is it just me?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by 88PUP, May 6, 2014.

1. 88PUP

88PUP being crazy- has kept me from going insane

Sometimes we run into a problem that maybe to most is not a problem. We are friendly folks and enjoy meeting others, but we also like some privacy so we can relax and talk to one another in a quite and relaxed atmosphere. Where the problem that we seem to run into more often than not, is neighbors who don't know when to leave! I mean it's nice for someone to come over and speak, introduce themselves, and have some nice conversation, But.... when they see you outside the camper, and I mean ANYTIME they see you outside, which for us is most of the time, here they come, and stay, and stay, AND stay!!!! I have not found a nice way to say "please leave.... my Wife and I would like to have some quite time TOGETHER!" I have dropped hints that it was getting late and I needed to start cooking. I have fired off the grill, started cooking, and the Wife is sitting the table and they sit right there and TALK. I really don't need to know about your financial situation is and the wise investments you have made or where you are going camping next, and NO you do not need to know how much I paid for my Camper and I'm really not interested in what you paid for yours.
    This has happened more than once and with different neighbors. How do you handle a situation like this and not be rude?
    Or is it just me???

2. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Nope, it happens all the time. Reminds of the neighbor kid who used to bother my dad when he would putter in his yard. My dad would get his garden hose and drench him!

3. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

I'm a pretty blunt person. I try not to be rude but sometimes people take things the wrong way. It doesn't happen alot but when it does and I need to tell someone to leave I just say something like "it was nice talking with you but I have things I need to do, maybe later if I have time I'll stop by your site with a few beers" then extend my hand for a goodbye handshake. If they still don't leave then I'll would just tell them to gtfo.....

4. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Like Detroit_Iron said, just excuse yourselve and state you have plans.

5. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

+2 to that method.

"Hey...I have things to do so I need to say goodbye now..."
    if they don't get that hint.........then you resort to the "South Florida tactic".

"Pleeees....leave...YOU......now"

6. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

I have never had this happen while camping but I'll have to agree with Detroit_Iron just be nice but blunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '02 Chevy Suburban
    '99 Coleman Westlake

7. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

When I first read this topic, my first thought was that DW and I must have "We're boring people" plastered on our foreheads when we're camping. LOL. We've never had this happen, either.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Never had this problem with adults but the neighbor kids are my biggest problem. Ugh it is usually endless questions, "can I see the inside of your trailer?, why do you do that?"...you get my point I'm sure. If you tell them its time for them to go home they will come back around five minunets later if they still see you outside. Their parents don't seem to be able to keep them on their site or my guess they send them on there way so that they themselves get a brake. Luckily I normally only stick around my site to eat or sleep and head back out again.

9. froggie

froggie New Member

It has happened to us. My kids tell me I need to not be so friendly initially. I don't know. I just can't be as blunt as I need to be, especially when they are nice. Just over stayed their welcome in the cs. Anyone have suggestions that don't require a set of *****?

10. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

What I hate is when you are sitting down at the picnic table, eating your meal, and someone comes over and wants to talk and talk and talk.

11. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Anyone thought about eating a lot of beans and emulating the campfire scene from "Blazing Saddles"?

12. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

I do too.....and you see, now this is a catch-22.

If you setup your PUP, layout a picnic table right in front for everyone to see.....in plain sight of everyone.....chairs wide open, folks sittin round a couple of lawn chairs, facing outward in an inviting position...toward the CG center..........of course it's inviting....but I understand. Everyone deserves their quiet time..........so it's tough because folks will give out the "body language" welcome signs...yet they express the "do not disturb" characteristics......so it's a tough scenario.

Personally..I'm quite blunt. I don't mind a person coming over to me and talking. Even here in a city setting where NO ONE talks to each other on the metro, in the bus.....NOTHING....NADA....ZIPPO....if I see someone I want to say hello to...I'll say "good afternoon, how was your day"...and the conversation gets going.
    within 2 seconds you can tell if that person wants to chat or not.......but some, as you mention...don't get it.

Also, what I've found, and no offense to anyone who is retired.....seems retired folk wanna talk much MORE than folks who still work for a living...it just is. Imagine being cooped up in house all day long..day after day...week after week (oh how I long for retirement)....year after year.....with only your spouse to talk to. I can see where once elderly folk get out..it's as though 'release the flood gates' of conversation......

so...it's tough call to make. I suppose you have to be in that exact situation to determine what YOU would do.

13. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Hoomi, you and I think alike. I don't load up on beans or broccoli regularly, but there are times it would be useful. Perhaps a giant swig of your favorite beverage and an over-sized

BUUUUUUUUUUUURP! "HMMMMM, must have been something I ate!"

14. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

We really did not run into this much last year. I am kind of a recluse when it comes to camping. What I mean is when we go unless it has been planned to go with others we really try to keep to ourselves. It helps that our youngest DOES NOT like people she does not know to venture on our campsite and even has been known to chase some squirrels off.... LOL J/K. For the most part we have been lucky other than a little girl last summer with a pet ferret that wanted to keep hanging out at our site lol.

15. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

chasing squirrels? are you reffering to your child or pet?
    I'm not being offensive I hope...just didn't make the distinction of whether you camp with your daughter or pet....I hope di didn't offend.

16. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] The dog chases squirrels but I was joking around saying my daughter was chasing squirrels and people off hahahaha! NO OFFENSE TAKEN!!!

17. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

thank you for not taking my comment to offensive...thanks.
    it's sometimes hard to communicate an honest question on the net.....thanks.
    and it's ok if your daughter chases squirrels.......my twins do the same thing...have even climbed up a tree trying to retrieve one or two.....almost had them too...

18. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

Oh I understand, typing can be hard to distinguish but I am pretty hard to offend! That is awesome with the twins though, kids are hilarious when it comes to the smallest things!

19. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

I only had this happen once. Just pulled in in the afternoon and was trying set-up. This older guy wanders over, cocktail in hand, and starts asking a hundred questions and telling stories. I tried to keep working while he went on. Luckily his adult daughter was there, saw what was going on and dragged him off, saying something about putting a drink in his hand and he want shut up.

I just always seem to have the spot between two friends or families and their kids and dogs like to run back and forth through our site.

20. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Member

I wear headphones most of the time and just nod to people. You can def tell the people who wished they had headphones. I always say I'm on a conference call Ill catch up with you later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk