Is it right or wrong

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by kreich, Aug 23, 2011.

1. BratsMuttsNFish

BratsMuttsNFish New Member

I don't mind reservations, it sure would suck to drive 1500 miles and not have a spot when you get there. My mom and stepdad took a trip one summer though and camped out of their PPA book. They just drove, when they got tired looked in the book for a campground near by and showed up. I'm not brave enough for that. I have to have a plan and an itinerary.

2. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

For some of us, the reservation systems is indicative of exactly the kind of stuff we're trying to escape from in the first place by going camping. Frankly, I do think it's ridiculous that in many cases, you have to plan a year in advance...sitting there on the computer waiting for the clock to hit that exact moment you can reserve a site. Heck, sometimes I don't even know what I'm going to do tomorrow let alone a year from now.

I also think it depends on where you're going...how you like to camp, etc. For example, I'm going to the Grand Canyon in October; Mather CG does not allow drive ins during the season...you have to have a reservation. Because we want to stay in the park, we went ahead and did that. On the other hand....say Yellowstone....most of those CGs are firest come, first served, so reservations aren't even an option. There are also many like UT and myself that most frequently boondock or use forest service facilities....in either case, reservations are not accepted save for a handfull of forest service CGs in the country.

Personally, thre's nothing more liberating than deciding on a Wednesday that you're going to head on up to the mountains on a Friday just because you feel like it.....

Like (Travel Channel) Anthony Bourdain.....NO RESERVATIONS!

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

vjlarson asked:
    I don't use them but sometimes I get to a CG I want to stay at and I can't because while completely empty, the place is "booked solid." Or, I want to stay Mon-Fri but the sites, while open Mon-Wed, are reserved Thur-Fri nights. Also, I go camping when I feel like it. There is no way I can know if I'll want to go or be able to go on some date six or ten or more weeks ahead. Finally, I just have a personal problem with the idea that a piece of the great outdoors can or should be treated like a hotel room or restaurant table.

BratsMuttsNFish, you don't drive all day without Plans A, B, C, D and possibly more. I research ahead of time so I know where all of the possible CGs are in an area. If one is full or I don't like it I know where else to go next.

4. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I have yet to make a reservation but most CG's we frequent offer wilderness camping for $15/night, no hook ups just pick your spot and Pop Up [8D]

5. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

My last trip was at an ACOE place...my last few, matter of fact! I turned TWO sites in for doing that very thing. I had reserved about 6 weeks ahead of time and barely got ANY site. I had good time anyway, but I sure did narc them out. Ranger drove down and took the site #s and I'm sure they at least warned them once someone showed up...these rangers are great!! One even helped me load my cooler into the back of the TV!!

The only thing I hope for tent campers on hook up sites, is that it's not a gravel site! Been there, did that. [:(O] [:(]However, I also paid extra for hook up sites when I was tent camping. I have to have a heating pad at the ready!!

RE: OP Post....I'm with the crowd...if you want to pay for it, it's yours.

[:D]

6. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

It's so nice to be able to go camping when you feel like it. Many of us can't though... and if DH and I waited until Saturday morning, when we can finally take off and go, chances are we wouldn't get in anywhere because others were able to get there Friday night, so I'm happy to use the reservation system and know that we're going to have a site when we get there. Just sayin'. When we can get away for a Sunday night because DH is not working Monday, we don't usually have a problem getting in somewhere and we can just go. I guess until he retires, we have to treat the outdoors like a hotel room or a restaurant table, although I'd never thought of it that way and I'm not sure I like the picture. Bummer - but that's life. I thought the idea was to get out there anyway we can.

Anyway, the word "hate" just seemed like a pretty strong emotion for a reservation system. [LOL]

7. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Hey, I totally get that. It's terribly hard to plan that far ahead sometimes, although those are probably special campgrounds and/or premium times of the year (holidays). We've never planned or reserved that far in advance. We do much better with spontaniety on the whole but we've learned to work within this framework because we're not boondockers and probably never will be. Love the idea of it, but it's not our thing because of heath issues etc. More power to all though that camp that way. I have my issues with the reservation system but it is what it is - and it allow us to be sure of a site. It gets us out there at times when we otherwise wouldn't be able to get into a campground. :)

Sorry for getting off topic.

8. JETent

JETent JT

Being a tent camper for all of my life, I used to scoff at the RV'ers on my way back to the primitive (or non hook up) campsite. Now that I join the PUP world, I see a different side of things. But all said and done, I don't mind having tenters in the hook up site. Like it has been said before, they paid for it and have the same rights as anyone else. I have yet to experience it, but I have heard tell that TT'ers look down upon PUPers at RV parks...how do we feel about that?

This take is based primarily on the State Park system of Texas. The TPWD does the best it can on a limited budget, which results in overall cramped situations. I don't know. It just doesn't matter to me. Toss 'em a beer and invite them over for supper!

For grins though, I would like to run my Evolution 3 into a primitive area and see how long I can stay there! [;)]

It's all good.

Later,
    JT

9. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

DW and I typically camp two or three weekends a year(usually holiday weekends) with 6 to 8 other couples. There are two Pups and the rest are in tents. We form our own little community, even though we would welcome others to join us, and we usually have some sort of church service on one of the days (again, I would welcome others to join us). We always make reservations in order to have sites together. It would be impossible to get that many sites in a bundle on a holiday weekend without reservations. That said, I wouldnt have tht option of having my friends near me if they were not allowed to erect their tents on water and electric sites.
    We are planning to do a "camp" labor day weekend and have our "service" on one of the evenings as I intend to use a powerpoint presentation along with my sermon.
    (And at the risk of hijacking the thread, we try very hard to not interfere with others around us that do not wish to be a part of our outing. To my knowledge, we have not had any complaints.)
    Further, my tent was the first item I put inside the PUP when I started loading it...and it hasnt been out since.

10. AlanTn

AlanTn New Member

COE around here has even electrified the tent sites and charge them the same as RV sites. I have more a problem with that than with tenters choosing a RV site. They no longer give you a choice to have a tent/no frills site. Plus...they have barriers to stop any popup/trailer from using those sites.

11. theonlytina

theonlytina Member

We tend to try for tent sites b/c they are more wooded so we may forgoe hooking up for a better site. Someone mentioned tenters bringing the boom box & lights. That just happened to us 2 weeks ago. The tenters came next to us & wound up DUCK taping their spot light to a TREE for light & then they hooked the sterio up. They also didn't care about their sound level. We would have moved but we were already pretty set up & had a nice site. I just don't get the big spotlight myself. Use the fire from the CAMPFIRE or have some dim lights...just saying!

Tina
    Baltimore MD
    2004 Palomino Pony
    family of 3 plus big puppy

12. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

It's amazing how some people think we all want to listen to their choice of music. Even if it was music I liked, I don't want to listen to theirs when I'm camping.

13. JETent

JETent JT

Obnoxious behaviour, rudeness and inconsiderate actions (loud lights and music) are not limited to tent campers. Unfortunately, there are bad apples everywhere. All lights out (incl so called "tacky lights", porch lights and etc.) and music off by 10 is always a good rule of thumb in my book.

Camp in peace or go over and kick their a#$es. [LOL]

Later,
    JT

14. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

At the first Texas Rally we were trying to save locations for the later arrivals and a couple in a tent setup in the site next to us with water and electric. DW pitched a fit but I did tell here that they paid for water/electric site and can setup where they want. After getting to know the couple we became friends and they were made honoray puppers for the weekend and even participated in the pot luck dinner. It turned out that they are from our neck of the woods and we have become pretty good friends.

15. jlynn58

jlynn58 Active Member

Why can't we all be friends?
    Keep On Camping !!!

16. Eurocamper

Eurocamper New Member

Nope. First come, first served - I have no problem with that.

17. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

Some state parks have some that you can reserve and others that are first come first served. Maybe this would be a way to make everyone happy.

18. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Our favorite state park is like that. I love the system because we almost always start our weekend mid-week. If I can't get reservations through the entire weekend that I want, I just make a one night reservation for our first night at any site available. Once there, we snag the first available FCFS site and stay as long as we want. So far it hasn't backfired.

19. mitchum

mitchum New Member

Hmmm... can't say one way or the other.. to many drunks and family arguemnets in campgrounds... we prefer boondocking. but I guess I would have to say that depends on where its at, if there is another site that I could pull into, I am fully contained and can park else where if they will let me.

I guess that would be my deciding factor... can I park some where else. if not then I'll be upset that I didn't get there sooner.