is it ok to take empty camp site fire wood

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by dave123, Jul 22, 2013.

1. skiball

skiball New Member

On one of our trips last summer we were staying there for a week while the neighboring site was staying just the weekend. When they left they also left a large pile of firewood behind. My wife and I really wanted that firewood but decided to just leave it go. That evening the campground host (whilecutting grass) told me to take it. I happily did and had some wonderful fires with this very dry wood.
    After reading through these posts, I have decided never to pass up free firewood from a vacated campsite again. If they leave it, it's mine.
    Thanks...

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We use to not take the wood, but for the last 20+ years if I need it and it's left behind I don't think twice about taking it.

Also, when were heading back home we leave all the wood we have left over. I'm to lazy to to carry it back to my wood pile when I get home. I don't care who takes it as long as they use it and enjoy a campfire.

3. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

I typically end up buying more wood than needed at the campsite. We also leave the leftovers somewhere near the fire ring for someone else to enjoy. Its cheap enough and the money is already spent, so why not leave it? I could care less who took it, just as long as someone enjoys it.

4. skysummit

skysummit Member

I did this past weekend. One of our neighbors left the day before us, but welcomed us to what fire wood they had left. I appreciated his offer, and used it on Sunday morning to warm up the campsite.

5. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

It is not just private parks.. I have seen this at some state parks as well.. Back into the "to be bundled" pile.

If I am going to have to buy what someone else left behind (and is not coming back for) if it is left there, I will gladly grab whatever wood is there. Again, this is only if it is clear that they have left it behind with the intent of someone else using it.

6. lonewolf465

lonewolf465 Member

Years back when we had a pickup camper, we came back to our campsite to find our firewood gone. And a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet, clothes line with towels, folding chair and several other items missing. PLUS someone else was on our paid site. The dumpster was across from our site and I could see the carpet in it. Trying to be calm, I asked the family on the site if they knew anything about the goings on. They had no idea. The family next door came over and said they saw a guy a few sites down come over around 4 pm and pick everything up and go back to his site. Still trying to be calm, I marched down to his site and see what the heck was going on. His explanation was he thought the site was abandoned and he didn't want it to be vacant for the night. To my amazement, since we were in the middle of nowhere, a deputy sheriff pulled up and asked if I wanted to file charges. I didn't. I would have if there would have been a charge for being stupid in public. Anyway, I got our stuff back but it was getting dark and the campground was full. Our family was the talk of the campground by now and some kind folks offered to let us double up on their site for the evening. The next morning another couple fixed our family breakfast. I didn’t mean to highjack this thread, but yes, I will scrounge firewood from another site, but I make darn sure no one is coming back.

7. tenttrailer

I'll think about that story when ever I see a pickup camper. lol

8. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

That guy had some other motive. Clearing the site for a friend, or moving there himself. Nobody just does that for no reason. Besides that, isn't there usually a tag on the site post that shows that the site is paid for and occupied?

9. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Our last camping trip was to the Midwest Halloween Rally at Pokagon SP. Since we were staying until Monday, many members brought their firewood to us as they broke camp. Much to DH's dismay, we were unable to "burn it all" that final night. Monday morning the DH noticed two CG employees changing notices on the bulletin board. He told them we had quite a stack of firewood left and asked them to tell any fellow camper it was available. Within half an hour a very nice gentleman showed up with his truck. He was also from MI and was camping there for the week. He was very grateful and DH told him where our group had purchased it, as it was good firewood at a very reasonable price. It was a great opportunity to spread the word of the Portal and of the wonderful members and rallies! [:D]

Diane

10. lonewolf465

lonewolf465 Member

I never was sure what the motive was. With 100% certainty, he did not know the people that were on the site. I always thought that he cleared the site for friends, but these folks got to the site first. His site was at the opposite end of the campground. This was an old Forest Service campground that had an Iron Ranger where you deposited your money and you put the receipt on the windshield because there were no posts. You would have had to see this guy to appreciate what was going on that night. I'm not sure how he found his way back to campsite let alone finding his was way out into the woods. After all these years, I can see some humor in it now. What we were happy about was how many campers in that campground stepped up to help us.

11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I would think that anything left behind at a campsite at a private campground belongs to the owner of the campground. Taking the leftover wood is stealing. Would you check Hotel or Motel rooms for valuables after people check out?
    The left over wood could be a tip for the campground owner. Taking something of value that isn't yours is usually stealing no matter how you justify it.

12. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I grabbed some free wood this weekend, it was just a few pieces of pallet wood, but it was put to good use!! [CP]

I do not view it as stealing, whoever left it is the one who bought it or harvested it themselves, so they are the owner until someone else takes ownership. Now if they are still in the site that would be stealing...

13. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

i have left some "good" firewood a few times, and expect somebody else to salvage it to burn. :)

A couple of times, I have left some because I bought it from a vendor near the campground, but it would not burn. [:(O]

Only negative experience was when I collected some drift wood from some woods near the shore, and I was informed that
    collecting driftwood for firewood was not proper. [:O] Best to find out what goes as ok. [;)]

14. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Wow, a bit sanctimonious aren't we. You equate a half dozen pieces of split firewood lying in plain site at a campground to rummaging thru hotel rooms for forgotten jewelry and electronics? [V]

15. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

No, 1380 is correct. Leftover wood makes for a great tip. My servers at restaurants love it when I leave a few chunks of pine on the table to reward them for a job well done. [::)] Sheesh, join a forum and immediately start off with a bang.

People leave a diamond ring a hotel because they forgot it. People leave 4 chunks of wood behind because they'd rather not haul dirty wood back home. Most people can see a difference in the two, but that's OK, 1380, if you can't. For the rest of us, we can generally discern between forgotten items and abandoned items ... the latter having no formal owner any longer.

Take the wood and use it. That's why people made a conscious decision to leave it behind. Nobody's showing up 5 hours later asking, "Hey I accidentally left 3 really nice pieces of spruce here, you didn't happen to see them when you set up camp?"

16. tenttrailer

If I did not want you to take and use the wood I left behind. I would have when cleaning up the site taken it to the dumpster. But I thought someone would be able to use it.

17. tenttrailer

Your assumption is that wood is considered valuable. Leaving a few pieces of unused paper or a business card on the desk at a hotel, would you consider it valuable?? A hotel will call you if you leave your ring, camera, etc, but a few pieces of unused paper, No.

In most States the law is written that if a renters leaves any thing of value the landlord/motel/hotel and yes I would assume the campground is required to set it aside in a safe area. To try to contact the renter at the last known address and phone numbers and give the renter reasonable time to retrieve their items. Since I never heard of a camp ground contacting a camper that they left wood at a CS, I would assume they do not consider it of any value.

18. skiball

skiball New Member

Bottom line is, from now on. If firewood is left, I'm taking ownership of it.

19. dav1966

dav1966 New Member

I camped the last 2 weekends at our local state park before it closed for the season most of the people that camped the weekend before the last one must been their last trip I came home with more firewood then I took I even came home unloaded and went back for more I always do a ride though the park and check for firewood and other treasures

20. skiball

skiball New Member

If I find something of value. I'll take it to the campground hoast, park office, or campground owner. I would want that if I left something. But if I find firewood, after reading these posts. I'm claiming it...