Is Reflectix worth it?

Discussion in 'Cold Weather Camping' started by Cory Olivieri, Dec 20, 2018.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We "bought into the hoopla" becasue we found the PUGs actually work - I was able to compare, literally side-by-side, our old and new popups with and without them, set up in our driveway.
    The first PUG, for the old pup, was the high wind version, with one shock cord, and using clamps on the sides - in the winds we encounter, even hefty clips popped off. We bought super high wind ones for the new pup, and had Velcro added to attach under the roof edge. I can sew very well, so contemplated making my own. I added up what all the webbing(for casings for the SHW version), shock cord, clips, and fabric would cost, I was very happy to order them from PUGs, and have them the correct size, etc.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

the hoopla kept the vinyl covering of both bunkends and slideout cool. without the Gizmo, the vinyl covering tend to get HOT and the bunkends & slideout (dining area) get too warm for me. It actually work and I will continue to buy Gizmo as needed.

Cory Olivieri likes this.
  3. Goldievirtuoso

Goldievirtuoso New Member

In my experience the Reflectix is absolutely worth it in both winter and summer. Our pup has Reflectix in each of the bunkend windows. I don't own actual gizmos but made my own version of them from Reflectix and absolutely swear by them.
    We camped a few weeks ago where the lows were in the 30's at night. We used an electric space heater and stayed quite comfortable. A couple of things I noticed: 1. The area in the middle of the camper where no Reflectix was being used was noticeably cooler than the bunkends. I think this was due to the high winds which were able to blow some cold air through the canvass. 2. The metal support bar that holds up the bunks was also noticeably cooler to the touch in areas that were not covered by the Reflectix on the outside.
    In the summer, here in Texas you have to have them. It really really makes a huge difference.

4. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

This is the easiest way to go . tarp over and close to the ground on the ends

5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

This would not be allowed in many campgrounds. Some allow but most of where I camp, would not allow this. Gizmo works great for me and kept me warm or cool depending on weather.

6. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

This is what I used last Febuary. I used velcro glued to the reflectix and velcro stapled to the valances for the sides and velcro glued on the bunks, it needs a bit of tidying for this winter camping but it did make a difference

Attached Files:

HappyTraveler likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

This is our first season with SHW PUGs and Reflectix. We have a hybrid but find that the PUGs are a huge help in direct sun. I made Reflectix cutouts for all of the canvas windows. The heat, even in slightly chilly weather runs WAY less with the Reflectix. The Reflectix only has an R-value of 1.1 by itself. It definitely helps in the cold. But its real benefits are in direct sun. I made a folding piece of Reflectix to fit under the PUG on the big front bunk. I'll be making ones for the other bunks too. But I won't bring them unless I'm expecting cold weather.

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Reflectix works really well as window inserts [:P] but be aware that if you also use it over the bunk end tenting that in time they'll wear and leave a grey residue on your tenting which is difficult to get off. BTDT. :(

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

AH! Thanks for the tip!
    Maybe I'll add a layer of poly sheet on the bottom side. Or something. 3M spray adhesive sticks a lot of different things together.

10. Mat Kyne

Mat Kyne Member

I camp in Texas, and PUGs are an absolute requirement. Refletix in the windows is nice to have. It does help a lot, but after I got the PUGs, I don't go camping without them. When we tried before it was 90 degrees in the camper with the AC on max. The next trip when we had the Gizmos, the inside was a cool 75 degrees when it was 99 outside. The only downside of the Reflextix is that is is a barrier to opening up the windows when the weather turns nice. But, I've passed on the job of installing the "shiny windows" to my 8 year-old. I have also modified the PUGs to install in about 1 minute per side by using Velcro and bungee cords.

11. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

We use reflectix in our pup and not only does it help the a/c keep up, it also keeps the bunk ends dark, so we're not getting up with the sun or being bothered with headlights shining on the canvas.
    Haven't gone winter camping with the pup yet, but I'm sure it will also help retain the heat; especially at night.

12. Minimalist

Minimalist Active Member

Reflectix does help. Have you tried just going to the basics like a warm sleeping bag and/or thermal underwear. Nothing better than sleeping in nice cool air.

13. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I tried reflectix in the windows at first. But found it kind of a PITA, so I stopped using it.

I find that it is easier to just run the a/c or heat more if it’s hot or cold outside.

My old pup had dual 6V GC batteries, dual propane tanks, 15K BTU A/C with heat strip, and a 12K BTU furnace.
    Between managing the weather, dry camping or hookups and nights camped; never had a time that we couldn’t simply adjust the temperature to keep us comfortable. From 30 degree KY mid fall nights to 95 degree FL mid summer days.

14. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

As a general comment, reflectix has no real R value. Absolutely it will reject solar heat gain. For retaining heat, R value to heat retention is not linear. Meaning absolutely anything will make a big difference over nothing. So yes it's worth it, but don't expect miracles from it for retaining heat.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

1.1. Not a lot. But it's better than a layer of canvas. Literally better than nothing.

16. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

Yup. I do see a lot of snake oil claims with Reflectix and "Up to R30". Yea no, not happening. There have actually been a few lawsuits where contractors insulated an entire house with this stuff, no other insulation. Shockingly it didn't work.