Is everything easier for other people?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Orchid, Sep 11, 2011.

1. bfaley

bfaley New Member

Yes. Yes it is. I've had my PUP for a year and haven't slept in it once. I got it for free because it needed a "little work" and everything I touch turns into another issue. Couple that with being a broke 26 year old, and "inexpensive" fixes still take a hit on the wallet.

2. madfireball

madfireball New Member

Its always easier for everyone else.

3. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

My Volvo has a 5-speed manual because the torque converter in the automatic it used to have began to slip.

4. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

If it is usable, then use it... the "fixes" can wait unless it is something major like missing bunk end poles, bearing burnt up, stuff like that. Otherwise just take it out and use it, and just do the small minor fixes as time goes along and money comes available. Thats what we have done as a broke family of 4 (in our early 30s).

5. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Ditto what Screwball said - bigtime. I have yet to see anything that says a pup (or any other camper for that matter) has to be 100% perfect to get out and camp in it. If it's safe to tow, safe to camp in, keeps you warm and dry, and doesn't smell like a pair of sweat socks found in an abandoned fish & chips bag in a locker room (you're welcome for that,) I say camp heck out of it and fix the cosmetics as you use it.

As far as something being easy is concerned, I think Blkvoodoo hit the nail on the head when he said it's in the eye of the beholder. What some seem to forget is that when we see someone make something look easy is the number of years and the amount of practice they've had at whatever it is they're doing.

6. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

So true.................... right now there is somebody building a pup roof from scratch using metal framing and aluminum skin, the darn thing looks like it was made on a factory assembly line instead of a DIY back yard project, he's doing a great job. There is another Portal member who is actually making a 12 ft hard side TT on his pup frame, he custom made his own cabinetry, walls, ect. They certainly are making it look easy, but it's far from it.

7. bfaley

bfaley New Member

It needs a roof, and a new deck on the tongue to mount the winch b/c the old one has lost a lot of integrity...I'll wait :)

8. wmorris11

wmorris11 New Member

I know for me, nothing goes wrong when I help other people with their projects. It isn't until I start my own projects that things get crazy. I usually throw a few choice words around then grab a beer or three then wait for the next day to try to figure out how I am going to go about re-fixing what needs to be fixed.