Is our 2007 Coleman\Fleetwood Sun Valley worth trying to salvage?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by SapperWing, Oct 16, 2019.

1. SapperWing

SapperWing New Member

Hiya - first time poster....

I've done considerable research and reading on this site, but I'm still not sure how bad off I am....

Long story short. Bought our second popup in 2007 (First was a Sante Fe) when my kids were in 4th and 6th grades while living in Denver. Used it every weekend (mostly) - and we loved seeing the West as "Tow-heads." Many, many great memories.

Shortly after, in late 2009, we lost everything to the "Great Recession" - but we couldn't let go of the camper (too many memories). I joined the Army (still active) and put the camper in outdoor storage in Colorado. We just got stationed back at Ft. Carson. We've pulled the camper (well, limped the camper) back to the house. After 10 years of outdoor storage in Colorado, untouched, the poor thing is in real bad shape.

We popped it up (which wasn't terribly easy), and, after getting over the musty and moldy smell, went inside. I suppose the roof has been leaking for sometime.... "delamination" inside and out. There's mold on the canvas, etc. It's a mess. The floors, cabinets, etc - seem like they're in good shape. In fact, if I could clean up the mold - get a new roof - it would be in great shape. But... it's a real mess. The mold might even make it unsalvageable...

It's heartbreaking - you open the drawers and you see the spices and utensils neatly put away from our last trip; a few pieces of firewood; our kids games - it's like going back in a moldy time machine. My wife saw a wiffleball bat and cried...

So, I'm happy to try - but hate to throw good money after bad.

Thanks in advance!

2. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

Hello and welcome from Hampshire UK[GBR], only you can say if it's worth the effort getting it back on the road. If you intend to carry on camping or not, what would it cost to replace the trailer and would you be able to do the work yourself? if it was me I would get it back on the road.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia. Rebuilding the roof yourself would be the only way to be cost effective to salvage the pup

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Yeah the recession hit me hard as well. My old camper sat for a couple years before I was able to pull it out. Thankfully my roof wasn't in nearly as bad of shape but water sure did it's damage. Sadly I ended up having rot set in and even though I fixed the leak, rot was continuing to get worse. So from your description a roof rebuild will be your option. The question is, how handy are you and do you have a place to work on it. I ended up using my old camper for another season after stopping the leak but eventually made the decision to buy a new popup.

5. SapperWing

SapperWing New Member

Thanks all for the support.

I'm on leave this week, so my wife and I removed the tent, and lifted the top off (with the help of a tractor). Once flipped over, we started removing the ceiling plywood and layer of Styrofoam.... it was soaked. There wasn't a spot in the entire roof that wasn't dripping wet. I wasn't surprised quite honestly.

My plan was to take out the ruined plywood and foam insulation - down to the thin layer of fiberglass. I was planning on the fiberglass to be the base from which to rebuild. Unfortunately, there was no fiberglass. Under the styrofoam - there was only the thin layer of brittle and cracked plastic sheeting (ABS?). So, there's not really anything to build from. Certainly not what I was expecting....

Anyhow, I'll look for rebuild project thread that doesn't have any fiberglass foundation in the roof.

*Edit: Guess it's a "filon" roof. Soaked plywood, soaked foam - and badly cracked filon. hmmm.....

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  6. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

So sorry to read this. Hits me in the feels as a parent of kids with a lot of memories tied to our camper. Heck, recalling the previous season after a long winter in hibernation was nostalgic. Stuff in drawers were like time capsules. When the time came to trade in our PUP, we were sad enough letting it go, but seeing it busted up would be much worse. Good luck with your rebuild.

7. SapperWing

SapperWing New Member