is it just me?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by 88PUP, May 6, 2014.

1. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

LMAO, Might have to try that!

2. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Just tell them you're not really a people person and are uncomfortable making small talk with strangers. This puts the problem on you and really leaves nothing for them to say to continue the conversation. It helps to be short with answers initially too and walk towards the road instead of deeper into the site. I've never used this when camping as I tend to chit chat when relaxing (Heck I've shared burgers I was grilling for a couple that brought beer over!) but have in airports after a long business trip when I want to veg out.

3. tika56

tika56 Member

I haven't had this happen because I choose sites that are private- bushes/trees all the way around, and/or a good ways away from other sites. My rule is if I can see their picnic table, its not the site for me. Also, I don't start conversations. I'm out there to enjoy time with my family and listen to the nature sounds. A long time ago, we had a very large but friendly Boxer dog. If we had trouble with annoying kids running through our site, we'd just tie him where the parents could see him, standing still, staring (hoping the kids would come to play) and those kids got hustled off. Sometimes it helps to position your chairs so the backs are facing the neighbors.

4. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

There's always the tactic of, when they start to sit at the picnic table or a convenient chair, get a panicked look, wave frantically, and tell them, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!? YOU'RE ABOUT TO SIT ON BOB!!!"

Apologize profusely to Bob. Turn to the uninvited guests with a look of indignation, and say, "Well, that's RUDE. The LEAST you could do, when Bob asks you a question, is acknowledge that you heard him!" It can be even more effective, if at sometime during the process, you put a bit of a growl and hiss into your voice, and say something like, "They just wants our preciousssssss."

Either you'll scare them off, or they'll jump right in and you'll all have some good laughs.

5. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I want to party with Hoomi. But ONLY if I'm invited. By Hoomi or Bob really doesn't matter.

6. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

To me, I notice to opposite. It amazes me the number of people that walk right by us when we're sitting there, and can't give a simple "Hi" as they're walking by.
    When we're out walking, if we see people that aren't engaged in something else, we'll always give them a hello or a wave.

7. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I start talking about liberal stuff, that tends to make people leave.

8. froggie

froggie New Member

Campground rule for our family: If people are eating, you have to go home/back to campsite or whatever.

9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Maybe if they are from KY. If they are from the left coast they may stay longer. :)

10. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Wow. Our body language must say "Go Away!". We NEVER have anyone come over and talk to us, and we never do so at the campsites.

Ok, so I'm a serious introvert, and honestly don't care about someone's life story I will never see again. I don't actively deter people, but we certainly don't wave people on to our site and ask them to talk about themselves.

The kids meet kids, but kids also don't take social subtlety well. "You need to leave our site now." is rude to an adult, but clear and simple for a young child.

I'd have no problem standing up, and saying "Well, I've got stuff to do, talk to you later" and walk inside, especially if it was a stranger I will never see again.

I guess we just keep to ourselves, and that desire shows. I also don't hang out in the lobby of hotels and wave to folks who come in and out when I'm on business trips... I guess I see it as a place to sleep, and not a social obligation to strike up a conversation with everyone at a CG.

11. driftin by

driftin by New Member

... well if you think about it, that is one genius idea!

That's a great image... some goofball standing in a hotel lobby waving at everyone wanting to be everyone's friend.

I agree... I don't go camping to make new friends and I suppose my lack of interest in anyone else or what they are doing or what they have keeps the chatty Kathy's at bay. We almost always are next to or share a site with family and when we get together, we have most likely already offended anyone within earshot.

12. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Nice Rant and can feel your pain!
    Only 1 solution for this problem "BOONDOCK" [;)] [:D]

13. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Hey Tacoma Jim,

That sounds just like MY dad. He does this to me all the time when we meet at my brothers property and I'm trying to get the camper set up. Then he wants to be "all helpful" but has no idea what to do. It's just easier for me to Pop Up by myself but I can't get him to stop talking!!!!

On a separate note, I've never had overly friendly neighbors, but I do often manage to camp across the path from the loudest kids in the campsite, and they call out to eachother in their very loudest voices from one end of the CG to the other, Grrrrr.

14. Jflyboym

Jflyboym Member

This thread makes me feel a little better about how I interact with our camping neighbors. I always feel bad that I don't speak much or hang out with the neighbors or make efforts to get to know them. I guess maybe I'm ok:).

Some neighbors have tried to strike up conversation and help out with setting up. I'm polite and have short talks but I am usually a bit standoffish and I think that my body language is pretty evident.

15. Phranc

Phranc New Member

Hmmm. Setup help. Let the first one in. Give him a big hammer and tell him to keep all the rest away until you have finished setting up. Then sit down and share a beer with your new friend.

16. Kimba

Kimba Ex-PUP, Back to the Tent!

I don't usually hang out with camping neighbors. I've run into some while I'm walking around and will say hi and see how things have been going, where they're off to next, or why they stopped by. I won't actually go onto people's sites; I just don't see that as my business unless they come out to me and want to talk and then we just kind of meanander onto the site. ;)

17. CBourne

CBourne I'd rather be camping

We haven't run into this yet, but are expecting it to happen often as our PUP is on the rare side around here... I am taking notes on everyone's excuses :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. E3 Junkie

E3 Junkie Greetings from Granada Hills, CA.

I have a spare shirt that I made up some time ago, and it says. It's time for me to be alone, now please GTF Away. Oddly I rarely have to use it.

19. WillH

WillH New Member

I don't think I will have to put up with this much. No matter how happy I am at any given moment I am one of those people that always look angry when I seldom ever am. My wife tells me that I appear to be unapproachable. Maybe it’s the combination of bald head and goatee…

20. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I share your joy.[emoji57]

I have people skills.. Frankly camping is one of the only times I use them. Only time I turn off is when I am doing something, or people start talking politics, religion, or are drunk.