Is it against etiquette......

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Greywuff, Feb 8, 2012.

1. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

You ALL would love Korea!
    People only walk through our site ONCE, though.
    But it is becoming more and more rare now.
    In 2006? It was dumbfounding... LOL

2. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Walking through one's campsite is presumptuous, assuming the violator has bothered to have given thought to the concept of etiquette. If they haven't, then doing so is a normal course of action for them and have obviously been raised incorrectly. So, the proper course of action for the person residing across from the water seeking access is to establish a relationship with the current occupier with access, and simply ask for permission, then use it reasonably. All others should just use a non intrusive route. True, we don't own the outdoors, but we certainly have an expectation of reasonable space restriction by others when we establish a campsite, paid for or not. If there is an established marked pathway intended for water access by the public at large, then the campsite occupier can have no expectation against intrusion.

That's why I choose my sites wisely. Not by a path, near or next to a pool, playground, trolley stop, restroom, store etc.

My [2C] . Has worked for me.

Happy Campin'

J

3. sd102

sd102 New Member

When we camped at Ludington SP a few years ago, there was a trail to the sand dunes right behind our site. Some people came through and said "excuse us" or "do you mind..." etc. We didn't mind at all, but it was certainly nice of those people to ask or acknowledge us. I would probably do the same.

4. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

Funny no one has mentioned that many campers will have their dog on a tie out that might or could reach the edge of the site... my [2C] Say HI, and be friendly to who ever has the bordering site and ask them or let them know that you would most likely be coming through to put your Kayak in the water. If they say that you shouldn't or that it wouldn't be a good idea, then you've opened up a dialog with them.

5. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

We found a happy compromise a couple of years ago. It was our first time at a particular state park and we were camped across from the site on the water. That site was vacant for the first few days and we used it as launch point for our kayaks as the ramp was not close. We paddled back in one evening and the site was occupied. We floated and struck up a conversation with the lady sitting there and asked if we beach and pass thru. As we continued to talk, she was asking about the kayaks (we had 4 or 5 with us) and stated that her kids had always wanted to try them out. I proposed that I would teach her kids how to kayak if we could use their beachfront for the remainder of the trip. I also said that they were welcome to use the kayaks, with adult supervision, for the rest of the trip as long as we were not heading out. It worked out well for everyone involved and we ending sitting around the campfire together one evening. A little conversation can go a long ways sometimes.

6. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

How did you get your Pup across the pond? Tip it over and let it float on it's top?

7. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

IslandR applaud applaud

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

^^^thats the way to do it right^^^^^. Good for you. That's what makes camping enjoyable. Thanks for sharing, both times.

J

9. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

So that's why the roof doesn't fit... LOL

10. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I have found that by sitting around the campfire in your underwear, not only do people not walk across your site, they will not choose the site next to you. if they are already there when you arrive they will pack up and move.

11. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

That's too funny. Even as warped as I am, I wouldn't have thought of that. Nice job...

12. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] I might have to try that

13. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I may be on to something with this..........It also works with this thread and is way easier than lugging a Tuba around.
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=70362.msg634616#msg634616

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

14. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

To get maximum effectiveness do both.

15. phantom_yj

phantom_yj New Member

We were camping at a private CG in WA. Like most private places they cram you into the parking lot like sardines. We had just sat down to eat lunch at our picnic table when these two extremely loud and obnoxious women walked right through the middle of our site. They literally walked under our awning. That wasn't the worst part though, they both had these little yappy dogs who started to bark at us. To make matters even more intolerable, they stopped to visit each other IN our campsite. They were so close to us that their leashed rat dogs started coming up to our picnic table and began to beg for our hotdogs.

I like to consider myself a pretty laid back guy, and passing along the outside edge of the site is fine with me, but these two didn't even acknowledge we were sitting there. Nor did they hush their dogs or pull them away from our lunch table. This behavior is completely unacceptable.

I know the OP was asking about a specific cg but it brought back memories of this experience and I wanted to share.

16. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

What did you do about this?

17. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

ummm... I think we're neighbors at an upcoming rally...{gulp} [:O]

18. phantom_yj

phantom_yj New Member

At the time, nothing because I didn't want a scene in front of my kids, but now I very strategically place my TV and pup to make it quite difficult to pass through the middle of my site

19. pcfeld

pcfeld New Member

Friends mentioned how they had someone next to them that allowed their dogs almost reach their firering on the leash. After a period of time he mentioned loudly to his wife "What happened to all of the chocolate for the smores that was sitting on the bucket?" I guess his wife responded back louder, "I believe those stupid dogs ate the complete bag." All they seen were a-holes and elbows as the neighbors tossed the dogs into the car and took off.

20. steved

steved New Member

Exactly...saying the (insert stream, lake, pond, puddle, river, etc. here) is solely for those who got the waterfront location is absurd. Unless there is another more public access, they leave those spaces for "public" access.

If there is a space between the other campers, use it...as long as you are not walking right through their campsite, and its no different than "open space" in a $1M housing development; everyone expects to be able to use that space that nobody actually owns.