Is there a definition for a PUP?

Camp-N-Nuts

KrustyKamper
Aug 9, 2011
2,025
Central WI
There are hard-bodies that "pop-up" (like Trailmanor). There are 6 footers' that flip-out without a lift or bed slide. [;)]
Doesn't a "true" PUP "have to" have a lift system and bed pull-out? [RTM]

Curious people want to know! [2C]

Alan
 

Sushidog

Active Member
Jan 8, 2008
650
New Orleans
I think if it pop's up or folds up it's a PUP. It doesn't matter if it is entirely made out of tentage or it has hard sides and no tentage except an awning. Using that definition, I think a Hi-Lo, A-frame, Trailmanor, or shortlived Fleetwood Tacoma as well as the old hard sided Apachees and Palominos are all pups. IMHO

Whereas hybrids that pop out, rather than up, are not pups.

Of course this comes from an Aliner owner so I may be prejudiced. ;)

Chip
 

disp44

Member
Oct 31, 2010
77
Being old if not wise: A jack in a box (toy) popped up when you turned a crank. Therefore it must have a crank to be a pop up. [:D]
 

Unstable_Tripod

Well, there's your problem!
May 20, 2008
14,278
Seattle, Washington
As a TrailManor owner, I agree with Sushidog. Hard sides or not, something that folds over or slides out or collapses in some manner is a PUP IMO. My TrailManor has a lift system that uses torsion bars (like those at the top of some garage doors) to assist in raising the shells. When I pull the release levers on those shells they actually pop up (part-way -- the rest of the distance is done by hand). Then I slide the beds out under the shells at each end. They have metal supports running from the far end of the bed back toward the body, just as most tent trailers do. So, using the definition posed by Camp-N-Nuts, (i.e., Doesn't a "true" PUP "have to" have a lift system and bed pull-out?) the TrailManor is a "true" PUP.
 

Camp-N-Nuts

KrustyKamper
Aug 9, 2011
2,025
Central WI
Unstable_Tripod said:
As a TrailManor owner, I agree with Sushidog. Hard sides or not, something that folds over or slides out or collapses in some manner is a PUP IMO. My TrailManor has a lift system that uses torsion bars (like those at the top of some garage doors) to assist in raising the shells. When I pull the release levers on those shells they actually pop up (part-way -- the rest of the distance is done by hand). Then I slide the beds out under the shells at each end. They have metal supports running from the far end of the bed back toward the body, just as most tent trailers do. So, using the definition posed by Camp-N-Nuts, (i.e., Doesn't a "true" PUP "have to" have a lift system and bed pull-out?) the TrailManor is a "true" PUP.

I wasn't aware of the pull-out beds (I didn't see it on their website). Is there a video of one being set-up?

Alan
 

Camp-N-Nuts

KrustyKamper
Aug 9, 2011
2,025
Central WI
Unstable_Tripod said:
As a TrailManor owner, I agree with Sushidog. Hard sides or not, something that folds over or slides out or collapses in some manner is a PUP IMO. My TrailManor has a lift system that uses torsion bars (like those at the top of some garage doors) to assist in raising the shells. When I pull the release levers on those shells they actually pop up (part-way -- the rest of the distance is done by hand). Then I slide the beds out under the shells at each end. They have metal supports running from the far end of the bed back toward the body, just as most tent trailers do. So, using the definition posed by Camp-N-Nuts, (i.e., Doesn't a "true" PUP "have to" have a lift system and bed pull-out?) the TrailManor is a "true" PUP.

What we know as a pop-up doesn't actually "pop-up" (It is cranked/motor driven by pushing or pulling up the roof. With the torsion springs in the TM...that sounds like it actually "pops-up"! [;)]
 

Lizooki

getting back 2 nature
Aug 2, 2011
91
Well, let's confuse things even more.
The original "pop-ups" actually folded out.

My parents first pop-up was a 1960-something Trade Winds ( maybe a Tahiti).
Tiny , light, all canvas and the beds folded out.

Only the upscale models had any kind of lift.


Matt
 

Unstable_Tripod

Well, there's your problem!
May 20, 2008
14,278
Seattle, Washington
True. My parents' "tent trailer" had doors that flipped over 180 degrees to become the beds. Then there was an aluminum frame to assemble on top of the trailer. Finally, the canvas was rolled out over the frame. Nothing popped up. Here's what it looked like set up.

OldTentTrailer1.jpg
 

Camp-N-Nuts

KrustyKamper
Aug 9, 2011
2,025
Central WI
Unstable_Tripod said:
True. My parents' "tent trailer" had doors that flipped over 180 degrees to become the beds. Then there was an aluminum frame to assemble on top of the trailer. Finally, the canvas was rolled out over the frame. Nothing popped up. Here's what it looked like set up.

OldTentTrailer1.jpg

Wow! It looks like it would be hotter than Hades in there! [}:)]
 

mckeapc67

Active Member
Feb 22, 2011
681
If you don't have to "raise your roof", it's not a Pop-Up. [;)]

I would also add that it has to be mounted to some sort of trailer frame to qualify. Slide-out beds are not required. Although the truck bed mounted tents and/or folding campers could be considered.

This would include all of the different types of PUPs to include hard sides (Trail Manor, A-Frame, etc.), conventional canvas PUPs, and those with primarilly a canvas tent that folds out from a trailer (like I've seen towed behind a jeep or motor cycle).
 

cwolfman13

Super Active Member
Feb 9, 2011
3,220
Unstable_Tripod said:
True. My parents' "tent trailer" had doors that flipped over 180 degrees to become the beds. Then there was an aluminum frame to assemble on top of the trailer. Finally, the canvas was rolled out over the frame. Nothing popped up. Here's what it looked like set up.

OldTentTrailer1.jpg

That looks like exactly what my grandparents camped in when I was a kid.....probably until the mid '80s or so and they upgraded to a more modern p'up. They had that tent trailer a long time.....we have pictures of my dad as a teenager camping in that tent trailer and then me as a youngster.

I always thought it was a very cool way to camp.....tent in a box; no frills.
 

Unstable_Tripod

Well, there's your problem!
May 20, 2008
14,278
Seattle, Washington
Camp-N-Nuts, it could get pretty warm in there at times. It had a window on the back wall (side toward TV) and with the door open as you see it here, the breeze could flow through fairly well.

cwolfman13, this picture was taken in 1959. Do you know the name of the trailer your family had? I still don't know what this was and I've never seen another like it.
 

cwolfman13

Super Active Member
Feb 9, 2011
3,220
Unstable_Tripod said:
...............cwolfman13, this picture was taken in 1959. Do you know the name of the trailer your family had? I still don't know what this was and I've never seen another like it.

No....I've asked both my Grandma and my dad and neither can remember. Time frame sounds about right for the pictures with my dad.....probably more like mid '60s actually.....hard to believe they had that thing for so long.

I actually just saw a modern version of this a couple weekends ago when I stopped by a hunting and camping store hear in Abq called Sportsman's Warehouse.....it was pretty cool. I told DW....see, we should have just gotten one of these.
 

Camp-N-Nuts

KrustyKamper
Aug 9, 2011
2,025
Central WI
Unstable_Tripod said:
Camp-N-Nuts, it could get pretty warm in there at times. It had a window on the back wall (side toward TV) and with the door open as you see it here, the breeze could flow through fairly well.

cwolfman13, this picture was taken in 1959. Do you know the name of the trailer your family had? I still don't know what this was and I've never seen another like it.

Looks like the door has "ties"! Pre-Velcro and no zipper! [:(O] We had an old canvas umbrella and no windows! [V] Phew!!! [SUN]
 

Greywuff

Active Member
Oct 2, 2008
253
Virginia
I can tell you for certain that the car in the picture is a 1955 Ford. Have no idea about the Pup. My Palomino has hard sides and slide out beds on both ends, and the roof cranks up. I consider it a Pup.
 




Top