Is good when the Mrs agrees with you

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Raycfe, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Some of you may find this odd but here is the story ....
    There is just the 2 of us and Quincy and we have a single axle 17 foot hybrid. Kind of just the right size. But it the back of my mind I wish it was just a little bigger and had 2 axles. Well a friend of a friend of a friend stopped by and told me of the perfect hybrid camper for us. It sounded interesting ...so we looked at it. Great shape, roomy layout, with a kick-out for the sofa and galley, but for one thing ....... 25 feet long inside.
    I am not a fan of slide outs, so this shallower kick-out seem like maybe a do. But it 8 feet longer. Two old farts don't need all of this. But I must say I was impressed with the condition.
    Finally I took a deep breath and said the words that my wife may not want to hear .... "its too big for us". The Mrs agreed.
    There was a time in our life that we went from the little cape house ....... to the normal size ranch house ........ a thought about that nice big dream house ....... then it happen, the kids got married and had there own places and the dream house was no longer needed.
    The one thing I really should have done was tear down the one car garage I have now and build something that holds 6. (I like cars).
    Now I am not knocking large campers, many families need and will enjoy them ....... just not for us.

And lastly ..........have a happy a safe thanksgiving ..........we are going to the kids, Grandma not cooking anymore, she has done it enough times.

NLB, neighbormike, Sjm9911 and 3 others like this.
  2. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside...

When Mama's happy...

I have the camper I have because my wife wanted giant windows, etc. Totally get where you are coming from. Have a great time with your family!

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I bought both of my campers without her even seeing them. Matter of fact, I bought the first one without us even talking about getting a camper. Same for my last TV. I ordered it and texted her that I had a new truck on the way.

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Only time the wife would agree w/ me would be if I told her I'd be gone for 6 months lol...I'm in the same boat w/ xxxapache; I buy THEN tell, easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...enjoy the food & fellowship, we'll be up on the side of a mountain face planting whatever my niece & her hub are fixing, been a few years since the wife engaged in hosting the mega food fest...

neighbormike and gladecreekwy like this.
  5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Wife and I agree on 99.9% of subjects. We read each other's minds. Makes for a trouble-free existence.

6. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

That’s way too big for us. We got the smallest pop up we could find and when we got the TT we did the same. The four of us and two big dogs are just fine in our 18 footer. Slide outs, multiple axles and tires are just more things to worry about IMO. We spend very little time inside. Rather be able to drag it to the middle of nowhere than have a couch

neighbormike likes this.
  7. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Brave

Sjm9911 and theseus like this.
  8. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside...

I'd better have won the lottery if I did that.

Sjm9911 and gladecreekwy like this.
  9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Bigger is definitely not always better! Pretty darn happy with my 20’ - no slide unit… but every once in a while Lexie starts whispering to me she wouldn’t mind something just a smidge bigger [LOL][:)C]
    Edit: to be honest, I haven’t found anything that I like better or would work better for the way Lex & I camp… if & when I do, I will make a change.

Rik Peery, xxxapache and Raycfe like this.
  10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I usually don't ask about what I am going to buy, but it good to keep her in the loop. And when it comes to camping my wife is not a camper so her little input helps keep things running smoothly.

neighbormike, Rik Peery and xxxapache like this.
  11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I wanted to sell my TT this year because of the great prices it's brand are bringing. Then, wait until the crisis settles and buy a 2020 or newer of the same make only about 5 feet longer. She didn't want me to sell and have us be camperless for an unknown amount of time.

neighbormike likes this.
  12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My folks had a 25+' TT and although I towed it a short distance and it was doable I just cannot see myself in such a large unit especially towing in the mountains I like. Now personally I love my popup with slide out and may strongly consider a slide out in my next unit. Especially since the dogs probably won't be able to get off the floor as easy in a Hybrid or TT. So tripping over them will be a bigger problem. I had my eye on an RPod although would probably want a double axle for more capacity, although it is a negative if I need to take a toll road somewhere. Tolls are so darn expensive especially if I want to go to the coast. So much to think about when I get to that point. In the meantime my popup is still my favorite and doesn't require a larger truck.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    myride and neighbormike like this.
  13. 1800 Blue Ridge Rider

1800 Blue Ridge Rider Passed Camping 101, 202, & 303 Gold Supporting Member

Agree with most about this. When we started shopping for a new to us pup, we thought we really wanted a dinette slide out for the extra space it creates. After looking at a very nice unit with that feature we both agreed we were over that "need" and bought a good bit smaller pup. It just seemed like a lot of extra work at set-up/teardown. We also realized we didn't need two king beds to be comfortable. So we ended up with a fairly basic Flagstaff MAC 206LTD with a full and a queen. Good thing too, 'cause shortly after we got it I traded trucks and went from a Nissan Titan to a Toyota Tacoma 4 banger. The much lighter weight of the pup meant I could get the truck I wanted and get rid of the fuel monster. Never been happier with either purchase!

Raycfe and Rik Peery like this.