Is there a site like this for tent camping?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by The Baroness, Aug 1, 2018.

1. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I had the same results with my tent as well. Even though I was always so very worried about not having the ground tarp stick out, always water between both. Moved the tarp inside I had much better results. Don't understand the theory but wasn't going to argue with what works. If car camping I brought my plastic awning mat for my camper and put it under the tent. Water drains out of it, and kept the rocks at Bay a little. Sure don't want to haul such a big mat every tent trip, but was nice not having to crawl in mud/water to get in the tent if it rained.

2. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

I do the same, have a plastic camp rug that I place in front of the tent and have my camp kitchen off of the outdoor rug too.

I agree, good not to be in the mud cooking or climbing in and out of the tent :)

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

@BBQdave My tent looks like a two bedroom ranch with a screen porch. I could have the pup setup before I had the frame assembled for the tent. I had one of those tents that open like an umbrella it died a horrible death the first time it felt the wind blow.

I also use the tarp inside the tent.

4. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

I hear you :)

Once the kids get a little bigger, and out grow our current camp setup, will be looking at a PUP. We are already getting close to that point - may be a PUP in our camp setup this Spring :)

Orchid likes this.
  5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

And air conditioning to sleep in the summers, heat to sleep on those cold nights, running water, refrigerator, potentially a bathroom, comfy beds, an indoor table for times the outside is unpleasant, outlets to plug in your stuff, and the list goes on. All of that with still having the feeling of camping. :smiley:

Honestly, my only regret is that I didn't realize how great pups were much earlier in life. We were very avid campers when our kids were growing up. We lived up north there, and went every weekend that we could, three seasons. At least two weekends of every month, sometimes all of them.

Had I realized what we could have had, to make camping with 4 kids easier, we would have had one. We were actually given our first pup when our youngest two were teenagers. I've been hooked every since. We have tried the travel trailer route, even had a class C for awhile. Pups are all the comforts without giving up the camping feel.

At one point, I did consider buying a small cargo trailer to tow all our tent and camping stuff. Wish I had thought about a pup, it fits all our camping stuff with the only packing and unpacking being food and clothing. So much more than a tent on wheels, which is what I had thought previous to our first one.

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Stick the kids in the tent and keep the pup for you & Momma.

neighbormike likes this.
  7. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

There is a camp ground in Michigan with many things to do for children and you can pitch a tent there . If you want the name get back to me . I'll have to look it up ,right now I cant remember the name but my wife and I were thinking of going up there.

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

The best thing that I ever did to improve tent camping was to buy camp cots. They are kind of bulky and heavy but if you have room they are worth the trouble. They are comfortable, get you up off the ground and you can put suitcases and stuff under the cots. Air mattresses are a pain because they take up so much room in the tent.

Rik Peery likes this.
  9. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

For daggone sure, I picked up a 6 man insta-tent (Ozark Trail) back in early spring, can set it up by myself, although it's a muther trying to get it tightened down & put in the carry bag by myself, but plenty of room for a couple of cots/gear etc, & has the "bath tub" floor...have a decent Coleman air mattress, but needs to be re-aired a tad after a day or so; also have a large Kamp Rite tent cot that's great for easy quick set up, but it's a pain to carry in the truck due to it's configuration...

10. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Agree.

And I am back and forth with air mattress and camp cot. I can get a large air mattress in our 4P Coleman Cabin Tent, and top the mattress with egg crate foam - fits the kids and I (three sleeping bags) well. Comfortable family sleeping.

If it's just me, than I bring a camp cot. Comfortable and plenty of room in the tent. But the camp cot is bulky and takes up more space in the cab of the truck.

So oddly, it's roughly the same space used up in the cab of the truck, whether I am solo or with kids :)

11. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

Baroness, I ditto those who encourage you to stick around here. This forum is more active than the tent camping forum referenced above. Also, we camp many of the same places and do the same things.

Most of us started out tent camping and some of us still do. In fact, last May, our family had four generations tent camping where motorized vehicles couldn't go. It may have been the weekend you camped in the rented PUP. We had five backpack tents and two hammocks with mosquito netting. It was a marvelous long weekend and we were on the road home before the rain hit.

BBQdave and Rik Peery like this.
  12. Dread_Pirate_Bailey

Dread_Pirate_Bailey Member

Have you looked at https://freecampsites.net/ ? I find most of my non-NPS campsites through that site. Often, you can find out if the sites are actual campsites, if they have showers, amenities, or if it's just a place to park for the night. Some of the sites are not free, with a cost of $5-15 a night, but that's still not bad.

Rik Peery likes this.
  13. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Okay 2 things..
    1. Where are you located, that would be a BIG help in getting you hooked up with the right sites or group. For Orchid and I as well as others the State Parks (SP) here in FL can be accessed through www.floridastateparks.org or through Reserve America (RA) for many other states besides ours.
    2. There's a lot of us here that at one point have or continue to have had a tent in our lives (I have 2 a 4-Man and a 6-Man) that I would use when the MIL went with us and I still use when friends tag along for either me or the girls to use. I often, like this weekend, will put the tent on either the back patio or in the yard for the kids to Home Camp for the weekend so as it was stated earlier there are alot of similarities out there between the PUP and the Tent.

Lastly, don't be afraid to go to a state park and ask the Rangers AND the Campers why they use a tent, a PUP or something else, they'll be happy to share with you.

Orchid likes this.
  14. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

The RV.net has a forum for TENT CAMPING...

I have found you can do just as well here in the FOLDING TENT SECTION... Ask away… We are all avid TENT CAMPERS....

This is one of my tent trips to OTTER CREEK up on the Blue Ridge Parkway

[​IMG]
    Roy's photo

One of my best places to go that really has tent camping in mind is SHERANDO LAKE… They have a bunch of TENT sites that are bordered with rocks like this...
    [​IMG]
    Google image

Sometimes we just go up behind Harrisonburg VA up along the Virginia/West Virginia wooded State line inside the George Washigton Natl Forest and find a spot with a good view of the rolling mtn ridges...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

Keep in mind the Blue Ridge Parkway from VA to TN was built back when TENT CAMPING was the only thing going. All of their camp sites every 50 miles down the ParkWay are upgraded tent sites...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

BBQdave and Rik Peery like this.
  15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

What area are you looking to camp? We tent and PUP camp, but the tent camping is just done with the boys on scout camps. With the PUP we camp more. Less pack up time makes a weekend trip easier as we keep the PUP stocked with everything needed for camping except perishables and clothes. You can also find people that will rent you their PUP and have it setup on your campsite when you arrive. Tent, PUP, Hybrid, TT, 5th, or MH it's all camping, go and enjoy!

neighbormike likes this.
  16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I think most state parks originated back in the days of tent camping. Many of them cannot accommodate larger rigs unless they've cleared new loops. It's one of the charms of state park camping for me. I enjoy the smaller, heavily wooded sites. I don't want to camp in a field of RVs.

BillyMc, roybraddy, kcsa75 and 2 others like this.