Is it me or is it rude.....

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by campinggordons, Mar 22, 2015.

1. clgoodey

clgoodey New Member

I think the only time we had a problem was at Dumont Dunes and kids come flying through between campers on their motorcycles not caring that there could be small children or pets in the circle. We started putting up caution tape or rope to stop it.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

2. mjbeam

mjbeam New Member

I carry a rag in my back pocket and when someone comes walking through my campsite I pull it out and say, "Excuse me, does this rag smell like chloroform to you?" That usually solves the problem.

3. Miamomof8

Miamomof8 Member

LOL

4. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Love it! I'm an old geezer too and just might try this one day. Hell, might even keep the noisy neighborhood kids out of my yard at home..[:D] [:D] [:D]

5. Miamomof8

Miamomof8 Member

Haha, it won't work terry1419. The father of one of my best friends growing up came home from work every day and stripped to his boxers. He didn't give a fig who came or went. Everybody just got use to it.

6. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Member

My "dogs" run line somehow got pulled tight 6 inches off the ground.... bet that stops people pretty fast!!!

7. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

I second the idea of stringing a clothesline across the way - a few wet towels work wonders at getting folks to go around.

8. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

All last weekend I cut through campsites, but the were all with the group I was camping with

9. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Just left Stone Mountain Campground in Georgia and had the best site ever--Loop H, site 190. It had a nice back-in location and an awesome view with lot of land between the camper and the water. We were on a cove and the site pretty much took up the whole cove. The picnic table and grill was set up near the water below the camper. It was nice! It was also fairly obviously all our site.

2 of the 9 people in a popup next to us today decided they wanted to go fishing on our site! They didn't have easy access to the water. Even though we were about to start packing up, they started to move in and cast their rods. They didn't hang around just cast the line and left the pole. Weird and bothersome if I were staying another night. I would have confronted them if I had one more night.

Could have taken the poles but...two wrongs don't make a right.

Anyway, if you don't like your site, talk to the management about moving. Don't just push the unspoken boundaries between sites. Next time i'm bringing the police tape.

zack in atlanta

10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

The camp sites at CLoudLand Canyon State Park at the Trenton Ga exit on I59 has a good fix for this... This is up on the Lookout Mtn area...

Almost all of their sites in the WEST RIM area have the Fence up around the patio area. Pretty neato...

[​IMG]

I saw one camp site have a large water bowl sitting outside the trailer door with the name KILLER printed on it and there was a medium length of a heavy dog chain laying there attach to the trailer frame.

Don't know if that was for trespassing or thieves...

Maybe just a KEEP OFF THE GRASS sign would get the point across... Or maybe a RESTROOM THIS WAY sign with an arrow at the head of the pass through area...

Put up a bucket and a sign that says SHORTCUT 50 CENTS PLEASE...

I know when we was TENT CAMPING alot we used to put those Camo Blinds up around our camp site boundaries just to mark our territory... Just put up a couple where the path is maybe...

Roy Ken

11. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Someone told me, so I don't know if it's really true, that in West Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky you can shoot them for that.

12. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Thanks Swordfish, I didn't know it was true in Ct. also.

14. OkieCamper

OkieCamper Member

Oh my! Just have to vent. I've been staying in Resurrection Campground in Seward AK since the end of May with not much to complain about until this week. Had two ladies walk into my site walking over my mat right next to the door with a large dog to get to the beach area. Then they came back through on their return. A little later they walked through again minus the dog. Again later they were started through again and I stepped out to speak with them. I asked how long they had been rving and they said around 2008.
    I politely informed them that it was considered poor camping etiquette to cut through another's site. One of the ladies asked me how she was supposed to get around. I politely said she should use the road and walk around. She got all huffy and said she didn't care if people walked through her site and kept walking shouting over her shoulder that she was walking through the next persons site on her way as well. Hopefully they will be gone soon.

15. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

I have had this problem a few times, usually it is younger people who just don't know this is not acceptable. Most often a sharing this is not something you should do is all it takes to fix the problem.

16. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

ridiculous. While I don't like more regulations in general, a rule in the check-in materials about cutting through sites might be helpful.

17. abuelita2jnj

abuelita2jnj New Member

nope, it's not you.. it is rude. Sad to say, that is just not kids. when we are on a site where it looks like it may be a cut through to the bathroom, water , etc. I strategically set up my screen house as a barrier and /or set up my dogs stake and etc.

People usually get the hint. If all else fail, I politely ask them to show good camper etiquette and take the long way around.

18. idler

idler Member

This hasn't happened to me, I am thankful. WI state parks have been good to me, and my 98 lb dog is a great deterrent for foolishness. If people had cut through my camp sites, I might have been too scared or annoyed to keep camping.

I'm so glad most people say a quick word usually solves the problem. I have NO PROBLEM disciplining (verbally) other peoples' children. When the adults act like boors, I struggle.

19. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Heck where I camp, if they get with in 1/4 mile of my site I question what they are doing!!! [CP]

20. brdprey

brdprey New Member

[}:)] so find their camp and do it to them. find a reason to pass thru theirs.
    when they say something remind them. they set the boundaries.
    of course im 6-2 315 lbs . trying to look like a body builder. i dont have many people
    go thru our area. well at least our tent area. this year will be our first tt outing i hope.