Is Camping in a PUP RVing?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by scubacamper, Aug 27, 2018.

1. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

On one of our first camping trips as a family, we saw another family "from another country" at a picnic table under a pavilion with sacks from Sonic. They didn't have a tent; they didn't have sleeping bags; they weren't even staying overnight. What they did have was a fire in the fire pit made from pine limbs and other scavenge, they had Mom and Dad and the children running around laughing and enjoying one-another's company and perhaps best of all, they had the biggest smiles on their faces.

Fortunately, for my parenting legacy, I didn't say what I originally thought (something to the tune of "That's fast-food, not camping"), but after I considered what I was watching, I was actually envious of their togetherness. There was no doubt in my mind that they were a family and that the whole point of their outing that day was spending time together.

I don't care if you have a tent, a p'up, a $400,000 class A or nothing but the trunk of a car; if you're out and about with your family, you have it ALL. And I don't care what you call it.

2. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Based on the following excerpt, a pop up is a recreational vehicle. And I can't wait to get out in our rv again!

ve·hi·cle
    ˈvēək(ə)l,ˈvēˌhik(ə)l/
    noun
    noun: vehicle; plural noun: vehicles
    a thing used for transporting people or goods, especially on land, such as a car, truck, or cart.
    synonyms: means of transport, conveyance, motor vehicle

3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that I am going "RVing" but rather "camping". DMV said nothing about "RVing" (VERB) so I'll just say I am not going "RVing" but "camping". In order to go "RVing", it sounds like you would have to stay inside RV but if you go "Camping", it sounds like you are spending time OUTSIDE!

tombiasi likes this.
  4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

As long as you enjoy your self any type of camping/recreation is great. With that being said I still feel that the camping I did in my 20s was more real camping. We would hike up a mountain trail and set up a campsite next to a stream. We might see one or two people hike pass us the whole weekend. Didn't even have a camp stove, cooked over the fire.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We only worried about definition when it came to certain camping spots. For example, there are some loops that are "tent-only". One is in Watchman CG at Zion NP, all popups, camper vans, TTs, RVs, or whatever else they may be called, have to camp in the other loops. Then there is the one CG in Yellowstone that only allows hard-sided camping, there have been some other temporary hard-sided only rules in the region this year too. We haven't stayed in any private resort-style campgrounds that limit age, type or size of the "RVs" they accept. (While plotting a possible trip last year, looking for an overnight stop with FHUs, I found one resort that our TT would have been within age specs, but at 17' is too small for their consideration.)
    Otherwise, we just go by the size of the campsite. We've used some campgrounds from tent day to now, with our TT. In some, we've had to find larger sites. Next week, we'll be in the same site we've used for 20 years - woth a couple of didffferent tents, both popups, and our TT.

6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

How about:

If you stay at an RV Park or Walmart, you're RVing.

If you stay at a campground or in a forest, you're camping.

crazymama30 and scubacamper like this.
  7. kitphantom

We only worried about definition when it came to certain camping spots. For example, there are some loops that are "tent-only". One is in Watchman CG at Zion NP, all popups, camper vans, TTs, RVs, or whatever else they may be called, have to camp in the other loops. Then there is the one CG in Yellowstone that only allows hard-sided camping, there have been some other temporary hard-sided only rules in the region this year too. We haven't stayed in any private resort-style campgrounds that limit age, type or size of the "RVs" they accept. More than likely,the only reasons we'd stay in one would be as our only choice in a location, or for a special event of some sort. (While plotting a possible trip last year, looking for an overnight stop with FHUs, I found one resort that our TT would have been within age specs, but at 17' is too small for their consideration.)
    Otherwise, we just go by the size of the campsite. We've used some campgrounds from tent day to now, with our TT. In some, we've had to find larger sites. Next week, we'll be in the same site we've used for 20 years - with a couple of different tents, both popups, and our TT.

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, at the pool someone asked my 6 yo if we were rv ing. She said camping. The asker then explained what an rv was. My daughter said we had a pop up. The other person had no idea what a pop up was. So we were told we were not rving or camping but somewhere in between. Lol . They also had filled there black water tank and couldn't use it untill they had it pumped out in a few days. They didnt have a sewer hook up. I said our sewer hook up and shower work great .

jnc, Halford and scubacamper like this.
  9. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

When I was in my 20's and early in the Navy I would disappear into the Blackwater State Park with a piece of Parachute, a Multi-tool and either my fishing rod and vest or a few minor supplies. Eventually I bought a 3 man dome tent and then after the girls got us into it many years later our first new 6-man tent, then a used PUP and now an almost new PUP Clipper with a Slide-Out and lots of bells and whistles...I really miss those early days in Blackwater SP and canoeing down Coldwater Creek; those in the Panhandle of FL and near it will know what I'm talking about.

Camping in a PUP is the best of Both Worlds and I find it interesting when my DW says "Find someplace for us camp soon." And like Orchid was saying it doesn't matter what you do, you're doing it as a family and our girls will NEVER forget these days. Hopfully they will repeat them with their children.

HappyTraveler, jnc, DJS12354 and 2 others like this.
  10. Lanternman

Lanternman Active Member

THAT is being in the outdoors! We have a small group of fellas who tent camp in the Uwharrie forest and have talked about going in with only what we could carry in one hand, but we all like beer too much when were around the fire, and coolers would qualify as two hands. Possible cooler amendment is in discussion.
    Back in the day, I would ride my Harley with a sleeping bag, change of clothes, a tarp, deodorant, tooth brush, and a wad of cash. Id use the bungee cords to secure the tarp to the bike, set a couple logs on the ground to pull it tight, lay down the bag under it and use the next days clothes for a pillow. Those were good times.....back then.

jnc, scubacamper and Rik Peery like this.
  11. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Ah, yes!

[​IMG]

Which begs the question. Are our Harleys RVs? In the purest sense of the term, they most definitely are! :)

jnc, Lanternman, RuthieS and 2 others like this.
  12. Toedtoes

Motorcycles can be RVs. If they are used for recreational purposes rather than commuting, etc. If you take it camping then it is a camper. :)

Lanternman likes this.
  13. Lanternman

Lanternman Active Member

HAHAHA yep, to a T! Bike isnt even too far off either! (actually still have it)
    Id sleep with my hand against the tire so if someone tried to move it id wake up....

14. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

I like this way of thinking. To me? Camping is boondocking. Even when I am at a campground without hookups, if I can hear the neighbors (even though most times they are great people) it just does not feel the same. Many times we go "camping" to be near attractions like the ocean or later at Wallowa Lake state park near Joseph Oregon and we just go site seeing during the day.

scubacamper likes this.
  15. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Until the Snow Birds and other BIG RV types found out about Blue Spring down here in Orange City we would take a long weekend and set up the PUP then drive down to Disney or Seaworld in Orlando driving back to the campsite at night but those days are over as it takes a cancellation or more than 8 months advance planning to get a spot there. Oh well, now we just drive down for the day.

16. Toedtoes

To me, that is what RVing is all about. Setting up a comfortable "home base" so you can go play, be a tourist, take in the sights and entertainment of another area, etc.

Camping, to me, is really about being in the wilderness. And I don't think it means you have to rough it or spend all your time outside - but you have to be there to enjoy being in the wilderness.

On the other thread, someone mentioned having health reasons that keep them inside the camper more than not. But they still go off into the wilderness to enjoy it as much as possible. So, even if it's looking out your window the entire time, to me that is camping because of the intent.

If your intent is to go into non-wilderness areas every day, then you are RVing.

One of my favorite campgrounds is about a mile outside a small town. This town is very much one of those small touristy towns - with the b&bs, restaurant, antique stores, etc. Many people who are staying in the campground, spend their days in town. Others spend their days in the campground, on the trails, in the creek,etc. To me, the former are RVers (even if they use tents) and the latter are campers.

17. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I love "camping" but I am aware that "RVing" is more comfortable than "Moteling" since that you have your personal things in the RV that you can't really bring to any motel/hotel.

18. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

This is all about personal definitions, and not meant to say that others' personal definitions are wrong.

I think it's all about the amenities. I spent a week in August on a supported bicycle tour. We slept in tents, showered in school gyms, and were served breakfast and lunch in school cafeterias. Half of us (me included) paid for an extra service to put up and teardown our tents, and included a private, comfortable pampering zone with snacks, shade, and charging stations. Despite sleeping in tents on an air mattress, I can’t really consider this camping, although a lot of the other cyclists probably did (especially those that did their own setup and teardown).

When I load up a canoe and head down the Ausable River, or pack up a bicycle with my own tent, or throw my stuff into the trunk and head off into a forest campground, I consider that “real” camping. When I’m in the pup at a state campground surrounded by fifth wheels and TT’s, I’ll joke that it’s not “real” camping, although it is camping. It’s even “real,” camping, but I won’t say that, to distinguish between “roughing it” and the relative comfort provided by a civilized state campground site with power and the ability to refill my water.

Last year we went camping near St. Mary’s, Ontario. It was early in the season, and an American holiday weekend (but not Canadian), so the campground was mostly empty, except the huge section full of park models. These aren’t mobile homes, but they’re not quite travel trailers, either. They’re permanently installed, but full time residence is not allowed. They’re essentially low-cost cabin-up-north substitutes (pretty neat, in fact). I can’t even begin to answer the question about whether or not these folks were “camping.” I’d say they’re not “RV-ing,” though, because these were pretty much permanently installed.

Personally, I don’t consider myself RV’ing unless I’m in a class A diesel pusher, moving across the country from place to place, over a lengthy duration. To compare, I’m lucky to have spent almost three weeks in New Zealand a few years ago with a Class C, moving across the country from place to place. I call even that “camping” rather than “RV-ing” because (trust me), a Class C Volkswagen camper van has a lot more in common with my pup than with one of those palaces on wheels (better to do all cooking outside, washed dishes in Holiday Parks’ communal areas, etc.).

You know what’s more important than choosing correct terminology, though? Getting out there and having some fun and experiences!

hq308 and scubacamper like this.
  19. kitphantom

It's an old argument - back in the early '50s, my parents built our one-room, little red cabin in the woods. My mom's uncle (born in the late 1800s) said it wasn't "really" a cabin because it had electricity. Heat by wood stove, outhouse behind it, a sink that drained, but we hauled water; we had lights and an electric cook stove. Our first pup was basically a tent on wheels, though we did have an LP stove, so had fewer amenities than the cabin. Second pup had a furnace, so we started to get more plush than the cabin.
    Our 17' TT is my "Little Red" cabin in the woods, and I admit it is very plush - on-board fresh water and waste tanks, hot water tank, power whether 12v or 110, furnace, flush toilet, A/C and microwave when we have power. So, I'm not primitive camping anymore, but I'm sure enjoying whatever it is that I'm doing.

20. Dread_Pirate_Bailey

Dread_Pirate_Bailey Member

I consider my hard sided 63 Holiday Rambler to be an RV, but when I got out in it, I say I'm going to the campground. It has a sink, stove, and electric hookups.

When I take my popup or my tent, I say I'm going camping.

It doesn't matter what anyone else, or anyone else's opinions of my campers. Fred (the Rambler) is vintage and looks neat. She always gets attention when we go places, because everyone loves a vintage RV camper.

Lily, the popup, is over 20 years old, looks well-loved and well-used. She doesn't get nearly as much attention, nor admiration, but she's my favorite!