Is it ok to run space heater?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by GlamperGal, May 12, 2021.

1. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

That's not the way converters work. There's 30 amps available for use, but you only draw what is needed.

2. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

I will double down on what @WrkrBee has said and point out that the power that feeds into the camper doesn’t go into the converter and back out to the plugs. The power is feed to both the plugs and the converter at the same time and only what is needed.

If you have a newer power center with breakers for the AC power, one of those breakers is the feed to the converter.

3. rescamilla

rescamilla Member

What ever you do, don't run a hair dryer on the same circuit as the heater. No bueno!

4. davido

davido Well-Known Member

I use a space heater almost exclusively when I have shore power (AC hookups). It won't run if you don't have AC hookups; the 110/120vac outlet won't have power when you're just running off of batteries.

A couple things to keep in mind:

• Be 100% sure that yours shuts off if knocked over. I think all of the ones sold nowadays do.
    • Find a location for it where a sleeping bag or blanket won't fall on top of it. Modern ones should shut off if they overheat, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    • A typical electric space heater that consumes 1500 watts will put out 5600 BTU/hr of heat. A typical popup furnace will put out two to four times that amount of heat. So in cool weather, the space heater is probably fine. In real cold weather, it's mostly just going to allow your built-in furnace to cycle on less frequently. If you camp in freezing weather with a single space heater and no furnace, things may get a little chilly for you.
    • I like the space heaters that have a freeze-prevention setting. You can turn it on the freeze-prevention mode and it will kick on only when temperatures drop below 38 degrees. This is NOT useful for while you're camping. But it can be useful for other purposes where you need to prevent things from freezing. For example, I missed winterizing my popup in time for the first hard freeze. I got myself through that 2-day event by putting the space heater inside the pup on its no-freeze mode overnight. It didn't stay on long enough to burn the PUP down, it just helped prevent the faucets from freezing and cracking in that emergency. -- I winterized a day later when things got over freezing again.

5. GlamperGal

GlamperGal New Member

Just an update - the heater I posted kept us toasty warm in the chilly low 40s both nights. It also stayed cool and we felt very safe running it all night with no problems. Added perk - it had nice faux flames that doubled as a night light. Highly recommend that particular model to keep a smaller popup warm! Thanks everyone for the input!

Sjm9911 likes this.