is it ok to take empty camp site fire wood

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by dave123, Jul 22, 2013.

1. ex-tenters

ex-tenters New Member

As soon as my grandkids get a bit older, I'm going to teach them the fine art of scavenging abandoned campsites for leftover firewood and the like.

Last week, we were in the Black Hills, and the folks across from us packed up and left. But, they left a box of firewood behind - I assume intentionally. Since we were leaving the next day, we didn't have any use for it, but I mentioned it to our neighbors at the next site, and they gladly accepted the gift.

I can't tell you how many times people have stopped by and asked if we wanted their leftover firewood - and, we've done the same.

It all works out in the end.

WL

2. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

My last trip I brought my splitting axe. You were not allowed to use a chainsaw but free to collect all the wood you wanted. The campground was pretty well picked clean and the host was selling cedar - burns REALLY fast. On our sightseeing trips (by truck) around the park (1,000's of acres), an area of burn had been cleaned and piled up. There were lots of very dry pine rounds ready for splittin'. We had some awesome campfires that week!

Gave away what we could not use. Nothing wrong with picking up whats left by others!

3. shawnba

shawnba Shitters full!!!

Before I leave, I will usually give the leftover wood to a neighbour as a gesture of goodwill! I have had people give me some firewood as well so it kind of balances out.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Ditto

5. boopheads

boopheads I'd rather be camping

It's like the penny tray at the gas station. Need a penny, take a penny. Have a penny, leave a penny.

6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

That the way I look at it. We alway bring firewood for our trips, if we find ire wood dead trees etcc we pick it up. If someone move out we take some. we may have longer and bigger fires then normal, but i have never ran out of wood. I leave what left because I have so much wood at home that needs to be used up.

7. steved

steved New Member

I had the camp host this summer tell me to take firewood from an empty site, I looked at her and said "why", she said "why not", and I replied "ITS GREEN!". I've watch people run around to empty site pulling firewood, we've done it when we first started camping; but it was too hit or miss and therefore we bring our own.

This past event I watch people pull firewood out of fire rings at OCCUPIED SITES!!!

8. xshield

xshield New Member

I have no issue in scavaging for wood after the camper vacates. However, I do usually wait until dark before I scavange the sites that still have campers on them. [}:)] [}:)] [}:)] Just kidding!!!! [:D]

9. BillG

BillG Go'in fishing

In New York you can not move firewood more that 50 miles, so all the State CGs sell kiln dried firewood. I do not think it burns the same but it does make a nice fire quite quickly. You can scrounge anything laying on the ground, and that to me has always included left wood at another campsite. [CP]
    This spring we camped at Buck Pond and they had just finished thinning the trees that surrounded us. There was so much wood for the using that every site even had a chopping block set up. Of course this wood did not burn very well as it was very wet. I left a great pile of split wood for the next camper to find out just how wet it was...hopefully it dries out by the end of summer [:D]

10. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

I usually wait until the campers leave the campsite.

11. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I've never looked for left over wood, but I will from now on. I usually plan my camp fire pretty well, but I am also limited to cargo with my TV prior to buying the pup...

12. steved

steved New Member

But that happens all too often...in our previous setup, I had a hitch haul under the tailgate (we used the tailgate as a porch for the slide in). During the one night at Elk Neck (Maryland), someone relieved us of about half our firewood...right off the hitch haul!

In a lot of the PA State Parks (and Elk Neck from what I remember), the Park Service cuts downed trees up into firewood lengths, and just leaves them in piles. Your only issue then is that it is likely green or wet, but it is meant for campers to use.

13. goody59

goody59 Member

First in best dressed. Hell yeah!

14. xshield

xshield New Member

Unfortunatley, you are right. It's a shame things like that happen. If those types of people are willing to snatch some wood I wouldn't be surprise if they rooted through folks coolers as well. I've had a few items swiped over the years. The one that angered me the most was a bottle of whiskey I left on the picnic table. I learned two things from that - put stuff away and bring extra. Unfortunatly, you can't do this with wood. [:(] I'd break someones hands if I caught them helping themself to my wood pile. [8D]

15. Hanvee3

Hanvee3 New Member

I usually pick up leftover wood. However, there was no need to do that the last time I camped two weeks ago at Awenda Provincial Park. The camp clean up guy picked up two unused bags of wood nearby and gave it to me while I was backing into my site. We splurged on our fires because we had the extra wood. [:D]

16. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

We lost a full bag of marshmallows that way...right off our picnic table under the awning. In broad daylight yet!

17. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Sure it wasn't the racoons? They will steal anything! [:D]

18. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

I don't take their firewood, I burn their furniture.

19. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We always bring our own fire wood if allowed. It seem the last few years we're being given much more wood my neighbors that buy wood and have problem burning it. I think its green. We add it to our fire and it works fine. Once I tried to start a fire with this green wood with the same amount of new paper I use for my wood, no such luck.

One trip the people were leaving the day we arrived. They gave us 3 bundles and told us they never could get a fire started.

20. steved

steved New Member

That's why I bring mine...most times the firewood that the parks leave out for scavenging is green. And I think that's why someone stole my firewood while I was at Elkneck, all the available wood was green and wouldn't burn, while mine was well seasoned.

I actually keep the firewood I bring under cover (i.e. lock and key) in the bed of the truck. I buy a triaxle load (in log form) at a time because I heat partially with wood...so its not "free" by any means, whether by $$ in the purchase or my time invested in cutting and splitting.

Every park has a vendor along the roads leading to the park, they sell firewood all day long.