyway.

Good luck with your appeal.

5. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

Don't quote me on this but I think the rules for SSDI is different than for SSI when it comes to income.

All I know is that it is a pain times 10 trying to get SSDI. I applied last fall, was denied, filed an appeal in October and still have not heard anything. I just love why they denied me too. Said I could still drive a commercial vehicle filling vending machines (a job a had several years ago). I have a very bad back, can't lift anything heavy, can't sit for long periods of time, cant stand or walk for long periods of time with out being in major pain and I am taking heavy duty pain killers, all of which was part of my original application as well as listen on the appeal. [::)]

6. Kypopper

Kypopper PuP IN Resto!!

My father was a concrete finisher for 26years and has degerenative Disc disease and lives in constant pain. he fought for years but finally got his claim along with his full union pension. Just make sure you have all documents required. Stick with it!!

Good Luck!

Scott

7. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I've been on ssdi for five years now. If I listened to my doctor I would been on disability at least a year earlier.

My doctor had given me copies of some papers that he had originally sent to a hospital when I went to have some tests done and I had copies of those tests. Probably about three pounds of reports dating from at least a couple years.

The Social Security worker was very helpful and I had no problems at all getting benefits.

The only problem I have is paying my bills. [:(]

8. NatureGirl

NatureGirl New Member

My mother was recently approved for SSDI after an infection resistant to antibiotics made it necessary to amputate her leg below the knee. The infection was a result of a wound that she'd had on her foot for over a year, which wouldn't heal due to severe diabetes. She also has a weak heart and can barely climb a flight of stairs. I was amazed that she wasn't able to get SSDI before the amputation. The wound on her foot wouldn't heal because she had to be on her feet too much while working. Most likely, she'd still have two legs if she'd gotten SSDI a year ago. It's not even enough money to pay for the basic necessities, which is why she'll be moving in with me and DH next month. We're helping out as much as our finances will allow, but she'll still have to pay for her car, insurance, medical expenses, prescriptions, etc. I'd be interested to know if there are other programs available to her that might help her make ends meet.

9. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

Naturegirl there are several programs that your Mom may qualify for that can help pay for things.

Since she is disabled she may qualify for medicaid. I have heard that some states will offer a modified medicaid to those who meet certain income and other requirements even if they have medicare. Also many states have reduced or even free license plate or driver's license programs for the elderly and/or disabled.

In addition most drug makers have programs to cover all or part of the costs of medications for those who can not afford to. Also some doctor's if they know of a patient's financial problems paying for medication will give them samples or arrange for the meds through a drug rep.

I don't know how old your Mom is, but regardless of her age you or her should talk to your local senior center. They may know of programs available specific to your state.

==============================================================================
    I was recently talking to a lawyer I know who works for the IL attorney general's office and she was telling me about a guy she knows who lost both legs and an eye in an accident who has been trying to get SSDI for almost 3 years now. She went on to tell me about a woman she knows who two fingers and 1/2 of her third on her non dominate hand who got on SSDI on the first try.

The attorney did tell me too that she used to know one of the case workers who review SSDI applications and claims and she said that he would deny all claims unless it was terminal cancer regardless of the documentation provided, how many times they applied or submitted an appeal. She said he was proud of his record.

10. NatureGirl

NatureGirl New Member

Jim1999,

Thank you for the suggestions. My Mom is fairly young, only 62, but I'll get in touch with some senior centers in the area to see what programs might be available.

The system for reviewing claims is so unfair, and defies logic. Even after losing her leg, my mom didn't think she'd get SSDI. She'd heard so many horror stories of people far worse off than her who had to spend part of their retirement savings to hire an attorney to fight for them. My mom's podiatrist was fantastic though, and went above and beyond to do everything within his power to make sure her claim was approved.

11. singledad

singledad New Member

Jim I was trying for my ssdi since 97 for my low back pain kept getting denied even at the appeal counsel level, also 2001, and 2008. I just refiled back in April for muscle weakness in back, legs and arms. Also found out I most likely have cmt. Waiting to hear on decision. As far as appt fotr ALJ appeal, it can take over a year and to get a decision from Appeals counsel, it can take up to over 2 years. Good luck.

12. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

My words of advice is don't give up! appeal!!! I had to fight for my SSDI and it took 2 years to get it. I also get medicare parts A&B. Don't need prescriptions because I also have Blue Cross and the VA. If I didn't have the VA, I'd be dead now. They are the ones that found the cancer while everybody else was telling me I'm OK. My SSDI turns into my retirement at age 65. Don't give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. singledad

singledad New Member

Bill, i am not going to, because I know I can not do substancial work.

14. singledad

singledad New Member

I need to get a favorable decision on my ssdi by the end of 2013, or else I am out of work credits and won't be able to reapply.

15. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

You can contact legal services in your state and see if they can help with your appeal or you can contact a lawyer and get their free advice. At least with someone who knows the laws and "ins and outs" of SSDI it's nice to have someone on your side!! Max out of pocket a lawyer can charge you is $6,000.00

16. singledad

singledad New Member

I had a lawyer twice when I tried in the pst , went all the way to the appeals counsel and was still denied [:(!] [:(!] . Not going to pay $ for a civil suit. [:(O] [V] Just praying it goes through this time with the cmt as weight.

17. Ryoukoe

Ryoukoe New Member

My husband this year was approved for full disability through the VA after not being able to work since 2009. every year I filed an adjustment claim asking for 100% until someone finally stopped and listened. It takes so much hard work to get on any of these programs. We were lucky in that since the VA thought he was disabled SSDI did as well. Unfortunately in the state of Michigan you have to wait two years before you are eligible to even apply for Medicaid. I am a strong believer in that if you put hard work in to something someday it will pan out. We were lucky in that what I brought home every week was enough for us to survive but things were really tight most months.

18. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I am on ssdi, wish I wasn't, When I applied, it only took 3 months to be approved. A lot of the approval process depends on your DR'S

19. singledad

singledad New Member

Right now DS and I just barely make it on the c a , food wise we are good but boy cash is really tight. I need my ssdi to go through.

20. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

Like you, I got accepted the first time I applied, I would have to add that it also helps to have all of the information and records that you can get from doctors, hospitals and any clinics you have gone to with you when you apply.

In my case, I records and letters from my cardiologist to and from other doctors and two different hospitals and their records for various tests they did. So when I went to the S.S. office I had "all my ducks in a row" with like what I wrote in an earlier post, about 3 pounds of paper (I think I overwhelmed the worker)... I had been seeing my cardio for at least 30 years and he was the one that talked me in to retiring. Even then, I waited for a year before deciding - my body was ready but my head wasn't. It got so bad that I would get home at 4:00 fall asleep until supper then fall asleep until bed time. I then worked part time for six months getting home about 1:00 and doing the whole sleep routine. It ended up that I was afraid I would die with my head stuck in the CNC machine.

What really bugs me, is people who get accepted for disability have to wait two years before they become eligible for Medicare! What part of disabled do they not get?

Not to take anything away from people who really need SSDI, gosh no, when i was in the office applying, there were a couple of people applying that just show up with no paperwork, nothing, demanding that they receive SSDI. And now, with the current jobs availability there are more people applying so that makes it harder for the people that really need it.

Boy, when I get started I really get "Blabber fingers" don't I?