Is it ok to leave full propain bottle on while towing?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by sharkman987, Jun 3, 2009.

1. sharkman987

sharkman987 New Member

Is it ok to leave the bottle on while towing? I asked my dad and he didn't think so. Mine my clamping on with wing nuts like I'm sure all of them do.

Thanks

2. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Yes, by all means, leave it on the trailer tongue. I have two bolts with wing nuts that secures mine....I add a bungee cord just to keep it from wiggling any.

It is best to shut the valve off while traveling. This is a requirement in a lot of places.

Happy Trails,

3. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

I leave mine on the camper, but the valves should be completely closed. Im not sure if you meant on the camper or on as in the valves open.

4. dcj070454

dcj070454 New Member

Sure full tanks are fine, if empty you are without when you get to the CG. There are times they can't be turned on, like when running the refer and refueling your TV, but heck ya, keep em full up.

5. sharkman987

sharkman987 New Member

Yep I meant attached to the pop up through wing nuts. I don't intend to leave the propane tank hooked up to anything just attached with the valve fully closed.

Thanks a bunch :)

6. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

Towing with full tanks id fine, I leave the gas line hooked up but the valve is never open when towing.

7. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    Towing with them attached to the camper (but closed) is fine. If there are any tunnels on your rooute, you may wish to check with them to see what the limit is.

If you are thinking of travelling with your tanks turned on, don't go through a tunnel or try to stop at a gas station!

8. binky

binky New Member

While towing a trailer through tunnels in eastern Virginia, the propane must be turned off.

9. turtle

turtle New Member

I do use mine to run the fridge but be sure to have enough gas as too not have to fuel while the fridge is on otherwise msut turn off fridge and restar when finished fueling. I know there are those who say this is a no, no and many who travel this way. I only leave fridge on propane if traveling more than a couple of hours.

10. Djsrcy

Djsrcy Member

when i got my camper, they told me i could travel with the propane running the fridge which would mean the valves would be opened. Are they trying to kill me?

11. dcj070454

dcj070454 New Member

If you have to stop for fuel in your TV, the propane, and this is law has to be off. Best to tow off. Propane is heavier than air, remember when gasoline burns, it is not the gas liquid burning, it is the vapors.

12. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I always tow with the propane on and running my fridge. Absolutely no problems and it is completely legal in most states.

13. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

I was told the valves should be closed when in motion

14. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly Terra Alta, West Virginia

How many times have you been stop by the "law" to check to see if your propane is on or off? [}:)]

15. jenoble99

jenoble99 New Member

I do it both ways, if I am off work and we are heading from home to the campground I will pre-cool and shut off for the drive. If I pull the camper from home to work and then to campground after work I will leave it on with the fridge lit to keep it during the work day. In this case I light the fridge before leaving for work and let it run on the trip there and throughout the day.

16. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Unless you're crossing a bridge, passing through a tunnel, or stopping at a gas station.

17. TigerCamper

TigerCamper New Member

n00b question - I have never used the propane for the frig. Is it as simple as making sure the propane tank is open and turning the frig knob to 'gas'?

18. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

That's the easy part. Then you have to ignite it [;{}]. I don't know about anyone else, but mine is stubborn to light. Once lit, you have to hold the valve open for about 30 seconds for the thermocouple to warm up. Then you're good to go.

One caveat, I find that my fridge runs coldest when on propane. If temperatures are moderate, don't run it on high, or you may wind up freezing things (milksicles, anyone?).