Is it common to need a long extension?

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by TrailerMomma, Aug 23, 2017.

1. TrailerMomma

TrailerMomma Member

Just wondering about the electrical hookups at Ontario provincial parks. My new pup has a 30' (9m) cord for 30a hookups, but I'm wondering if I should buy another 50' of 30a extension? I'll be camping at Long Point in a few weeks (maiden voyage for the pup), and Oastler Lake at thanksgiving.

2. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

Better to have the extra cable and not need it, than get there and wish you had one...

Enjoy the maiden outing!

3. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

That is an awful long cord. Might get a voltage drop that far away. They are only thirty feet long for that reason.

4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I've only camped at one OPP, Inverhuron, and I needed probably 20' more electric cord beyond the 15' factory cable.

5. TrailerMomma

TrailerMomma Member

Well, the cable that came with mine is 30 feet. However, when I look at the campsite details on the Ontario Parks website, on the two sites I've reserved, the distance listed for the electrical hookup is 12 metres and 18 metres. That's 40 feet and 60 feet. I'd hate to be paying for an electrical hookup I can't use because it's too far away.

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Wal Mart sells them. If you don't need it you can return it, just leave it in the package.

I have heard that a lot of Canadian sites have long runs for utilities.

7. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

You should definitely get the extra cord. In my experience at Ontario PP, you often share an electrical post with another site. I used 75ft at Inverhuron in May. The Ontario PP website suggests: "Be sure to bring at least 100ft of extension cord. Many of our posts are quite far from a campsite." I don't know if you will need an extra cord at Oastler--I bet that Snow could tell you--but you will likely need one in the future.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  8. Strawhouse

Oops, duplicate post...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  9. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Definitely you should have extra extension cords when camping in provincial parks. I carry 2 50ft extensions and there are 3 times I can think of where I could have used 3.
    I try to run the cords along the perimeter of the site to avoid the tripping hazard possibility as well as being run over when parking. I have needed extra length at Pinery, McGregor Point, Balsam Lake, and Arrowhead PP. I haven't camped at either of the 2 parks you mention.............yet.

10. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

They recommend a 100' extension. I would suggest getting 3 extensions - a 50' and 2x 25' - rather than a single VERY long (and heavy) 100' extension. That combination gives you plenty of flexibility and you're limiting the amount of excess wire that is doing nothing more than wasting power ** (and possibly causing problems). Keep the runs as short as possible.

** Math time :eek:
    (in God we trust, all others bring data)

For general calculation, we assume that wire has zero resistance. When we start getting into longer runs with higher current draw, the inherent resistance of the wire becomes important.
    For 8AWG wire: resistance = 0.6282 ohms per 1000', 0.0006282 ohms per foot

For this discussion, let's assume that you're maxing out the circuit and that you're pulling 30A through the 30' of wire your PUP has + 100' of extension cord. Since the power cords actually have a total of 260' of wire in them (130' for each, hot and neutral) we're going to take the base calculated numbers and double them.

Power
    power (in watts) = current (in amps) ^2 * resistance (in ohms)
    power = 30^2 * (130 * 0.0006282) = 73.5watts of power lost to each wire in the transmission line, so multiply that by 2 == 147watts of power lost to the transmission line.

Voltage Drop
    voltage drop across a resistor -- or the wire in this case = current (in amps) * resistance (in ohms)
    voltage drop across the wire = 30 * (130 * 0.0006282) = 2.45 Volts -- again x2 = 4.9V

Assuming a 120V line, 4.9V = 4%. It's well within the allowable +/- 10% tolerance for electrical power. HOWEVER, if the park voltage is running low (112V -- which is already -6% ), that added 4% could put you over the top and you may have problems in the PUP.

WunFiddy likes this.
  11. TrailerMomma

TrailerMomma Member

Thanks for the great replies. Went out at lunchtime and bought Canadian Tire's very last 50' extension. Should do me for the first two camp outs, and I can add a 25' one later.

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We don't have AC, but if I ever needed a longer cord than the 40 or 50' I currently have with the PUP's cord plus the extension it came with, I'd just bring a standard grounded 12awg outdoor cord. That can handle 20A theoretically (15 comfortably, with voltage drop).

At this point, all the places we've camped with power have had it very close though.

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm late to this party..lol

I carry 2x25ft and 1x50ft 30 amp rv extensions with me and I have thought of adding a third 25ft cord.. yeah I know I carry a bunch of stuff (70ft or so of water hose, think its 6 or 7 bags of lynx levelers, two canopy tents.. well you get the picture..lol)

The sites at Oastler that we are in aren't too bad, if the site description is saying you need a long run then it is cause you have to run the cord across your site from trailer to post.

As Strawhouse mentioned, there are parks where 100ft run is common so yes take note of the distant to power post on the site descriptions..

Still two sites available (I just checked), you can cross Oastler off your "haven't camped there" list .. :D

14. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

A 100ft cable in a heavy gauge (to avoid v/a drops) might get a little spendy. If it were me, I'd invest that money into a solar panel or 2..........oh wait, I already did! I also carry a cord or two because you never know when you're going to need them.

15. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Snow, it must take you a little while to pack up on Sunday morning. [:D]

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Sometimes, all depends on what gets used. I may have to thin things out a bit in the future...

17. Strawhouse

They recommend 100' of extension...
    That is my eventual goal, too!

It is also important to note that some PP offer extension cords 'on loan' with a deposit (eg. Inverhuron PP) or daily/weekly 'rental' (eg. Awenda PP). If this service is offered, it will be listed under the 'Facilities' tab on the PP website. Of course, there is no guarantee that they will have one available for your visit.
    Knew you would arrive at some point, Craig!;):D

18. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Two other handy things to have are a 15amp to 30amp adapter ( think everyone at this years past Summer Rally used one) as well as a 50amp to 30amp adapter, I have been on a few sites at a couple parks with new or updated power posts that only offered 50amp/15amp service or were setup with 4- 15amp plugs, 1x50amp & 1x30amp (our site at the KoTS Rally in May was like this, I had to use my adapter and plug into the 50amp spot since the 30amp was taken by the guy beside us..)

19. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

That is quite a distance from the power pole. Guess that is why I am visualizing a big spool being reeled out of an additional trailer!

Strawhouse likes this.
  20. Strawhouse

Chris, I can just picture you towing an Aliner Alite--with the cording dangling out the back--behind your Sport! :p