Is Shower Cassette Toilet Removable?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Nani2, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We are looking at a 2018 Flagstaff 228 with the shower cassette toilet.
    I don't see us using it.
    It is bolted in. Could we easily remove it without damaging it in case we wanted it later?
    We are also trying to get the weight down. How much would we decrease by removing it and the rolling container and the 2 curtains?

2. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Why dont you look at a unit that does not have a toilet. If weight is an issue look at a lighter unit.

kitphantom and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

If it’s a towing issue I can’t imagine you would save enough weight to matter. Don’t forget, all your camping gear, clothes, food etc has to factor in as well

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Not saving much in weight. But I think it can be removed easily, and patch the floor. As for reinstalling, probubly harder.

kitphantom likes this.
  5. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

I bet it weights less the 100 lbs.

I am sure it can be removed without any issue, but I agree with the others of you are that close on weight you are already overweight with gear.

What's your tow capacity?

kitphantom likes this.
  6. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

I like this one because it has a king and queen bed but it's at the upper end of our target weight. Trying to make it work for us.
    This model is hard to find. It is actually 200 miles away.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  7. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Our stated capacity is 3500 but I have heard Siennas are not good tow vehicles and we should stay low 2000 lbs. We are no where close on weight now but are watching and trying to stay low. But that king mattress is really appealing!!
    I also would prefer to have that cabinet for storage rather than a toilet in my kitchen.

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I think it would be a mistake to remove it. You could still use the area for storage. I would be very surprised if it made any real difference in weight. They heaviest things are carrying water and propane tanks. I don't travel with either. Made my camper total electric since we always camp with hook-ups.

Nani2 likes this.
  9. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We don't plan to carry water either. We will use a propane tank some trips and leave it home others.
    I thought the enclosure would be heavy like a porcelain bath tub.

10. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

I also do not carry water to save weight.

I tow with a pacifica minivan, dry weight 2500 lbs and I have not had an issue yet.

11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

It's very light plastic. The heaviest part of it is the flip up wall. You could take the hinges off and remove that, but it would be nice to keep if you are using the area for storage. Honestly, I don't think the weight savings would be worth it.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

RV bathroom and toilet construction is lightweight. (It's possible to buy a porcelain toilet, but I doubt they're standard except on the larger RVs.) Curtains wouldn't save enough weight to bother removing. Tote probably doesn't weigh much either.
    LP and battery on the tongue are weight, but they also often help keep tongue weight where it needs to be (10-15%) - lighten it too much and sway issues can develop.
    We didn't have water in either pup, we used 4-7 gallon jugs in the tow vehicle. We never travel without a jug or two of water in the TV, given where we camp/travel. (We do fill the fresh water tank on our TT, it tows better with the lower center of gravity and we can use it en route. The majority of our camping is in campgrounds without hookups, and often no handy place to fill the tank directly.)

If you want to keep your total weight below 2000# you may need to keep looking for lighter weight campers. Something like one of the Livin Lite pups might be an idea. Remember that dry weight is a semi-useless number - you'll need clothing, etc. so it counts as cargo either in the tow vehicle or camper. Our Coleman Cobalt, which had a queen bed and was an 8' camper, was around 2500# loaded.

13. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Weight savings wouldn't be enough to be worth the hassle of removing it. If you're that tight on weight you might want to consider a lighter camper or a TV with a higher tow rating. BTW a toilet it the camper is your best feature when you need to make an emergency toilet run and it's dark and raining outside.

14. Tumbleweed53

Tumbleweed53 Member

Even if you don't use the toilet area, you can use if for light storage.