Is the center seam supposed to be like this? 2000 Viking 2485ST

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by CamperChrissy, Mar 5, 2018.

1. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Looked at a Viking for sale today and noticed that the roof seam seems kind of bare. It is the 2 sheet metal halves of the roof that meet in the middle. Only thing covering that seam is some old, half-missing caulk/tape stuff. My Jayco has a metal channel that covers the seam, a vinyl strip that goes in the channel, and then caulk the sides of the channel. Seller said that's how it's supposed to be, from the factory. I did not see any screw holes along the seam, which would indicate a missing piece. Is this how it's supposed to be? upload_2018-3-5_15-12-19.png

upload_2018-3-5_15-12-19.png

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I've never seen one, but that doesn't look right. They need to clean that out and get some Dicor in there asap, regardless.

3. myride

myride Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm thinking there is deffinately something amiss here.....and by the loops of that call job I'd be worried about water penetration.

4. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

mine is the same way never had a problem at all ... i did work at a sign shop and covered mine in vinyl just to be sure

5. myride

If that' the case with Viking products glad I didn't buy one.....talk about a maintenance headache....

jnc likes this.
  6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Does not look very good. If it hasn't leaked, needs to me cleaned really well and I would re-seal with Dicor. If it has leaked that could /would be a problem. Good Luck and Happy Camping

7. austinm48

my only leak ever in that roof is the ac is not well supported and it vibrates loose... then leaks around the seal i figure it was made in two halves like a commeecial aluminum window frame and leaks into the seam so the metal groove inside can catch the water and channel it out, so if it gets sealed then the watwr will pool behind and cause a leak. mine has never had a leak on that seam so i leave it alone, i did reseal the edges, and i took the rubber covers off the edge of the roof and found they were cheap on screws so i put more in to tighten the roof and fill the holes they skipped

8. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input all. I have to say, I didn't see any obvious signs of water damage. However I noticed that the caulk all around seemed old and moldy and pulling away and the trunk lid seemed warped and the gasket was loose. So I decided to pass. Even thought I couldn't see any water damage, I just didn't have a good feeling about it for some reason.

Orchid and jnc like this.
  9. myride

ALWAYS go with your gut instinct. ..

10. austinm48

i do not have the trunk on mine i did re caulk edges a few years ago mine i found out after i bought it had a lift post top pulled out of thewood which i had to make work

11. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Looks like moisture gut under the caulk and finally it peeled off showing mildew underneath.

12. peter moyes

peter moyes Active Member

it is a 2 part roof seem yours is missing,,,its a raised seem check out colaeman roof pics