Is it me or is it rude.....

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by campinggordons, Mar 22, 2015.

1. campinggordons

campinggordons New Member

For people to walk through your area to take a shortcut? I swear this weekend we had people walking between our picnic table and campfire several times basically right through the middle of our site. I understand our site was in a straight line for the bathroom but isn't a little rude to walk between peoples stuff when the path is not far away?

2. TheEvilKaren

TheEvilKaren "That's what I do; I drink and I know things."

That is my #1 camping pet peeve! It's incredibly rude, in my opinion. I'd be tempted to put up some kind of barrier.

3. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Definitely rude....and unacceptable IMO. I'd have told them to use the appropriate paths/roads.....

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

It is rude, and one of my pet peeves.
    A while back, a friends and I went on a ladies' trip and were camped in ground tents. People from a couple of the sites behind us, which was actually a different loop, tended to cut through to the restroom on our loop, since it was a bit closer by cutting through. Flip flops next to our heads in the night were just crazy-making, not to mention sleep disturbing. Finally my friend got out of her tent while they were at the bathroom and just waited until they came back through. She told them where their bathroom was and that it was rude to cut through other sites. They told her she scared them - I think her reply was something to the effect that if they had been on the road where they should have been, they wouldn't have been startled.
    On the same trip, we heard a woman cut across sites to get to the bathroom on our side, again in the dark. She paid a pretty high price for trying to save steps, since this was at Zion, where there are irrigation ditches between sites - a badly sprained ankle, at a minimum.

5. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Very rude.

We had a woman walk between the PUP and our picnic table; she got tangled up in our dog's leash. A wedding was being held at the CG that weekend, and I think most of the people in the CG were not regular campers. The were cutting through the loop to get to the newer restroom...vault vs newer vault [LOL]. The camp hosts were helpful in educating them.

6. pasnowlady

pasnowlady Member

Yes, it is rude to cut through other peoples sites. I have positioned chairs, and tables to prevent this on occasion. Mostly it is young kids running around playing, so all it takes is a simple, please don't travel through my site, and they stop. If we are camping with a group, the kids do usually travel near and around the groups sites and this is acceptable to me. Except the site with the fire. Adults however, if not with our group: I have my hubs who is 6'3" and broad like a line backer ask them to please stay on the path and not cut through our site.

7. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

I'm guessing we all have stories about people cutting through. My favorite was the woman and child we tripped and fell over some of my gear. She yelled at me and said she was going to complain to the Ranger that I stored stuff "on the bathroom trail". I watched where she was camping and the next day the Ranger and I chatted with her about paying for the damages to my equipment.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

It is very rude, I especially detest the kids that ride through my site on bicycles. These days the parents take them and turn the kids loose and do not care as long as they leave the "grown-ups" alone. Of course it is not only the kids, the grown ups are even worse in some cases, loud noises, radios at full blast etc. I go for the peace and quiet, we usually try to go during the week when things are more quiet and relaxed..

9. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Same here @nineoaks... I tend to make mid-week ressies for the quiet unless we're entertaining.
    Last time we had some teens keep trampling through our site. I found the parents and asked, since we're sharing sites, if they'd mind me coming over for breakfast. The dad apologized and we actually became pretty good friends over that vacation. Annoying, yes... easily fixed??? Usually yes. Just have to approach it in a good way.

10. campinggordons

campinggordons New Member

I glad I'm not the only one then that found it rude. I don't mind someone skirting the edge of the site but to walk between 2 people standing on the site and just going oh excuse me and keep walking about made the ugly camper come out to play. And I don't mind kids being noisy during the day but at 5am or midnight do the kids really need to be running down the loop roads yelling as loud as they can and howling which of course sets off every dog in the CG,followed by the course of adults yelling at the dogs to be quite.

11. F239141

F239141 New Member

I'm 31 and been camping for 31 years, my dad would never ever let me cut through, unless it was an empty camp site by foot, if on bike take the road.

I now pass the same rule on to my kids

You wouldn't walk across someone's front or back porch at their house to get to the corner store would you.

I remember dad about shoving our satellite dish and tripod up some mans butt who triped over the coax and took the dish with him..... The coax was ran with all other utilities if that tells you how close said man was to our rig.

12. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

It's a shame we even have to discuss if it's rude. It is totally disrespectful.

13. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I have found if I sit by my campfire in my underwear, no one comes anywhere near my site.

14. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I have also used my TV and other stuff to cut unofficial paths thru my site. If it is a site that has no one there I see no problem.

15. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

You folks need to read about the WI August rally last year...... [}:)]
    We had people coming through our group site to the point we got a ranger to stop them - we had asked repeatedly to take the road, only to be told they were walking through all week -WTH? I then said well they aren't empty now, I paid for this site- it's mine- GO AROUND!
    We started asking those that continued to walk through if they needed a bathroom buddy [LOL] [LOL] [:O]
    This year we're bringing crime scene tape - body outline and a sign that reads last person to cut through [}:)]

16. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Based on many previous posts, it is considered rude, so please do not feel bad if you think similarly.

17. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

We went camping in May of 2003 at our local favorite campground (Golden Ears Provincial Park) and set up in one of the reserved sites that was not reservable til June. We were all comfortably set up, tarp over the pup and listened to the rain while we were playing cards when we noticed a convoy of cars start pulling in and started to occupy all the sites in our section..a parent comes to our site and demands that we move from our site and says that she had it reserved....I said to her to show me her reservation and she said she didn't have to. I then told her that we are staying since we paid for our site for the weekend and that it was not possible to reserve since the park was not accepting reservations yet. She left is a huff and as I sat back down to continue playing cards, I noticed these people in these cars dropping sleeping bags, back packs and tents at all the sites in the pouring rain..I comment to the wife and said that that was kind of dumb...the sleeping bags and back packs are getting wet then another car pulls up and two adults started putting up the tent and throwing the wet gear into the tent....and then I see it....a big yellow bus full of kids and I go oh no...150 kids apparently on their year end elementary school camp out that I soon found out....they ran thru our site like we didn't even exist for about a day even after I told the kids that this was our site and to make matters worse, the washroom that the park staff had just cleaned had pee and feces smeared all over the walls and toilet paper thrown in the toilet and boasted about it That was the last straw. I went and found the principal who was in charge asked what school they were from and then proceeded to tell him what I saw and about the kids invading our site and the adults (parents) walking thru it and ignoring our comments not to go thru our site. I told him that if something wasn't done, I would report this incident to the school board.He sincerely apologized and said that he would take of it. He was so upset with the kids behaviour and seeing the aftermath in the washroom that he actually called the parents and kids together and cut the trip short....they all packed up that evening....although we did feel bad that he did that, he told us before they left that the kids behavior as well as some of the adults was very embarrassing. He did not find it acceptable and that it was one of the conditions was for the kids to behave and respect other campers. I was impressed that he stuck to his rules....parents were probably happy to go home because of rain. It actually became sunny the next day. The rest of our week long trip went off without a hitch

18. russjbeck

russjbeck New Member

It is rude and dangerous. A little kid cutting across doesn't bother me. Adults should know better than to enter into another person's camp uninvited. The Texas State Parks I visit seem to be designed where the bathrooms are on the roads and cutting through a campsite is not really a shortcut.

19. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

:) That is very rude and disrespectful.

20. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Want to control this kind of thing? Just spread a rumor that there is a registered pedophile staying at the campground. "One of the other campers told me that another camper told them that the ranger said....." That should keep the kids close to their home campsites. [LOL]