IS it like this EVERYWHERE? "animal restrictions"

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by landon6062, Jul 21, 2018.

1. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

WORSE NEWS EVER!!!!

Question: What kind of RESTRICTIONS does your State have on animals in a camp ground?

We went to make my reservations yesterday for our first camping trip!!!
    very excited to finally get to a camping date!!!!

THEN we found out EMMAS.. can't come with us....

I know there are some BAD DOGS in this world.

I have fostered dogs for YEARS, and a WILD DOG/animal is the most dangerous. IT doesn't matter the BREED.

I received really BAD NEWS yesterday. Finding out that in my state South Carolina. Pits, rottweilers, or dobermans are NOT allowed in campsites.

My Emma is really a "mutt" but she is Pit and lab mix.. Looks more like a PIT, but there is NOT a dangerous BONE in her body.. In fact, I would be more concerned with PEEPS, the Dalmatian/ boxer mix. He is a hunter. it is going to take some work to keep him from chasing ducks, squirrels etc...

MAYBE I could understand this>>>> IF.. they would make exceptions if the DOG had certified OBEDIENCE TRAINING.. or Physiologically certified as SAFE.. BUT NO EXCEPTION except "service dog"....

I mean really seriously !!!!!!

WHO BRINGS A DOG TO A CAMPGROUND with the intention that they are going to use them to fight? IT isn't bad DOGS, it is bad PEOPLE/parenting.. ugg...

IS THAT COMMON IN YOUR AREA?

I just don't get it...

For me, this is really devastating news.

I had big plans of convincing my hubby of retiring and moving in to an RV in the future.
    .. (We don't get rid of our dogs, it is till death do us part)..

Geeze, wonder what plastic surgery cost for a dog?

IS it like this EVERYWHERE, or just in South Carolina maybe? I can make plans of MOVING to another State!!!!

Another case WHERE IGNORANCE isn't blissful.. [{}=]

donna

EMMA. (or M & MS as we call her affectionately ) walks around with a ball in her mouth all the time. "IT is her pacifier" . She doesn't have a clue that she could be dangerous. All she wants to do is LOVE and GIVE KISSES...

ANY THOUGHTS??? NOT sure what to do...

20180718_115327.jpg

neighbormike and Rik Peery like this.
  2. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

3. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your dog restrictions. Georgia parks don't seem to have breed restrictions, but you have to have them on a 6' leash leash all the time.

I would be careful in acquiring a fake kit to "impersonate" a service animal. It cheapens the extensive training and serious work real service animals do in the world.

4. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Interesting .. thanks WVhillbilly..

I thought "service dog" meant they had to be used for specific service.."trained".

There is no doubt my dogs are THERAPY dogs for me..... I am very "emotionally attached to them"....they offer me a lot of "stability in my life". I would take them EVERYWHERE with me, if I could..

Ironically, the lady in the camp ground told me they had a couple of Rottweilers in the camp ground that were service dogs... that live there all the time.. ?????

I am certainly willing to get EMMA any training she may need to be accepted. BUT Maybe I should be looking at this as getting myself certified as having "mental and emotional problems".. ..... lol ... um I just don't know..

5. WVhillbilly

That's not a fake kit. It's quite real.
    I don't think that it cheapens the work real service dogs do, as they have a serious job.

The stupidity that surrounds breed specific brands makes no sense to me. The most dangerous dogs I've seen are 8lb ankle biters that folks let run around all over because "she's little, she can't hurt anything"

The dog in my avatar picture is an Am Staff. Many would look at her and call her a pit.
    The only thing she's dangerous to is stray cats that enter my yard.
    I don't mind, as I have a 5 ft fence and get tired of bleaching the cat "spray" off the house and cars.

I see more well behaved dogs these days than I do well behaved kids, and there is no leash law for them.

The answer for the OP is, seek out dog friendly campgrounds.
    The ones in WV don't seem to have a problem unless your pooch is running lose all over or the owner is dumb enough to tie it to a tree 10 feet from the tent so it can stand and bark for hours.

6. WVhillbilly

7. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

This is what the State Parks in Texas say in general.

(G) possess a noisy, vicious, or dangerous pet, or a pet which creates a disturbance to or hazard within a state park.

Katskamper and landon6062 like this.
  8. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

landon6062 likes this.
  9. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

TZMARTIN... I do have to agree with you.....

WITH all due respect.....Though I do appreciate the idea of registering her as a "service dog".. and I think it is TOTALLY UNJUST to discriminate against Pits, Rottweilers, and dobermans..

I, personally could not do that in good conscience. Everything in me says.. take care of yourself and your needs.. but being from a family of SERVICE MEMBERS.. I just can't..

... .. My husband is a VET, from the Iran/Iraq conflict, but he has no Mental or emotional issues from it... My uncle on the other hand lost his mind during the VIETNAM war.. (OM LORD, he needed help so badly)

Personally I just think the RULE needs to be changed or MAKE some sort of EXCEPTION for "training" or "certification"

WHAT TO DO.. I just don't know.. except go to another State where she is accepted...

I do have "emotional and mental" issues from childhood abuse, that have left me "scared me for LIFE'..

and I KNOW I not only LOVE my animals, they are "support for me EMOTIONALLY and MENTALLY"..

Maybe I just need to get Certified myself..... ugg..

Anyway.. SO GA.. ok.. I can go that far to camp.

I know in ALL honesty.. Part of the reason we chose camping was so we could take our Animals.

ON a PERSONAL LEVEL....I hated it, when renting a hotel that I had to leave my babies behind and it made for a miserable trip for me.. Even though we had them VERY WELL cared for.. EM's is NEW Member of our family.. only a year old. and has NEVER SLEPT alone in her life, because she is SO emotionally attached to us, Silly girl.. she is afraid of the dark.. lol..

Katskamper, Orchid and Rik Peery like this.
  10. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

On our vacation last summer we encountered restrictions everywhere but some states like Oregon are more pet friendly. In Manitou Springs, Co there were few hotel vacancies available and all said no pets. So we had to sneak in little Toby (6 pound Morkie) and keep him invisible from the staff. Couldn't get into National Parks museums like on the Oregon Trail unless he was a service dog. Some restaurants would ask, "he's a service dog, right? And our reply was, "yes sir, yes ma'am, he's a service dog". Traveling with pooches is challenging but well worth the aggravation. We've learned most restaurants with outside eating will allow dogs. I'd look into getting your fur baby trained as a service dog Donna so you can keep her at your side. Seems like it would solve your little problem.

landon6062 likes this.
  11. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

GOOD RULE.... and would CERTAINLY AGREE..

my mother's "dachshund" is one of the most DANGEROUS animals I know.. She will BITE anything that moves...ugg..

THOUGH TEXAS may be out of my reach for now.. LOL

12. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

[QUOTE="Dan from Troup, I'd look into getting your fur baby trained as a service dog Donna so you can keep her at your side. Seems like it would solve your little problem.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am going to look into that too....thanks DAN

13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Yes sadly that is the case at quite a few places I've been. I went to a dog dedicated campground once. The owners loved all dogs however no pits or Rottis. I talked with the owner about this. She apologized saying she knows it's not the breed that makes them bad but per insurance she had to make the restriction. The insurance company would drop them if they allowed those breeds. She tried to find an insurance carrier that does not place the restrictions but it was too expensive.
    Im also in animal rescue and even taken in a few pits myself as a foster. Very sweet and loving dogs, however there are so many restrictions in my own town I couldn't walk them anywhere. Getting them adopted was extremely hard because we couldn't allow them to go to renters, and we had to require the owners have a fence because the town is is just a jerk about it.
    I wish it was different but sadly it's not. Heck the chihuahuas are the scarier ones. My brother sometimes said they were devils in disguise. Sweet until something crosses them.

Orchid and landon6062 like this.
  14. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I certainly AGREE with you WVhillbilly..

Quote: The stupidity that surrounds breed specific brands makes no sense to me. The most dangerous dogs I've seen are 8lb ankle biters that folks let run around all over because "she's little, she can't hurt anything"

IT is stupid.. it is all in the PARENTING and the delicate care of the animal...

Quote: I see more well behaved dogs these days than I do well behaved kids, and there is no leash law for them.

Funny.. I was thinking the same thing...

QUOTE: The dog in my avatar picture is an Am Staff. Many would look at her and call her a pit.

Yes, I saw your Avatar, my daughter has one JUST LIKE HER.. : ) and she is as GENTLE as they come...... your baby looks like a sweet heart...but unfortunately, even though she is an "AM STAFF".. like ours, she is from the PIT BULL family.. AS THE LADY AT THE CAMPGROUND was "Certain" to point out to me.. SUCH DISCRIMINATION going on.. urrgss..

Quote:
    The answer for the OP is, seek out dog friendly campgrounds.
    The ones in WV don't seem to have a problem unless your pooch is running lose all over or the owner is dumb enough to tie it to a tree 10 feet from the tent so it can stand and bark for hours...

Agreed.. but it is an OVERALL rule in South Carolina... and not much you can do to get around it....even though I agree>> IT IS WRONG..

15. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles with breed restrictions. I agree that you can't judge all dogs by breed stereotypes. Unfortunately, as we live near Detroit, pit bull incidents and attacks are all too common. I whole heartedly agree that it has more to do with the owners and how the dogs are raised and or abused, than the breed itself. However, I will say that some stereotypes, seem too hold true... You never hear about labrador or golden retrievers attacking passersbys on the street. Heck, I'd be more worried that my akc labs would accidentally pee on you from excitement lol. Ever wonder why police departments don't use labs for anything other than drug sniffing or tracking k9's?... Because you cannot train a lab to attack like you can a German Shepard. Every breed is different... Coincider that, other than the wolf, there are no "natural" dog breeds. Every breed was bred for specific traits. Some are predisposed to being more aggressive... Others not so much. My suggestion, get your pup certified as a therapy animal, or camp in neighboring counties/states that don't have breed restrictions. Good luck.

landon6062 likes this.
  16. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI JMKAY.. you bring up some good points..

quote: The insurance company would drop them if they allowed those breeds. She tried to find an insurance carrier that does not place the restrictions but it was too expensive.

yes, I could see that as a problem for the campground.. IF it is STATE LAW, they would certainly have to be very careful..

quote: Im also in animal rescue and even taken in a few pits myself as a foster. Very sweet and loving dogs, however there are so many restrictions in my own town I couldn't walk them anywhere. Getting them adopted was extremely hard because we couldn't allow them to go to renters, and we had to require the owners have a fence because the town is is just a jerk about it.

Yes, I have also cared for another PIT as a foster for our Humane society (a kill shelter) .., and we had a no LUCK getting her adopted. They ended up putting her on the HIGH RISK LIST.. "not going to happen on my watch"..

Out of state RESCUE was our only option, and we paid for EVERYTHING to make sure she got to another state..

SHE DESERVED TO LIVE... I couldn't let her die.. no way, after all the care I put into her, and spent many hours with her, bringing her back to HEALTH, from starvation.. ugg..

To this DAY.. I still LOVE that animal... it RIPPED MY HEART out to let her go.. but I had 6 animals of my own at the time...You want to save them all, but you do have to know your limits...

22171603_10210629848562764_686054154_o.jpg

Orchid and WVhillbilly like this.
  17. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Matt, yes.. and I have HEARD that Pits were Originally trained in the UK to fight bears..

goodness...aweful thought..

To be honest with the whole thing..

Again I do believe it goes back to TRAINING and PARENTING..

However, I also know, that EMS jaw is STRONGER, and I imagine most PITS 'Jaws" are... SHE uses a "concrete sprinkler" for a toy"

You wouldn't want them to GET into a FIGHT, because they do tend to LOSE their good sense at that time and making them RELEASE might be an ISSUE..

I guess that is what makes them "desired" as that UNLAWFUL dog fighting rings.. urgg.. I hate those..

WE HAVE NEVER HAD AND ISSUE with EMMA.. she is a CHICKEN when it comes to causing anything to get upset with her... she runs away from our shiatsu...

Anyway.. the Point of all of that is ..

IT JUST SEEMS that if one could get TRAINING for the animal and get them Certified, there SHOULD honestly be an exception for the breed..

Katskamper likes this.
  18. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Florida has few restrictions, no farm animals ( we did take a bottle baby goat once and it was the hit of the campground, everyone loved it and DW let a couple of kids bottle feed it) and the pet must be on a leash and you must pick up after they poop.. Here is Fl. pet restrictions
    Pets are welcome at the park as long as they are kept on a six-foot leash and are well behaved. Pets are also allowed to stay in the campground under the same guidelines. NOTE: Sorry, pets are NOT allowed to stay in the cabin or cabin area. Pets are also NOT allowed in the group camp area. Please pick up after your pet and do not allow them to run free or bark incessantly.

landon6062 likes this.
  19. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I mean SERIOUSLY.. REALLY.. what do you guys think?

Can you not see the "LAB" in this baby?

If it were not for her 'colors and that PINK nose" she would pass as a Labrador retriever......

I showed the lady at the camp ground the picture. and she just simply said.. "NOPE, she has PIT IN HER".. good grief..

20180721_091300.jpg

Dan from Troup likes this.
  20. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

I see a mutt... Definitely not a pure pit. (Cute pup nonetheless) . Unfortunately, that falls into a grey area. Each campground may see things differently. It's not cut and dry. Here is my boy Bailey. Can you believe that there are fools who ask if he's a pit?

20171207_200339.jpg

Orchid, Rik Peery and landon6062 like this.