Is one night camping worth the trouble ?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by GAPopper, Apr 1, 2016.

1. GAPopper

GAPopper New Member

We are off weekends. My dilemma is that I don't get off in time on Friday evenings to make it to the cg before closing. We can leave Saturday morning and come back Sunday afternoon. Would you go through the trouble of packing and unpacking for one night.

2. Winchested

Winchested Member

Do you not get holidays?

Do OT one day and leave early on the Friday?

3. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

I vote no...

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I prefer to do one night in a tent vrs popup and that's only if the campground alows early check in. The only time I spent one night in the popup was when I was working on canvas the Saturday and needed to leave it set up threw the night to allow sufficient dry time. Wanted to take advantage of it up. :). I usually take a little PTO Friday or trade hours with someone. Then again I have a 9-6 (on a good day) job.

5. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

I'd ask, "How bad do you want to get away?" Then it might be worth it.

But personally, Set up / tear down and packing / unpacking is alot of work for just 1 night.

6. MikesRaleigh

MikesRaleigh Member

We did it once, the very first trip in the camper after we bought it, and it was such a big hassle I swore we weren't doing any more 1 nighters. But since then we have figured out our routine, figured out what stuff could be left in the camper, and what we could do without on the shorter trips (awning set up, fridge/water hook up if only one night could be left off) and got set up and break down down to a much quicker time. So much so that I would now consider doing it again.

I say go for it if that's all you can get off from work. Might as well enjoy it however you can. You will get the routine down in no time.

7. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

If you have a place to go that's relatively close to home I would at least try out what a one night trip feels like to you. Pre make simple meals that won't require cleanup. Take your watch off and lock your phone in the TV. Make the 36 hours count!

Maybe reserve the site for Sunday night so you aren't rushed during the Sunday morning pack up.

8. WingShot

WingShot New Member

It is generally not worth it for us. For a one-nighter I would probably go back a few years and toss the futon in the bed of the truck. Have slept back there many, many times. However, on a long trip with a nights layover, we will "turtle" (??). We can leave the PU hooked up to the TV, raise the roof, and fully deploy the rear bed.

9. Jughed

Jughed Member

Typically no - 2 night min, usually 3 nights. If we are going to the lake and taking the boat as well - 5 nights.

For 2 nighters - I will load & hook up the camper Thursday night and bring it to work with me & meet the family at the CG. Or if the wife is comfortable with the distance - she takes the camper up and sets up most of the outside stuff, and I will show up later and set up the camper.

Sometimes we stay over Sunday night & I leave for work right from the CG. The wife can handle the camper breakdown and hook up to the TV...

10. MickeySp

MickeySp Member

We do the one-nighters occasionally. It's a pain, probably not worth it, but my kids love the afternoon/evening that you get on arrival day, so we suck it up. If you can swing the fee for the second day, that would greatly improve the worth as you could stay into the afternoon and tear down towards evening. Otherwise you basically wake up and start packing...

11. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

Can your significant other head out to the camp site and set up before you get off?? if they set up then you could tear down and it would be fair.

12. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Other than food, pillows, gas and propane, the pup and TV are pretty much always ready to roll. If there's a restaurant and/or a grocery store reasonably close to the campground and the CG is under 1-1/2 hours away, we've done it.

Alternatively, camp driveway always has a spot and you don't even need to bring food along! ;)

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

For us a one nighter for a weekend trip is a NO-GO!!! Just to much work!

14. SLOTerp

SLOTerp Member

Our inaugural trip was one night - picked up the PUP from the dealer on Saturday & went right to CG. Fortunately, the CG wasn't crowded and had a $10 late check out (like 5 p.m. or so). Double good because it rained all night and we needed the extra dry time.

Would we do it again? No. Our minimum is 3 nights. We'll even let the kids play hooky to get a three-day weekend.

15. Molly T

Molly T Member

If it is close by, YES!! go early, have your dinner prepped ahead of time. Enjoy one night out in nature, and feel good when you get home. Just take the basics.

I have an annual glamp out in Oct for my girlfriends, we camp out in my backyard, fire and tarp and everything, it is like we are in the woods. The campers sleep in the camper, the glampers sleep in the house!! One time it was Halloween, I decorated with all sorts of spooky things, we had a blast.... oh and we are all over 45!!

16. bldmtnrider

bldmtnrider Member

If it is within an hour or 2 from the house I would do it in a second. We have set our camper up so we grab a bag of clothes, a 7 gallon jug of water and food and we are on the road. Propane gets topped off when we get home and everything else stays in the camper.

The only hard part is since we boondock getting a good site on a Saturday morning can be a little challenging. Need to have a few back up plans if we are going to a crowded area.

17. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Again it depends... on what you plan to do.. for one night, I wouldn't set up the awning and chairs... I would do these things if its 2 night minimum. If you plan to hike which would take a lot of hours, no need for any chairs set up outside. just depends..

18. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

So far I have not been able to convince myself that I would go thru the effort for one night. But I think that many times we've been out, there have been one-night campers in neighboring sites. So people do it. Many usually break down camp before we even get around to breakfast, and they are on their way. We prefer to take a more relaxed way when out camping.

We do have a couple nearby places that we frequent, so that helps eliminate the scenario where we wouldn't arrive until too late for check-in, etc. But I guess if that were the only option I had, I'd eventually break downa nd say 'yes', it's worth it" just to get out camping.

19. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

I'll do one night stays occasionally. When I do it's usually leaving on Sat morning or early afternoon so we can enjoy some activities at the park, then staying until checkout time or even a little after on Sunday before we go home. These trips are usually very close to home to get as much time as possible at the park.

20. chambo

chambo Active Member

Personally I would pass on a one night trip. I keep the pup stocked and ready but it is still quite a bit of work for one night. But it all depends on you and how bad you want to get out there.