Is it possible to replace janky crank downs with scissor stablizers

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by qswv, May 22, 2016.

1. qswv

qswv New Member

Greetings, I'm attempting to improve stability in our unfurled 2001 Coleman Taos. The original crank down stabilizers are still on there and they are fairly bent / janky. I'd like to replace them with scissor stabilizers if possible. Does anyone know if this is possible without welding? The current stabilizers are attached to the bottom of the PUP with two bolts. I've attempted to attach photos, hopefully they come through.

Any advice on this topic would be very helpful. Perhaps my only option is to replace the current crank downs with newer crank downs, but I'd like to rule out scissors first as they are my first repair preference.

Thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Another option would be stack jacks. Our first pup only had two stabilizers, of the style you now have, and one was broken by the time we owned it. 4 stack jacks were compact to carry, and make it very stable.

3. qswv

qswv New Member

Thanks for the idea KitPhantom, inexpensive and they get great reviews on etrailer. I'll check them out.

Thanks again!

4. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

I had the flip down stabs on my '04 Yuma and replaced them with BAL screw down stabs. Bolts only, no welding required. And I was able to unbolt the existing stabs, so no cutting either! [;)]

5. richardm311

richardm311 New Member

I am looking into upgrading this same issue. I even bought 4 brand new coleman legs. 2 of the bent the first time we used them. Garbage. Friar, you say that the BAL screws bolt directly into the current holes used by the flip down jacks?

Also, What are these stack jacks? How did you use them with only tow flip down jacks?

Thanks for all the info.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

7. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Amazon has the same stack jacks for $30.

8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Yes, you can replace the old ones for new scissor jacks. It is just my opinion...

But are you prepared to bend over to put stack jacks under the popup? You got storage room for these jacks?

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Stack jacks aren't the answer for everything, but they weren't difficult to use on our first pup. I could crank up the screw almost as far as I needed it before putting it under the pup. On that pup, we had two places on the back, where the original jacks were, for one set. The front ones were placed wherever was handy on the A-frame, though we tried to keep them as close to the outer edges of the pup as possible. They usually traveled in the tote of site supplies, or on the floor in the TV.