Is popup setup any easier now?

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by mickaqua, Jul 27, 2019.

1. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

Went to an A-frame style popup awhile back, mainly for the ease of setup and takedown.

I remember having to pull out beds that sometimes stuck, and then having to lift them
    to put the support poles into position. Even the memories are painful.

Well, we were having considerations for the additional space of a standard style popup,
    and wondering about improvements in the setup of newer units?

Can anyone talk about how easy their popup setup is?

2. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

I believe that the newer Coachmen Clipper Popups have a cable system for the bunk ends that they slide out and are held up by cables, no breaking your balls I mean back trying to get the poles under there. But I don't have any idea how much easier it is.

I've recently gone to a 23' travel trailer as far as setup there's still quite a bit to do. I need to level it, put down stabilizers, setup water and sewer, has a slide, etc. But I don't have to mess with bunk ends, and get so much more comfort for my efforts.

neighbormike likes this.
  3. bheff

bheff Active Member

It is going to depend on the Pup. In general, no. My Flagstaff has support poles that look like the number "7". The top rail slides into a notch and then bottom slides into another. The bed then slides across the top of the "7". No need to lift.
    When I did need to lift in previous pups, I simply used my back. It really wasnt an issue.
    Complete set up takes just minutes after leveling and that includes the slide

HappyTraveler likes this.
  4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

After I moved to a HHT, I now know why I don't have a pup. Now I level ( same as with the pup). Just drop the bunk end. push a button and the awning comes out. I am done

5. ReGuLtr

ReGuLtr New Member

We have a newer Rockwood 2318G and the first few times I set it up, I honestly considered immediately reselling it.

Fast forward to this year and we just camped this weekend and set up and teardown was a breeze...and I always setup our PUP by myself so my wife can wrangle our daughter and the fur babies.

In our unit, the bed supports go on first and the bed slides and rests over them. We love the space, lightweight, and manageability of a PUP and now that the door can be setup pretty easily, we're good to go!

6. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

I use a screw gun to raise and lower the roof which cuts a few minutes off the time. I also installed a power tongue jack which does not save any time just muscles.

I also setup the pup myself while my wife takes the kids to the playground. During packup she takes the kids to get coffee and by the time she is back the pup is ready to go.

7. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

We have the remote to raise our roof and absolutely love that thing!
    Stabilizers are a breeze to lower and we're doing that manually.
    The bunk ends my dh can do himself, but if I'm not doing something else, I can lift up when he needs me to.
    All in all, the hardest thing we've found is leveling with the lynx levelers. One campground we stayed at, we actually just gave up and moved to another, more level, site.
    Thinking the Anderson levelers might be easier.

8. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

I would say that my NTU 2006 Niagara feels easier to set up than my old 2003 Jayco Qwest. The biggest difference is that the bunk end support poles are attached underneath the beds on hinges and that the canvas is attached to the end of the bunk (just have to attach some bungees along the sides). However the new one has a slide and a hard-side bathroom, which adds time. So maybe we've just gotten better at it : )

Admittedly it is a bit of a pain to set up. But our PUP is the biggest thing we can tow with our current TV and we don't camp often enough to justify the cost of a bigger camper AND tow vehicle.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Bought a cordless drill and socket jenie after blew out my shoulder and it makes setup much easier, even works with the Bal leveler. I wonder why I didn't do this 10 years ago.

Orchid and HappyTraveler like this.
  10. bheff

bheff Active Member

I flip a switch to raise the roof as well. Now of we can just flip a switch and have the stabilizers drop and cinch up, we will have the worst over with!! Lol

11. eriefisher

eriefisher Member

My star shuttle once level takes about ten minutes to set up. No power just manual cranks. Winch and Jack's work smoothly. The beds slide out real easy. It's all about have things work as they should and using an efficient routine to set up.

tfischer and Minimalist like this.
  12. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

OP, we had a 2016 Jayco, relatively new by all standards. That was the only PUP we ever owned, so I can't compare to older units, but to your question, no, I don't think things have gotten easier/better/smoother. Granted, the motor roof lift was obviously nice. I won't complain about that versus cranking. In fact, the kids loved "helping" with the button pushing part since it was so fun/pleasant. I had a drill and socket for the stabilizers. But that's where the ease stopped.

After that was the same old wrestling with the bunk ends and setup. Pulling out the beds was done slowly because they often got hung up on their own rails, box edge or canvas, plus it had to be lifted over the box and bunk end supports to get into final position. Then I had to crawl under each bed and lift it on my back to finagle the slide supports to their nesting brackets with my hands. The front ancillary supports braces off the hitch were the hardest to get into place. Lifting the king bed on my back took everything I had, in the heat, while making sure the slide supports stayed put and getting braces into their brackets. The last challenge was the door, not because it was heavy, but just really awkward. I had to balance it on my head after unbuttoning it, then carefully lower the bottom trying not to hit anything (I always scraped some cabinet or counter top). The sliders on the top of that thing never want to slide, so you have to coax them to start moving while holding this door up in an awkward position standing in a hot tent.

Packing it up was just as cumbersome and difficult in reverse. Lifting the whole bed on my back to grab the braces. Lifting bed while pushing it in with wife watching everything inside to make sure no gear gets snapped. Stopping to tuck in the bunk end canvas and make sure it doesn't tear while pushing the bed in. Lowering the roof took multiple stops and trips around the PUP to tuck in the canvas along the way.

Blah - don't miss any of that one bit. Camping with our PUP was a pleasure, but my memories of what I just described are painful too. Everything above is honestly why we started camping less and moved to a TT.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  13. ReGuLtr

ReGuLtr New Member

This was the key for me, at first I was none too efficient and now that everything works smoothly and the steps are a memorized routine setup is a snap...as long as it's not raining...or really really hot!! Lol

HappyTraveler and eriefisher like this.
  14. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

With tent camping, everything had to be set up. Guess I never minded doing it b/c I've been doing it for so many years. Honestly, the pup is that much easier than what we did before. Yes, there's work involved, but just doesn't seem to bother us.
    Good thing there's different ways to camp, so more people can enjoy it.

Bigantlers and rjhammetter like this.
  15. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Getting a winch to raise the roof helps tremendously. A newer popup will have newer guides and wouldn't have had the time for things to settle and get out of whack so that in theory would slide easier.

16. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Some of the new Forest River pups, Coachmen Clipper and Viking, use cables instead of poles to support the bunks. So you just crank the roof, possibly with an electric lift, then slide the beds out. No poles to lift or set into place.

17. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Ditto!