Customer

Super Active Member
Jun 5, 2014
11.23vdc is a dead battery.

voltchart1.gif

dion

Apr 26, 2012
Phlerb said:
I also tested the TV output and pin 4 was 12.90V. So, not fantastic but should be enough to keep the battery charged I would think. The Orange wire attached to the output plug seemed to be 12 gauge to me.

12.9 V won't significantly charge a battery. Was that 12.9V while the TV engine was running? The alternator ought to put out at least 13.8V. Was the trailer plugged in and refrigerator on?

If you had the trailer unplugged and the engine off when you made the measurement, then you're just measuring the voltage of your tow vehicle's battery. 12.9V is about right for a well-charged battery with a little bit of surface charge. If you measure without the trailer connected and refrigerator on, you're proving that your tow vehicle has a charge line, but you're not showing how well the charge line is able to supply the current needed to run the refrigerator.

As Customer points out, the battery at 11.23V is discharged.

Phlerb

May 7, 2013
12.9V was with the trailer not plugged in, but the TV idling. I will test again with it at 1500 RPM or so also.

Phranc

Apr 9, 2014
Turn the AC off and any other accessories that may be on. Look at the voltage at idle, then push it up to 1500 RPMs. Something else I would check. After the TV has sat for several hours, connect the voltmeter. Should be about 12.8 or so. Then with the meter concocted, (get help) start the motor. Observe that the meter should go to something above 14 VDC then slowly settle back around 13.6.

Then would be a good time to check the battery on the pup, after it has set for a few hours after charging, also. Refer to the chart above.

tenttrailer

Art & Joyce - Columbus, O
Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
Phlerb said:
Is there a way to properly test the battery and see if it is the weakest link?

You can buy a tester which a good one is over $100, or you can take it to an auto parts store and have them test it and if bad trade it in on a new one.

seigell

Apr 23, 2011
If you take the Battery to an Auto Parts Store (or WalMart - they're rather good for RV Batteries), and find that your Battery is KAPUT...
Do your self a Big Favor, and purchase a Deep Cycle Battery - preferrably a Marine Deep Cycle (as used in Fishing/Trolling Boats) or even better an AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery. Yes, it'll cost a bit more (25-35%), but it'll stand up to heavy Charge/Discharge Cycles and other abuse that use on a Pup commonly involves.

Phlerb

May 7, 2013
Resurrecting... What and where can I get a good replacement battery?

Starting to get the itch for camping, even though it is -12°F this morning