Is Camping World going down?

Discussion in 'RV Industry & Camping Related News' started by Thox Spuddy, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Thox Spuddy

Thox Spuddy Member

I'm not going to bother with links to the stories as they are all over. I speak from personal observation of the local Gander Outdoors store, bought out by CW. They have been having very bizarre sales lately, a one day notice of 20% off sales for 48 hours, odd email discounts that don't work. The store seems to be overstocked on expensive Yeti coolers and nearly empty in other categories.

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me... we had a Gander Mountain. It closed and reopened later as Gander Outdoors... that closed while the grand opening banner was still hanging along I-41.

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We used to go to Gander Mountain in Middletown, NY. When Camping World took over we never went back.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

One word Amazon.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Camping world only just bought out an RV center near me just last year so if they were struggling I would hope they would watch their money. Now it's possible a certain store location didn't work out as they planned so they are trying to recoup some of their operating costs before closing. My camping world doesn't have the sales you are talking about. Although I personally avoid them at all costs as they are expensive and treat popup owners as inferior (my opinion).

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Our local Camping World had four really nice brand new trailer stolen off their lot the other night.

Seriously, FOUR!?! Who else thinks that was an inside job? I guess they figure they're going out of business and losing their job anyway I may as well take some profit with them. If course it's more likely end up in jail. If I have a list of suspects, I'm sure the police do as well.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Last time I went to a Camping World (I believe Lakewood, NJ) I was with my friend and his dad. We were shopping for some accessories. A salesman came over and asked if we needed anything and asked wht type of campers we had. Well, my friend and his dad both had TT and I had a pup. The salesman heard I had a pup and then completely ignored me. I even asked where the fold up garbage cans were and he walked away from me. My friend and his dad were like "what just happened?". So yeah, it's real!! After that I never went back to a CW store again.

I think when they took over Gander Mountain they bit off more than they could chew!!

Orchid, Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

SNOBS! They didn't even want to deal with us, when looking at inexpensive travel trailers for our son years ago. As soon as the salesman found out that the $70k + fifth wheels were out of the budget, he lost interest in helping us at all.

I never wanted anything to do with that place after that. Went back once, at my husband's insistence, after failing to find a certain part anywhere online. My husband had the part in his hand, and one of the parts guys actually went and found it and took it off one of their trailers and gave it to my husband for free. The parts people were nothing like the sales staff and pushy cashiers.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

About 7 years ago. I stop at one on the road 1,500 miles from home. Along I-75 outside tampa. My brake lining became free from the shoe. After waiting for 20 minutes for help. I found out they did not carry a very common brake shoe or the entire backing plate assembly. The never stocked it.

I would not wast my time stop at a certain in the future.

10. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

I've both read and seen a video lately indicating there are several class action cases against them.

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Camping World is yet another business that people seem to love to hate. They vary widely, as do most franchises and chains. We've had good experiences with the one here, though we go to our dealer when possible. I went to one back east that would make me not want to go to another one, had I not been in a couple of others that were very good.
    In addition to other goings-on, there was recently a report of a RV radio/internet show host that really want to take CW down, and supposedly has started rumors that they are failing.
    For us, we'll continue to shop there when they have the items we need - our dealer (who has good prices) does not carry everything, and as much as I shop Amazon, some things are just best seen in person. The CW nearest us is technically in town, but is 20 miles from our house, though.

12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

It seems you can't go online without somebody badmouthing Camping World. I suspect a lot of the griping is just piling on though by folks who have never set foot in a CW store.

We bought our NTU Travel Trailer at Camping World in Kansas City and couldn't be happier. The sales process was straightforward with no BS, and because we didn't have a place to store it, they let us keep it on their lot for about three weeks at no charge.

Part of the deal with CW that seems to upset a lot of folks is they market you to death. (Full disclosure: they told us that was coming when we bought the TT). The good part is with the free Good Sam membership we received, we've got a few good deals on items at CampingWorld.com.

Fless and kitphantom like this.
  13. Thox Spuddy

Thox Spuddy Member

Whatever is going on, we need to have a retail outlet for camping supplies. Walmart's Ozark Trail line is pretty good and there are other local fleet stores that have sporting departments and a good number of privately owned RV/camper outlets, so it isn't the end of the world should our local Gander store folds.

Rik Peery likes this.
  14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have been to a few of the Gander Outdoors stores, and they pretty much sucked. Nothing like the old Gander Mountain, which I liked although their prices weren’t always the best. Now they seem to have a bunch of off brand crap, and very little of the camping/hunting stuff. I heard they bought the company solely for their boat dealership network more than anything else.

They bought a lot of local RV dealerships around me. I used to like going the Camping World parts stores, but they are fading away and getting incorporated on a much smaller scale with dealerships. I’lll go every once in while when I am in the area, but usually I don’t see anything I need to get.

15. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Tough to beat the convenience of Amazon and Walmart (Free Ship to Store) for camp gear.

Good chunk of my camp kitchen was purchased from Walmart, Lodge cast iron items, Coleman stove and gear. Walmart has really good prices on Coleman gear.

If it is an item I'm not quite sure about, I will order through Walmart, easier to return. Though I have not had any returns on camp gear with Amazon or Walmart.

Tough for Brick & Mortar stores to compete with Amazon and Walmart. Research on internet, then order exactly what you want :)

16. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I don't have much use for Walmart anyway, but their online store has a long way to go to catch up with Amazon.

17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Agreed, but the ones by me, even in the suburbs, have lots of stuff if you need it in a pinch.

18. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Our Camping World in Dothan has had the building outside (front) repainted and the new signs say Gander Outdoors, nothing about Camping World is mentioned.

19. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Only thing I like about the Columbia Camping World is they fly a huge American flag. Love to see that Old Glory fly in a good breeze. She was flying well today.

20. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Local Gander Mtn. sucked at one time, CW right across the road from 'em; when CW took over Gander here, it actually improved both, go figure...unless I for sure have to have something, I hit the sales...as w/ any business, I try to use them more than they use me...