Is it against etiquette......

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Greywuff, Feb 8, 2012.

1. PDieter

PDieter Member

UT

not to highjack this thread but your understanding of the property boundaries of Puget Sound waterfront are not fully correct. The instance you site of a road end is accurate that would be an area of public access between the houses but beach ownership on puget sound varies with each area or housing development. The traditional public right of way was to the mean high tide but decades ago the state took an opportunity to raise some money and allowed some to purchase to low tide or in some cases to the shipping lanes. Therefore there is no single legal standard to approach the beaches here, you actually have to either take the waterfront owner's word or research the titles of each particular beach. It's a mess, and a damn constitutional shame.

I fly fish the sound so this is something I have everyday experience with and have researched. It's something we have to protect from happening to our river access rights.

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I will say that I don't have direct experience in other parts of the Sound, only on Bainbridge Island, where I lived for 16 years. I can tell you that there were many long and nasty fights about these points there and the comments I made here were drawn from things I heard at those meetings. I guess there is always more to any given story than what appears on the surface.

3. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

When I camp at a state park or campground, I would like my actions to be such that no one knows I am there unless they want to know I am there. There are some friendly people that may go camping to get away and have some solitude and I want to respect that. Before I engage in conversation with someone, I attempt to determine, and it is hard to do and not always perfect, if it would be an interruption or something welcomed. I may just say hello and keep walking by, but I can generally tell one way or the other.
    I have camped at a state park that the only place there was cell phone coverage is standing right on the edge of the lake. To get to the lake, in the campground area required walking between two campsites. I checked my messages and made a call home once each day. Depending on the situation, I might say something before walking between the two sites or I might just make my trip down to the water’s edge without saying anything. In either case, I made the best attempt I could to respect other’s “space” and I don’t think it was ever an issue. I think what I was doing was very obvious.
    One thing I will say, in the day we live in, I would be very careful where there are young kids involved. A stranger walking through someone’s campsite where there are kids would always look a little suspect to a prudent parent. The issue is, who defines the “edge” of the campsite or where one campsite starts and the other one begins? Parents are right to be suspect of people when it comes to their kids and I think the presence of kids changes the dynamics of things totally. It becomes more that just etiquette at that point. None of us may like that, but in today’s world that is just the way it is.

4. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

Looks like we got it all worked out... stopped in at the CG today, made reservations for 5 waterfront lots. Talked to the Park Ranger...fishing and small watercraft launching are permitted from "your campsite" if...IF you rented the site. You can't use it without permission form the person who rented it.
    These rules seem pretty reasonable to me, afterall, if I had rented a site for a weekend and had to put up with several people fishing from it all weekendm, I'd be upset as well!
    Glad we got all this straight!

5. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

That's a cool rule I wish more places did that !

6. SmokinL

SmokinL New Member

Hi all ... new to the site, but a long time Camper and Scouter.

One of the rules we teach our Scouts about campsites in general, if you don't rope off your campsite, don't expect anyone to ask for permission to enter and/or pass through.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I have seen very few places where people have roped off their campsites. In some places it is actually prohibited to have clotheslines, etc. up, at least for any extended time; often it is in areas where wildlife travels through the campground, or as a means to try to keep the wear and tear on the trees to a minimum. We have never been asked to remove our table canopy, which has 10 guy lines, but we've wondered even about that when animal traffic is common. The last place I encountered rope restrictions for wildlife was at Grand Canyon South Rim in the fall, there are elk wandering through the campground.
    The only time in 20+ years we put up perimeter lines was a few years ago in Watchman CG in Zion. We were in a site which backed up to another in the next loop, and there were a bunch of 20-somethings tromping through, to get to the restroom on our loop (theirs was a bit farther away). We used our elastic clothesline between trees at the back of our site, with something on each section so it was visible. It cut down the traffic, between our tents (we had 2), but finally, the friend with me got disgusted at yet another trip with loud flip-flop footsteps inches away from her head at midnight. She got out of the tent, waited for the person to return, and pointed out that such travel was rude - we had no more issues.
    Most campers we encounter understand a certain unseen border to each campsite, without use of fences.

8. Rustyk

Rustyk New Member

How are you going to feel when people walk through your water front sites to access the water? Me I wouldn't care at all. I think people are too goofy about people walking through the edge of their sites. Who cares, walk around the front, back, side, of the site you are on. For me its just about getting away and out with my family. Here in the US. we are too uptight about "our" personal space, How many times have you gone out to a deli or fast food restaurant and it was packed and it never fails there is a person sitting at a table for 4 or more and they are alone, Here most people would never think of sitting down with them. In most other places of the world they would sit down and not think anything about it. We need to relax and stop stressing over the little things and try to enjoy life a little better. We have formed quite a few relationships by walking through our neighbors sites.

9. Bonniy

Bonniy arizona bred and born

if I had a lake side view, I would expect if someone wanted to walk through it, that they would ask first if it was on my campground, I'd most likely say yes but please stay at the edge of the site,
    Second, if there was what looked like a no mans land, I'd ask the CGH if the no mans land was for others to use to access the lake, if he said yes, I'd have no problems of people walking there, and would ask CGH if I could put a rope between our site and the no mans land area to distinguish the areas.
    If it is not open to crossing by others, I would inform anyone that tried to cross, that the CGH said it is not advisable to use that area for access to the lake

simple and sweet

10. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

I agree with CApoppy, ask the person at the gate if not, the camp manager they should know.

11. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Running, screaming children playing
    Dogs taking themselves for a walk
    Adults checking MY fire pit for leftover wood (while I'm still camping)

Things like this, I HATE and will make direct contact with the CG folks about it. It's not worth me getting into a shouting match over what is clearly NOT within the rules OR etiquette.

If folks need to walk right past my bunk end (which is generally hanging outside the assigned area) to get to the bathroom, or dock, or whatever, I really can't complain because I'm the one who chooses to back all the way in so my truck will fit on site. If I had a waterfront site with space between sites, I'd welcome folks using it to get to the water, as I've been welcomed to do. All I ask is that the running, screaming kids don't do it every 15 mins.. THEN, I nicely ask the parents if they could cut the access down to a few trips a day and have never been given so much as a smirk.

Now if this were my HOME, and not my home away from home, I will and do confront folks who feel the space between me and my neighbors is their personal cut through to the park behind me. It's illegal, rude, drives my dogs crazy, and if I EVER see the kid who threw a rock at my dogs again, I just might end up in jail for public SPANKING.

But for the record, you guys who say you've asked and cut through in the past SURELY don't expect that just because YOU now have the site, no one is allowed to cut through, no matter the rules. You just can't have it both ways and be happy. Just my [2C] on a gorgeous Easter Sunday.
    [:D]

12. bflentje

bflentje Member

A catch 22.. two totally different people who think they own the world. The knucklehead walking through the camp site and the camper thinking that the own the place. Both lack something.. it's easy to point out the trespasser but the angry camper, that's more subtle. [:O]

13. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

Walking under my awning, or between my truck and camper, I wouldn't like it much. Skirting the edge of the campsite while passing through, I am fine with that.
    If I do it I will normally wave or say hi, but I wouldn't walk right next to any body's camp and usually keep some space between myself and their property even when it is right next to the pavement or trail.
    I don't think people go camping to be crabby, but you may still be working some of it off!

14. CommaHolly

CommaHolly New Member

Interesting conversation,.,,

and something to think about,,,,,I am booking a lake side lot for my week long camping trip in June, and now I'm reconsidering,,,,,,

frankly, I really don't care if someone quietly walks the edge of the camp site to get to another spot. A "howdy" would be nice, though, if only so I know they are there and don't jump 50 feet.

What I remember from camping though (admittedly, this was a LONG time ago,,,,,I think the last time we went camping was 11 years ago!), camp grounds are some of the friendliest places......

campers are generally considerate, and I haven't had TOO many problems,,,,,,,

and the problems I've had were usually with unruly kids, not adults.

I hope they haven't changed too much.

15. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Holly, all campgrounds haven't all changed very much.

Like you, we don't get all bent out of shape if someone wants to pass along our site to get to the lakeside. After all, why would they have chosen a campground on a lake if they couldn't get to it easily? It's a simple courtesy to share something so nice with others. Yes, it would be great if they said hello or asked first, but on the other hand, they may be thinking it's nicer not to disturb you. Some people get all apoplectic over this and I can't understand why.

Please go, and have a great time.

16. CTW

CTW New Member

There is a private CG we have frequented many times over the years in Bedford PA with their own lake on the property and also a trout stream along the backside. The way they set up their waterside sites was that there was a "common area" from the waters edge back 10-15 feet or so and if you had a waterside site you actually were prohibited from setting up in that area. You had to set up in your "site" which began at the edge of the "common area" but was still convenient because you had direct access to the waters edge.

Made sense that the lake needed to and should be able to be used / accessed by all the campers and not just the ones camping on the waters edge. There were usually a few "paths" between some of the wider sites that were used for access. After one trip there if we wished to avoid extra foot traffic we simply chose a different site off the beaten path so to speak.

But I would have to agree that everyone we ever encountered was always friendly regarding water usage and getting to/from the water. [:D]

http://www.friendshipvillagecampground.com/default.asp?file=SiteMap

17. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

Usually when we go camping, there are a group of about 6 to 8 couples that try to get lots together. We usually gather in a common area on somenoes site and set up there for conversation, etc. I have purchased a kayak between our last outing and this one, and wanted to do some fishing. Several of the other men have decided to bring friends kayaks and some are planning on renting canoes from the CG. Ended up with 2 waterfront lots and two directly accross the street/road. With 2 tents or a pup and a tent on each lot, its gonna be a little crowded, but we are gonna make it work. TO my knowledge we have not been a problem to anyone yet, or at least noone has said anything to us if we were. And we even have our own little "Church" service on one evening during our outings. We have invited others to join us...some did and some didn't.
    I figure it this way. We are just a bunch of "home folk" wanting to get away for the weekend. If you wanna pull up an chair around the fire with us, come on over. The more, the merrier!!! If we're making too much noise for ya, just give us a yell and we will tone it down. (Some times us old folk don't realize we are talking that loud...we need to be reminded.) Be nice to me...I'll be nice to you. Be rude to me....I'll smother ya with kindness and pray for ya when you walk off.

18. Bonniy

Bonniy arizona bred and born

I am not an angry camper, but if I do rent that space for however long that I am staying, then yes I do own that site while I am there, I don't mind people using the edge of a site, but I've had people walk right through our site, to me that is just plain rude, I take it you don't mind having people walking all over your site, and for you that is ok, but for me I really don't want someone walking all over my site just to go somewhere, and yes I do expect them to ask if they can walk around my site, I don't really see a problem with that way of thinking

19. BIGGUNNER

BIGGUNNER New Member

saying hi or any other greeting is nice. just because i have a particular spot on the water does not mean I'm the only that can use it.

20. IslandR

IslandR Flagstaff 228D

To walk across someone else's site is plain flat out rude. What if they are having their family dinner or relaxing reading a book? And we just cut through their site mindlessly? This is someone's planned vacation: They have their own expectations and none of us are really part of the plan. Asking is a display of manners and respect for your fellow campers. Waterfront or not, no one should be crossing over the site of another. We book hotels and we don't allow for others to walk into our rooms to look out the window to get a better view. Invading someone else's right to privacy is rude. Stuck up or snobby? Thats just passing the buck to compensate for lack of manners and self-entitlement.