Is the furnace hook to my propane or electric? How do I hook my camper to a battery?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by stacey short, Jan 30, 2019.

1. stacey short

stacey short Member

Hello from NC Triad Area, I hope every one is enjoying there day. I have a Jayco 1990 deluxe series 1006. I haven't plug my viper in to a receptacle yet. I'm steal working from outside in. I would like to know how can I tell if my furnace work or not. What should I be aware of before turning it on and what does it use for heat, or does it use both. How do you plug your pop up to a battery.

2. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Try to find the model for your furnace and look for a manual in the manuals section. It'll be propane and you'll know when it's working--these things are hot. It may or may not also require electricity to run (but the actual heating is from propane). I think it will; you probably have to get back into the 1970s to get the ones that don't use any electricity.

Battery...does it have a spot for one on the tongue or anywhere else? If it didn't come with one, it'll take a bit of work to get it set up.

stacey short likes this.
  3. stacey short

stacey short Member

I do have my manual downloaded to my phone I'm going to look into it. Thanks

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Your furnace will require power to run. Either battery power or the camper plugged in. The fan operates on 12 volts.

stacey short likes this.
  5. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Suggest you find a manual for the camper model/year so you can understand all systems and setup.

stacey short likes this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

When I looked in getting a battery installed on my old 1990 Jayco I took it to a shop and he told me my camper was not wired for a battery. When I asked to get an estimate to get it wired he said it couldn’t work with my converter, but that was probably a lie because they didn’t want to do the job or didn’t want to work on such an old camper. Shops around here are funny about that. I ultimately just plugged my camper to house hold socket and never bothered. Then again my camper was as bare bones as they came back then, propane stove and a itty bitty sink and that was it. Good luck, I am curious what you find out.
    As above your furnace will require a power source (I honestly would just try hooking the camper to your house socket) and propane. If the camper was sitting for any extended time, check first to see if any bugs made a nest in the lines first. For some reason they love propane lines and mud dauber love vents. Once your lines are clear first power up your stove, to help work out any air that is in the line before trying the furnace.

Lebowski16 and stacey short like this.