is it ok to take empty camp site fire wood

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by dave123, Jul 22, 2013.

1. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I am just speaking about private campgrounds, public campgrounds would complicate the issue.
    Sorry that I can't come up with the perfect analogy to explain right from wrong to you. If you find something that is abandoned on private property do you think it is okay to take it? My point is that you have no right to touch anything at another campsite. It is really up to the campground owner to decide if it bothers him. I do not think that taking some left over wood is a mortal sin. When I leave a campground and I have left over wood, not very often, I will ask the people next to me if they want some free wood.
    What if a local decided that he would drive around all the campgrounds and collect the left over wood from sites and then sell it at his stand down the street. I bet that wouldn't go on for long.
    Back in college my roommate would go around all the classrooms in the beginning of the year and find old text books that were left behind in the lost and found. The lost and found was a box in a closet that every classroom had. He would then sell them to the book store. He made a lot of money but the book store was concerned that he was stealing books. He almost was kicked out of school but his parents were able to get the school to give him a break. Was it stealing? I am not sure.

2. skiball

skiball New Member

That is steeling.

3. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

Wow, which it was that cheap here! They charge $10 for a little bundle of cedar that burns up in 30 minutes! [:O]

4. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

They are selling you convenience which happens to be a sub quality bundle of wood for $5. I go down the street by the horse ranches and buy an entire trunk load for $20 and that is a good mix of wood that has lasted for 10 good campfires and I still have some left.

It comes down to each person and the specific situation. But 9 out of 10 times I'll take the wood and use it, it would not be right to sell it, and any left over would be left for the next person!!

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Maybe he figures he should be able to sell it at least twice.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

When I buy firewood, regardless of the source or location, it's mine. The person or organization that sold it to me no longer has any claim to it. If I wish to burn it, take it home or leave it for the next person I can do that because it is my property. If I choose to leave it at the campsite when I depart it is fair game for anyone else who comes along. Any person who takes wood I left behind is not stealing because I gave it to him/her.

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I think it's about $4-5 here, but I live on a very large wood lot and as a result have about 2 -3 cords of covered well seanosed dry wood in my back yard. will never burn it all because there is always something fall down to add to the pile. when we camp I take one large arm full for each day were camping plus one extra. Each arm is about 1 1/2 those little bundles. But on long trips I only bring about 7 days worth of wood. So I have to buy wood or get gifts from campers that left. I hate the small bundles, but for the people that left it thank. It's not that I hate it but most of the time it's very hard to get the wood burning.

But my normal camping trip, I'm leaving my extra wood because I don't want to carry it back to the wood pile, which I will ever use up camping and with my fire place.

8. skiball

skiball New Member

A couple trips ago, I did take wood from another vacant camp site, but only because the campground owner came over and told me to take it. It was very dry and I was very greatful.

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Refuse to haul fire wood, buy, take, steal, collect and burn it locally.

10. 1380ken

Would it be okay for someone who is not staying at the campground to take the wood? I think that it is only okay to take the wood if it is in a camp site next to your camp site. What would you think if the people next to you left two $5.00 bundles of wood and the guy from across the campground ran over and took it before you could. I could see fights breaking out.

11. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Could you, though? [:O] Not sure where you camp.

The day I fight someone over some firewood that is left behind is the day I have much bigger problems than that firewood. [8D]

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Who gets the first chance, the folks on which side? [LOL]

I'm calling digs on all abandoned fire wood everywhere!

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

1380ken said:
    I think it's extraordinarily unlikely that someone not staying at the campground is going to swoop in and get the wood I leave behind before another camper can get it. But if that happens, I don't care. I left it for whomever gets it. I would rather see the next person use it instead of selling it but: A) A resale is unlikely and B) I don't really care. Once I choose to leave it behind its ultimate destiny is out of my hands.

Why would (pun intended) I care if the person who gets the wood I leave behind is from a site next to me versus another site? I don't care. I'm leaving it for another camper -- any other camper.

Would I care if the guy next to me left wood (amount doesn't matter because we are talking about principles) on his site and someone from elsewhere in the CG got it before I could? No. First come, first served. You snooze, you loose. If I snooze, I loose. A fight over the wood? Are you serious?

14. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Well said UT

15. skiball

skiball New Member

I forgot to mention that when the owner told me to take it, a camper from 100 yds. away overheard and while I was just starting to pick some up, she came running over with a small cart and started picking up a big bundle herself. She said she overheard him telling me and wanted to get some too. My wife and I thought that was just rude...

16. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

I like to burn my neighbors camp furniture if I think the left it behind.

17. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I find the fact that you even need to search for a perfect analogy to explain your definition of right from wrong regarding the left behind firewood issue rather odd. No problem with having an opinion... but "right from wrong"? That seems rather self righteous. Many of us know right from wrong, we just don't think using left behind wood at a camp site falls into the "wrong".

I certainly don't equate using left behind firewood the same as going onto private property and taking something "abandoned". In your scenario, we rent the camp sites from the campground owner. He is not giving them to us. In fact, sometimes they're quite expensive. The owner also sold the wood to someone in the first place. It is not his anymore! Why is he automatically entitled to have it back just because he owns the campground? He already made his money on it. Why should he be able to resell it and make more money on the same wood, just because the owner of the purchased wood left it behind, presumably for the next person who is renting the site?

18. 1380ken

I am not self righteous, I would also take the fire wood, but it doesn't mean that it is the right thing to do. My point is that you are renting a campsite and have no right to touch anything at another campsite that you are not renting.
    And also to the point that if someone leaves wood and doesn't care who takes it, that is not the point. Nobody cares if you care, it is whether the owner of the campground cares.
    When you rent a campsite at a private campground you only rent your site. You should not be taking anything from the other sites. You should not even enter the other sites. You shouldn't be inspecting empty sites for anything that you can take. You shouldn't switch picnics tables or take fire rocks. Renting a campsite is very much like renting a motel room with no walls. Not many people would enter vacant motel rooms to switch appliances or get more towels or even left over wood for the fireplace. My wife did switch our dirty broiler pan in a condo we rented with one from an empty one from across the hall. So I guess maybe I would but that still doesn't make it right.

19. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Yikes.. All of that discussion and analogies only to say that you'd still do the same thing. I think I've seen it all. [LOL]

20. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Goes under the heading of "Do what I Say not what I do." Sincerely no offence intended to the OP but that is usually a liberal trait.
    I'll tell you how to act but I don't need to act that way.