is it ok to take empty camp site fire wood

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by dave123, Jul 22, 2013.

1. dave123

dave123 freedom is not just another word

i'm kinda of a go getter if when camping i drive or walk by empty camp sites and theres wood there is it ok to take back to my campsite.... i do all the time boondocking but is is ok at paid spots????

2. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Yep, I think so. I do it all the time.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

3. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Only if in a campground that I am not camping in. Otherwise, if I am there, I lay claim to any firewood left by vacating campers. [:D]

4. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

If you can get it before I do [8D]

5. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

I'd say it's Ok - I often leave unused campfire wood, neatly stacked near the fire ring at my site, for others to enjoy. I usually offer it to my neighboring sites prior to leaving but if they don't want it I just leave it. It's there for the taking at that point.

6. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I do it. No reason that it is site specific.

7. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Yea, just make sure it is not a clearing identified wood like manzanita and stack it under your own wood, before they get back to their CP! [:D]

8. jjg

jjg Member

Oh yeah I'm always scoping out when campers are leaving and checking to see if firewood is left behind. It's kind of fun because I think other campers are doing the same thing.

9. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I think it's tacky. When I leave firewood at the campsite, it's partly to welcome the next people that are using that campsite. I don't like the idea of vultures coming around.

10. jackk

jackk Member

Until we leave the site for the day, stashing our wood under a tarp (it's December in Pulaski NY, salmon season) and take my buddy's family Dodge Travco fishing. When we get back there are a couple blazing fires, and our pile is gone.

After announcing that there would be no questions asked, no one fessed up. We went inside and fired up the generator for the rest of the night. It was 1985.

Blame it on our naivete, we were kids. Although I felt pretty good hitting that genny button and firing up the space heater.

Live and learn, these days I'd never leave firewood in a basically deserted looking site.

On a lighter note I now do an annual trip in November, we get a half cord delivered, burn as much as we can, and leave the rest to the seasonal peeps at Otter Creek in PA.

11. froggie

froggie New Member

I think going to other empty sites for firewood is part of the experience.

12. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Last camping trip, set up in our site and found a bunch of firewood (cut / split) in the bushes behind our site. Apparently the hosts go in as soon as campers pull out and do a quick clean-up (if needed) and rake of the campsite. Since they sell firewood for some extra dough, they would throw any wood that is left behind into the woods, hoping to sell more firewood to the incoming campers. [:(]

13. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Yes, I have taken left over wood.

But, I think we were at Prince Gallitzin SP??? and the campground hosts sold firewood. They had a very active Friends of Prince Gallitzin group. The hosts would clean up sites as soon as they were vacated. Clean out the fire ring etc. I believe they re-sold left over firewood. The Friends group had just donated some really nice play ground equipment when we were last there. They also gave away some very nice gift baskets, camping chairs etc. I was amazed at how generous they were.

14. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Vultures?

15. froggie

froggie New Member

Maybe a little harsh.

16. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I think it's appropriate. Picking the meat off the bones of the dead campsites. ( adding smiley face to make it less harsh)
    :)

17. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

I do all the time but I only do it when I am sure there is not anyone returning. Although I prefer to scour the woods etc. I don't feel as bad about it when I watch rangers go around to sites and fill the back of the gator up shortly after checkout time and then see behind the ranger shack where the campground wood is kept they are throwing it into the to be bundled pile and later that afternoon after checkin rush I see some pore low on the pole ranger bundling wood... Usually the youngest guy or most ripped doing it it seems. I envy him for gettin to do that labor that brings so much happiness to all who buy wood!!! I won't lie... Usually I carry a chain saw in my front box or tv. If I bring gas saw it had but one tank of gas in it and one of oil and I share my harvest or leave what isn't used neatly stacked. Don't transport wood as that spreads disease and insects!!!! I also have an 18V electric chainsaw that works well too for small stuff for just a two night weekends collection, my two battery packs get me by quite well. I always just cut up fallen trees and branches don't harvest standing timber no matter how tempting. (This method is done in areas that this type of collection is legal)

18. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I've only done this once - and it was when we were at Sun Lakes State Park this summer. And first, let me make myself clear that I see nothing wrong with it. I'd do it all the time, but I've never found any left over wood at a campsite until this summer. And even then, it was "by accident".

In this particular case, the couple that were camping in the site next to us were getting the site cleaned up, obviously getting ready to leave. But at the same time, they were also adding wood to an already rip roaring fire they had going! I was watching them while having my late morning coffee and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was even more stunned when they started their truck and pulled out, leaving behind their roaring fire. What in the world could've compelled them to do such a thing and how could they have thought it was okay?

I immediately got up and walked over to the site. A man who was camping across the street from us walked to the site at the same time. I hadn't noticed the big pile of logs left behind, stacked near a bush by the fire pit, but apparently he had. And he must have thought I was heading over there for the same reason, to get the wood, because the man said to me that he was only going to take a couple of the logs and we could have the rest! I said that was fine, but that I was much more concerned about the big fire they'd left burning. I think the guy then realized that that should've been his main concern too. So we got water and put it out. It took 2 huge buckets of water just to get it to the smoldering stage. After that, I called my DH over and we certainly had no problem taking the left over logs. Besides, if we hadn't taken them, someone else would have.

19. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Sure, why not?
    I'll bet you in Private CG's if there's firewood left behind, the CG will pick it up and resell it.

20. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I collect it and give it to the needy. If I want a fire, I'll just burn tires or garbage.