Is Reflectix worth it?

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by Cory Olivieri, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Cory Olivieri

Cory Olivieri New Member

We will be camping in mid 20's at night and wanted to see using the reflectix on the pullouts is really going to make that much of a difference. If you highly recommend is this enough to do the pull out beds on each side? Thank you in advance
    Reflectix 100-sq ft Reflective Roll Insulation (48-in W x 25-ft L)

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We used the Popup Gizmos bunk end liners on a ocuple of cold trips, and then changed to clipping up pieces of fleece around the edge of the bunks, and over the areas of tenting where the insulated curtains didn't cover. For us, that provided more insulation than just Reflectix in the windows would have done. The fleece covered the tenting as well as windows.
    [We also used Popup Gizmos on the outside of the bunk ends, in all weather. Helped in cold and hot. We camped into the teens in both pups, not on purpose, but regualrly into the 20s and 30s.]
    More ideas here for cold weather camping: http://www.popupportal.com/forums/cold-weather-camping.104/

PopUpSteve and Cory Olivieri like this.
  3. Cory Olivieri

Cory Olivieri New Member

Thank you!

EmilyGhetto616 likes this.
  4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Reflectix for the large windows would help, mainly cutting back on wind. Use PopUp Gizmos on the the bunkend tops and their Bunk Lines inside.

For the reflectix, put foil tape along the edges and round cut any corners. This should help protect the window screens.

You may also try reflectix under your mattress. Some people have found it helps.

When ordering, make sure you tell Bob you're a PUP Member!

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Reflectix in my opinion does help, everything you can do to insulate will help even blackout curtains. I personally put reflectix in all my bunk ends, I just ordered gizmos for my bunkend tops (I used a reflective tarp before), and blackout curtains for my main area. If it's windy I will tell you it can eventually find its way in so trying to block all areas as much as you can will be a huge help. In my case my door is where the cold really seeps in and I just haven't figured out what to do there yet that won't get in the way. I considered taping reflectix on that too. I also made a cooler cozy with the reflectix and found that made a huge difference with my cheap Coleman cooler I have. i personally found a use for reflectix in many areas of camping. If you sit by the fire but find you butt gets cold in the chair, sit on reflectix makes a huge difference. I did put reflectix under my bunk and found it helped some but never bothered when I started putting a closed cell foam pad under the mattress for comfort.

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Reflectix helps for both reflecting heat to keep the pup cool and holding heat, however it has better reflecting properties than insulation properties. I use both Reflectix and Gizmos. The lowest temp I have used it is 42*F.

Using one roll of 4' x 50' I was able to cover ALL windows with about three square feet to spare. I also used aluminum tape on every edge to help with wear to the Reflectix and the pup screens.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  7. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

If you're camping in cold weather you need to retain as much heat inside the camper where it belongs so along with PUGs over each bunk end using Reflectix window inserts will make a huge difference. If you're camping in particularly hot weather and have A/C running those same inserts will help it deal with the heat load much more easily. I doubt a 4' x 25' roll would be sufficient to make 6 inserts unless you're willing to tape pieces together - I wasn't and instead bought a 4' x 50' roll. The key IMO is to make cardboard templates you can adjust to just the right outline before cutting the Reflectix itself.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

I only used the window inserts in particularly cold or hot weather, the rest of the time they lived flat under each bunk end mattress.

Reflectix used over the bunk end tenting instead of PUGs is also much more effective in terms of heat management but it can stain the tenting if wind causes it to rub.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

I also stapled a layer of Reflectix under each mattress and did find it kept us warmer in really cold weather.

Jim Haner and Cory Olivieri like this.
  8. Cory Olivieri

Cory Olivieri New Member

Thank you!!

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

did you mean to say MINUS 42?

10. Halford

I have Gizmo for interior and exterior. It kept popup warm and toasty and I was able to sleep with shorts and t-shirt under sheet (no blanket) during 27 degrees. the next morning there were ice everywhere, hose and water filter burst... Gizmo works! I used it in summer which kept popup cool... works well!

Cory Olivieri likes this.
  11. Cory Olivieri

Cory Olivieri New Member

I am going last minute camping so the gizmos wont get here in time so I was just going to get some emergency blankets to throw on the bookends and then put the reflectix in the windows

12. Halford

its cheaper with Gizmo and no pieces would be wasted. good if you can order after the last minute camping.

13. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We had some popup gizmos bunk liners left over from one of campers when we sold it. The bunktops went with the campers. We ended cutting the bunkliners to size for under the mattress. There is a large difference with the linders under the mattress. Beds are much warmer when you get it them if the camper is warm and it seems that they are warmer all night.

I felt that the gizmos are a must if camping in cold weather and very nice in hot weather. I know with our bunktops on a large canvas starcraft popup with slide out when it was 105 degrees and full sun, in the summer of 2012. The ac was able to maintain 70 degrees inside. We actually had to turn the AC thermostat up because it was getting to cold. During the winter when it was mid 20, it sure seemed the furnace ran less with the bunktop and liners. I always felt it might be worth buying additional liners to cut to size for the windows (between screen and vinyl). Much lighter material than reflectx and maybe we could put it down with the gizmos liners in the windows???

14. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Another thing you could do is to put bunkend skirts on the camper. Cuts down on the wind blowing under the bunks.
    Bunkend Skirts.jpg

15. Cory Olivieri

Cory Olivieri New Member

Where do you get those?

16. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Do a google search. I've been thinking of making a set for a while now. Problem is, a lot of time you may park on macadam and can't stake them down. The design I came up with, I put a hemline filled with sandbags to keep them from blow all over the place. And use snaps to attach them to the underside of the bunkend and the camper.

17. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

If its last minute. I would just take some light blankets and put the up over the bar at the end of the bunkend then put up the j-bar and clip the blanket to the canvas at the roof edges. I have seen some people just put a silver/gray tarp over their camper.

18. GreyFox

Fleetwood used to offer bunk end skirts for their series of campers, don't know if other current manufacturers do, but you could always build a set using vinyl material. Problem is, you don't want all these "tricks" (PUGs, Reflectix, skirts, etc) to become a setup nightmare - PUGs are easy, especially the super high wind versions, as are bunk end window inserts, but skirts? Where does it end? [?:~{]

PopUpSteve likes this.
  19. mv520

mv520 Member

I made them just for the bunk ends. My unscientific results (using a thermometer on different nights compare with and without reflectix) are in 30 to 50 deg outside temp w/o wind it keeps the MIDDLE of the PUP interior at least 10 degrees for sure, possibly 15 deg warmer than without. But the single biggest advantage is it makes it more comfortable for laying in the bunks especially if you are laying sideways across the bunks as the person on the end who no longer has cold outside inches from your body on 3 sides of you insulated only by canvas.

In the summer it seems to me they help most as a reflector on whichever side is facing the sun., as opposed to thermal insulation.

The room darkening effect is a real nice bonus.

Do make patterns out of corrugated cardboard first (it doesn't have to be one solid piece if you don't have anything that big - you can tape together pieces to make it a larger piece, and in any case you'll probably end up splicing/taping in repair pieces when you goof and cut the template too small). My experience is to err on the side of a little too small. You can't stuff oversized pieces in the zipper slot, and you want to be able to just slip them in without totally undoing the zipper completely. If they are a little too small no one will ever notice with the canvas margins around the screen area. Get the templates how you want them, then cut with a straightedge laid on top of your template (as opposed to trying to follow the edge of your cardboard pattern to guide your knife to get nice straight crisp edges) with utility knife on a smooth concrete floor. At the risk of stating the obvious you don't need a template for every window – left/right and front/back will likely be mirror images.

If 4’x25’ will be enough is dependent on your PUP model (which you don’t list in your original post). But I think I used that same size roll to cover the 6 bunk end windows (1 full + 1 king) and had more than enough left over for a cooler cover (which REALLY works – a very clear reduction in ice usage. That surprised the heck out of me , and was good confirmation reflectix works).

Now this paragraph will be very unpopular – it is just my opinion - so please don’t anyone waste a post disagreeing with me, it is just an opinion of someone who has never used a popup gizmo: I personally don’t get all the popup gizmos hoopla. (almost seems like a never-ending religious cult, similar to the “other” cult of followers of bal levelers – a device IMO that most people can easily manage live without.). I’d recommend just buying some cheap reflective ‘space blankets” and with a handful of spring clothes pins. On the coldest of nights we put them on top of the bunk ends (usually outside, but sometimes inside if it is windy out). I can’t quantify how much it helps above the reflectix in the windows. Space blankets can be bought on Am*zon and other places. Cheap, and useable for other things as opposed to more expensive, custom, not-useable for any other application gizmos. YMMV.

20. GreyFox

Any "hoopla" is because most people like easy and are willing to pay for this convenience. PUGs are very easy as Bob has taken all the guesswork out of the process, especially for Fleetwood / Coleman popups for which he already has all the measurements. For others you're probably best to measure but how to do this correctly is spelled out quite clearly on their website. The end result is a custom fit. [A] Secondly, secure attachment has already been worked out, especially with the Super High Wind version. [A] As far as performance goes though anyone can build their own set using readily available survival blanket material - the downside is the fit just won't be as precise and you do have to figure out your own method of attachment. Ordering a set of super high wind PUGs is particularly expensive for those of us here in Canada due to exchange rate, shipping, import duties, and tax so I do plan to build my own set for the Fleetwood Resolute we're buying next spring. Won't be as pretty as PUGs but they'll do the job for much less. ;)

PopUpSteve likes this.