Is my math wrong?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Detroit_Iron, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Sound advice from all...be diligent as hay in choice & ask any & all questions on what you plan to purchase; had I spent as much time on school stuff in my youth as I do now studying purchases, Id have been a Rhode's scholar...if need be, find a pal that knows their stuff & have 'em go w/ you if/when you look, peace of mind has no price...

Sjm9911, RockyRoo and Toedtoes like this.
  2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Isn't that the truth. And all that math that you were certain you would never need in real life....

When my niece turned 13, I took her on a day trip. That morning, I gave her a map of the town, a list of sights to see, and a notepad. I told her to pick what she wanted to see, figure out the best route between them and order to see them in, and to make sure we had enough time to do it all. She spent the ride down figuring things out.

She suddenly looked up and said "this is like those word problems we do in math class".

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

Again thanks for the replies. If you stuck around this thread this long to read this then I’ll ask here instead of a new post. The two units I’m looking at are

Coachman Apex 193BH
    Forest River Wolf Pup 18TO Black Label

I’ve only owed a few pop ups and all have been Starcraft. Any common issues to look out for between the two manufacturers themselves or are new campers pretty much all the same quality wise?

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Love this idea, may have to try it myself if I ever get my nieces attention anymore. Problem is her attention span is small. However it will help build her research strength.

Toedtoes and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Is it dealing with the colder temperature? Do you store your PUP at home? Do you need hard side or an actual TT? If all you need is hard side and have room to store a PUP at home there are options. A-frames and Trailmanors are both hard side and similar in size to a PUP when closed, except the larger Trailmanors. Due to HOA rules I had to store my boat away from home when I lived in Florida. The hassle of having to load everything in the truck and go to the storage yard, get the boat, then drive to the water meant the boat almost never got used. The storage fee was just salt in the wound. Swore I would never be in that situation again.

Rik Peery likes this.
  6. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Keep an eye out for RV show prices. Last Sept, $3k-6k off price at the show for 2018/19 models

7. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

1st off good luck in your Quest. I'll agree with your perspective change. At the end you wont be wishing you spent more time at work making more money. Just to add Our limited opinions and experiences to the mix..and we have only been camping together 35 years.
    Moving to a Hybrid made it SO MUCH EASIER for us to do short weekend trips, its always packed and ready to go....State Parks, Boondock at friends... 10 3 day trips makes a month...Longer trips... Multiple times have done quick overnight stops without unhooking. 3 1/2 week run to Maine this year. That in itself is worth the expense.
    Camper choice...Keep stashing money into your fund, and keep looking around... Spend time going to RV places, sitting around in different models...DONT overlook used ones... ALOT of folks buy campers with big dreams... and they get sold at a big loss with very little use...
    Most warranty work is already discovered and fixed in 2 years... let someone else sit at home while the campers getting repaired...
    Climbing over each other.... Your 2 choices appear to still have you doing that.. Thats one thing we would like to change.

8. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

You can get a camper in the 20'-22' range far cheaper than 20k. DW had to keep me from jumping on a 2019 Jayflight 184BS for 12k.

RockyRoo likes this.
  9. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Let me add a twist, we have a dog. So she travels with us. I been spoiled with the Travel Trailer. For the all complaining i do. My Back which caused me to move from PUP to TT went for good. So no RV as i cannot hitch anything for a few months. Now instead of camping i look for AirBNB and other rental with dog. either board for 300 a week or take her with us . the cost is scary and i swear i will never complain about the rv payment any more. Instead of a week costing 150-250 depending on type of campground i am paying 1000-1200 yikes

i do have to say i am not really wise with money, went to school to make enough money that 20k camper should never be financed as it close to what make in a month but i have had bad habits and been wiser and digging myself out of it . So having education and money does not make you wiser.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019 at 11:30 AM
    kcsa75, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Here's my deal....
    -Why buy new when slightly used will do? Let someone else spank the new off of it, buy one in late fall in the snow belt before they store it - like I did.
    -Insurance, gas and miles don't figure for me. I run 80 miles per day and don't care about that cost, nor will I fret with a camper.
    -Every seen someone camping at a midsized TT frowning? Nope
    -It is just as easy to get into a "divorce" situation with a PUP as is a TT. Ask any bad lawyer

If you want it, can afford it, and don't have to choose between eating and fun $ do what make your life go along. Life isn't dollars and cents if you're doing what you like.

kcsa75, Rik Peery and neighbormike like this.
  11. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

My sister in law does that for every camper that they have ever had. She figures how many trips they need to make every year to make the camper worth the payments.
    They have wore out three tow vehicles in the process.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lucky for me math isn't my strong point!

J Starsky and neighbormike like this.
  13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Amen to that! I played that game when I bought my new pup... no way I will put myself through it with my TT! Pretty sure I have the world’s most expensive cheap hobby! [LOL][LOL]

J Starsky, Sjm9911 and kcsa75 like this.