Is it wrong to want an air horn

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Yukon Jake, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Yukon Jake

Yukon Jake New Member

at 8:00 in the morning, after a night when the family reunion two sites over has forgotten that quiet time applies to them too?

Labor Day weekend in Sequoia, awakened by their drunken shouting at 1:45 in the morning. When I went over to remind them (politely, honest!) it was the women who cussed me out.

I really wanted to blast an air horn the next morning, after the rest of the campground was up, and they were all passed out and hung over.

2. Lauren5280

Lauren5280 Member

Banging pots and pans together is effective too!

3. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

I try to make sure I am extra noisy when that happens. And Grin the whole time.

4. wtpooh55

wtpooh55 New Member

Toss some firecrackers in their fire, or maybe in their tent! I didn't say that.

5. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

had the same problem at a Bluegrass festival this past weekend. .. 4 AM and they had loud rock type music from their car turned up LOUD and were not even paying attention to it. they had to talk loud themselves just to hear over it.. they were asked once and did turn it down around 2;30 but half hour later back up again..
    IF I had one of those air horns I would have gave them an early morning toot.. like 6 ish....May get one for just this use.
    Of course they never got up till noon.......
    g

6. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Too funny...I told my wife I was gonna get a remote controlled Predator Call system and hide it in the woods behind our neighbors site.

7. okiecat

okiecat New Member

I had a set of train horns mounted on my dodge diesel, with a compressor running of engine and a 10 gal tank under frame. Found many entertaining uses for the horns!!

8. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

As tempting as it is, I was always taught that two wrongs don't make a right. Even if other campers are up and about, it would still be annoying and you'd just be adding to the problem.

9. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

DelVal???

10. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

I've been tempted so many times to "give the noise back" when I am up at 6 AM. But, what would it really solve? Besides that, from the looks of most of the folks who behave as such, they'd be too dumb to know your ire was directed at them anyway.

11. lbdelaney

lbdelaney 1992 Jayco 1206 Deluxe

We were out camping for a weekend several years ago.. Had this same type of thing happen...
    But what was so funny all the people in our loop all got up about the same time.. ( us old farts ) so around 7 ish or so when all the neighbors were all up all the neighbors starting doing the loudest activity they could think of.. Genorators, a leaf blower, Motorcycle, Outboard Motor, a little Frankie played loud.. Diesel engines... Kids screaming and playing etc... it was so funny.. seriously it was a site to be hold.. needless to say they got up and took out of there.. so Saturday and Sunday was nice and quite... still laugh when i think about it... Kind of think of one, thing starting up, then the next, then the next, then the next .. till they got up and moving around and then some more, ... laughing now sorry, still can see it.. this keep up the entire time they were packing things up and moving on... as soon as they drove off the site the noise stoped like a switch was turned off... was the best.. BTW We had the barking dog... Laughing...

12. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Ya know ........

A number of years ago up at the in laws cottage, there was a baseball tournament happening locally. The neighbor has an empty lot between his cottage and ours. It was a super hot night and we were sleeping with our bedroom window open. This window is 15 feet away from the property line. The empty lot was filled with pup tents and partyers for the tournament. They all felt it would be a great idea to party, drink, sing, yell, barf, ..... you get it..... until some crazy hour of the morning. This wasn't the first time that had happened there, and I kind of had my fill. So I laid in bed and gritted my teeth for the whole night. The next morning, at about 8:00, I figured the lawn needed to get cut. It actually didn't need cutting, but you know it could use a little trim job [:D]. I got out a lawnmower, not the new one, but the old crappy lawnmower, the one with no muffler and barely runs, it revs up and down and up and down, and started it up about 10 feet away from the closest tent, and let 'er rip. Man people were staggering out of tents all over the place not knowing what planet they were on. They were all swearing at me, but I just kept cutting the lawn, and there were no confrontations. We still laugh about that day.

My DW just saw me typing this and started laughing out loud as she was walking away. :)

13. turborich

turborich Active Member

14. lbdelaney

lbdelaney 1992 Jayco 1206 Deluxe

LOL.... now that's a AIR HORN....
    What went thought my mind was having a tape of a freight train playing and at the edge of the persons site hit the Horn on that.... LOL can see it my head.. people trying to get out of what ever there in as fast as they could.... video tape it and send it to AFV...

15. rjniles

rjniles Member

Think about the rest of the campers not just the ones who disturbed you. Your noise wiill disturb all.

16. TGuy

TGuy New Member

Re: Re: Is it wrong to want an air horn

17. NetDad

NetDad New Member

It is for this very reason, that when I look for a campground to camp at, I look at the reviews and search for comments like "over enforce quiet hours or fire out time". To me this equals "my kids will be able to sleep".

I love the horn idea, but it would probably have a high risk of confrontation.

How about getting all the neighbor "good" campers to have their kids play a nice loud game of tag? Nothing wrong about that!

18. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

19. kjcamper

kjcamper Member

I would have so loved that horn last year at Vista Royalle when what looked like an entire Frat House camped right across the street from us and partied until 4 in the morning. I would have gone around to warn all of the others of course so they could pull up a chair and watch the show. [:D]

20. Geistak

Geistak New Member

Ahhh - you need my grandchildren!

We love them, their Mom & Dad loves them - but it has to be said that they are officially classified as Weapons Of Mass Destruction.

For a rental fee, plus expenses, they could be flown to the US and unleashed upon your thoughtless neighbours.