Is it me or is it rude.....

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by campinggordons, Mar 22, 2015.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

The yellow tape would clash with the beauty of the woods. How about an electric bear fence? It's a lot less intrusive and more fun to watch when violators get snagged. [:D] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

[​IMG]

2. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain New Member

I have 3 battery powered strobe lights(with siren option) that I mount on driveway marker stakes work amazingly well, I have yet to have a person cut through twice.

3. AICPlanner

AICPlanner 1998 Coleman Bayside Elite

Same issue here over the weekend. I asked one person to go around and how it was rude- I received a blank stare and an eye roll. I even arranged my camping chairs across our site in a manner to discourage the practice. Only to have people MOVE the chairs to get through. Seriously.

I'm packing metal fence posts and bright orange snow fencing if we ever get stuck in one of those spots again.

4. AlcHemIE

AlcHemIE New Member

Kind of Off-topic but not so much. One time while camping in close proximity of a major metropolitan area, i had two teens approach me while sitting at my fire late at night asking if i had seen a cell phone anywhere in my travels. While i hadn't seen anything, i made suggestions to help them find it (call it, reset it remotely, etc..) all the while the other kid seemed to be looking around a lot. I assumed that he was perhaps checking my campsite for the phone. I thought nothing of it.

The next morning there were reports of several cars having things taken from them, and everyone we talked to had the same story as me. Two kids looking for their phone. All of the cars that were burglarized were left unlocked overnight. The description of the kids was given to the cops and they were never seen again.

Even while at camp, be diligent! LOCK YOU TV!

5. SlickTrick

SlickTrick New Member

Up till now, I have camped in a tent, and I usually drive around the CG till I find a place with no cellular/WiFi connectivity (I'm camping, I don't want to be reached [:D]). This usually alleviates any issues because the 'glamp'ers tend to stay close to connectivity. I do try and put myself close enough to the head for the midnight sprint for DW.

I have had people cut through my site in the past, and I try and nip that right quick. As for locking the TV, at night, I clean up the site completely, no food, no garbage, and bbq/stove/food gets locked in the box of the truck (prevents wildlife visitors).

I also usually go to CGs that are night sky preserves, they have pretty strict lighting rules, campfires, possibly a lantern, but never the light strings etc. Makes the places we go pretty quiet. for the most part.

6. JT105

JT105 Member

We've had people cut through. We also try to hang a clothes line and hang towels in the 'attractive' shortcut path. That usually works. We also try to select sites so as to minimize the traffic around and through it. For example, no one ever cuts through a perimeter site. Usually it's the interior sites near the bathroom, water spigot, or beach path that get the most intruders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. SmokeEater2

SmokeEater2 New Member

My dog is fine with other campers being around but he doesn't like them coming into his area. They go around my camp site when I bring him along.

He's not mean in the slightest but they don't know that.

8. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

I had this issue come up a few weeks ago camping with some friends. Their kids kept cutting through a neigbhors site. I explained that they needed to go around, and asked if they thought it was ok if someone walked through ours. They understood and went around the rest of the weekend.

9. JMSubRN

JMSubRN New Member

Is this what we have to look forward to? We have tent camped for many, many, years and have never had someone walk through our spot. We have had kids come over to ask our daughter to play which is perfectly fine. But walk through an occupied site?? Never!
    Maybe because we've always camped in primitive CGs? In very rural areas?

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@JMSubRN
    We've had people cut through our site whether we were ground camping, in the pup or in the TT. In general, it is worse when we're in campgrounds that tend to have a higher number of what we call the "casual camper" - those who seldom camp and/or don't care to be considerate campers.
    Sometimes it seems to be a desire to shortcut to the bathroom, water spigot or something (at North Rim of Grand Canyon, I had the kids in the next site almost take out a shade structure on one of their repeated runs to the camp store). Other times it seems to just be obliviousness - of surroundings, other people, etc.

11. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

Tent or class A, IME it has never mattered, if you're in the spot that leads to the bathroom, showers, pool, or camp store someone will cut through.

12. sleepy2

sleepy2 New Member

Like most people here I think it is very rude also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We went camping at a family run camp ground a few years ago and the younger people across from our site seem friendly enough when we arrived but a couple nights later they started to have friends show up and it all went to pot! We had a site by a fenced off field and during the evening after we went to bed--we had our 2 9 and 13 year old's with us and all of a suddenly people started to come across our site and pee by our tent by the fence instead of walking a bit down the road to washroom. We asked them to not do this as we had kids but no luck. It got to the point where we kept a bat inside the tent as they were starting to get pretty rowdy.
    The next morning we went to the office to complain and were told they would take care of it BUT they were kids from nearby town and were from good friends homes and were not that kind of trouble.
    That night it seemed to be going OK until we noticed the owner over there getting drunk with the campers and doing thee same things so next morning we went to complain again and got the :Kids will be Kids speech: so we said we wanted our money back and got no way that was our problem not there's so we left to pack up to leave --they said go ahead. When we got back to site the other campers asked why we were packing and we tried to explain bur got :we didn't think we were bothering any one: We never went back and if we were asked about the campground we explained our experiences to them.
    We have had other camp experiences at other sites also but were usually settled pretty easily .

13. carolinacamper

carolinacamper Member

I've not had any real issues with folks cutting through my campsite. But, once we were camping in Bryson City, NC. About 9:00 pm 3 or 4 church vans pull up with about 75 boy scouts. No big deal until they played reveille at 6:00 am the next morning. I mean full blown, loud as can be. Woke the entire campsite up. Needless to say we had a chat with the Ranger.

14. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

Sometimes I really have to wonder if we have a few among us who are plain dumb or blind. This weekend was spent at an informal site that I backed into for about 30 yards. Only one way in and the dame way out due to trees.

When I came back after some fishing I found some tent campers had set their tent between us and the road. Thet were embarrassed, and I helped them relocate to a better spot. In light of the rain Saturday night the new spot up on a slight rise was a whole lot better.

Nice enough people, but not very observant or thoughtful.

15. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

rude as hell

16. bexcamps

bexcamps New Member

Never had it happen. Of course, we've also been pretty lucky that all of our campsites have been on the outskirts, so there was nothing really to cut through to.

17. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member

Absolutely unacceptable!!!
    Keep the cattle prod handy!!! [}:)]

18. cprdnick

cprdnick Just Clint

I don't remember if it was from Scouts or just something from growing up camping, but I was taught to always ask permission before entering or cutting through someone elses camp site. I'll be teaching that to my children as well when I have them.

19. JeffC

JeffC New Member

And announcing yourself! "Hello the camp" from outside their site was what I was taught.

20. cprdnick

cprdnick Just Clint

Maybe that's what it was. It was right around the same time I became a professional Snipe hunter.