Is it my imagination?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Goforit, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Goforit

Goforit New Member

I like to watch the price trends of RV's in CL. Since the start of covid-19 it sure seems that the prices have skyrocketed for used units. I just sold my 5th wheel and bought a pop-up. Maybe I should have doubled my selling price and gotten a bigger pup with the proceeds.

2. Goforit

Goforit New Member

Said tongue-in-cheek, or is it :)?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  3. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

What kind of price increases are you seeing?

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You should have "went for it". Sorry couldn't resist.

neighbormike likes this.
  5. Goforit

Goforit New Member

It seems like a 20% to 30% increase in prices around Atlanta. Example: when I bought my pup last week, the couple asked me if they should have asked more for their pop-up due to the recent demand.

6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Oh, I see it BIG TIME. Folks are gouging since demand is high. Camping is the only thing Alaskans can do to get out of their homes (well, cabin rentals too), so there are rigs being sold that haven't seen the road for years. The local forums are full of "how do I run the A/C off the battery" posts.

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We see that here, on the Portal, also.

neighbormike likes this.
  8. netslacker

netslacker New Member

We bought our pup about three weeks ago and over the preceding months saw that prices were inching up. I started looking earlier in the year and by the time we bought one we were lucky to get it at “high retail” on the NADA Guides values. It wasn’t a great deal as it’s pretty well used but everything else was either 1,000-1,500 above high retail NADA or much older and still ridiculously priced.

The ones that were reasonably priced were selling sight-unseen to other buyers. Granted, where I’m at (N. VA) there isn’t much for sale but we were looking in a three hour radius.

lynnmarie0123 likes this.
  9. adkdave

adkdave Member

I am not surprised, RV/Camper dealers are so busy they don't return phone calls, campgrounds are full and the boat business can't keep up with demand. People have changed how they are approaching summer vacations this year, no trips to Europe, air travel is slow, people are staying close to home. Camping in any form sounds pretty good.

10. squirrelbox

squirrelbox Member

You are probably right. I am 25 minutes from a state park campgrounds. It has a pristine spring fed lake that is always cold and fresh. I go there at least twice a month to swim. We have camped there a lot because it is so convenient. We all come and go as our schedules permit. I was there today with grandson and daughter. Beach was full as was the campground. Weird. never over the last 20 yrs has this occurred mid week.People want to be out and do stuff. Rv sales have been up over the last 10 yrs. But wow I never expected to see this. No surprise prices have gone up.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  11. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

This might be related. I was to our power sports shop this week picking up 6x6 parts who sells sleds, boats, ATVs and UTVs, etc, etc and there sales floor looked rather empty. I asked the fellow I knew there who stated that sales had been very good. I expected them to fallen off a cliff, but they had really picked up?? [?:~{][?:~{][?:~{][?:~{]

12. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Definitely not you’re imagination. I think it’s a combination of people being tired of being cooped up so long and wanting to see nature (we’re seeing the same huge influx in hiking at the local National Forest and good luck finding a Kayak for sale) and people recognizing the camping is a safer more “social distanced” form of travel.

I’ve seen all sorts of reports of all RV sales exploding.

A few examples:

https://thervatlas.com/podcast/camp...ors-north-american-rv-consumer-survey-report/

13. Goforit

Goforit New Member

Of course with more sales, and the increase of people camping, the next hurdle is actually finding a place to camp. Looks like I may be camping in the driveway :)

netslacker and HappyTraveler like this.
  14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

5 years ago when I bought my camper I knew I wasn’t going to find anything decent here in Northern Virginia. I ended finding something near the Richmond area. I’m sure it’s 10x worse now.

15. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's my problem.
    Years ago, we never made reservations and never had a problem finding a campsite. Of course, we were tent campers and had no utilities/hookups, so any space to throw the tent up worked.
    Sadly, we camp to get away from people, so not working out so well right now.

Pommom70 likes this.
  16. adkdave

adkdave Member

The days of "walk in" campsites are gone for now in NYS. I made some reservations for weekday camping and there was a notice that reservations were required, walk ins not allowed.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  17. netslacker

netslacker New Member

Completely agree! We booked 6 camp outs and 6 different campgrounds for this summer and they are all Sunday to Tuesday (or weds). None of them had any weekend vacancy until end of August. It’s nuts! Book ahead or be disappointed.

18. athread678

athread678 Member

Yes! Not your imagination. We were waiting until our youngest was in a "big boy bed" before jumping back in to camping and purchasing anther pup. We sold ours years ago and didn't want to deal with a pack&play (been there, done that). Well, he moved to a regular bed a few months ago and we casually started looking. I was SHOCKED by the prices... and a little sick. Definitely not the time to be in the market for a new one :(

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. lynnmarie0123

lynnmarie0123 Member

When I picked up my pop up yesterday my salesman told me they had record Saturday sales this past weekend! And they've been open over 20 years.

20. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

That is most likely their way to be able to better contact trace if someone gets sick.