Is there an automatic disconnect for gas like there is for electric?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Hoyt Burrass, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass Member

We've been camping the popup (2000 Forest River Premier) for about 3 years now and I know there is a kill switch that cuts the electrics when you are not popped up, is there a similar thing on the gas line? I ask because we bought a blackstone grill, I went to season it and couldn't get gas from the external stove line near the door (camper is closed)...had to tap the tank on the tongue...bypassing the line through the camper. just trying to sort it before we camp again next week.

2. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

If you were using a low pressure port and your grills regulator, I’m sure you weren’t getting enough gas. Is the grill made for RV low pressure ports?

Or you could be out of propane, but there is no “kill switch” for the propane.

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

No there is not. There is a safty feature built into all new 20lb tanks is it sensors to high of flow it shuts, or almost shuts the tank down. There could be several reasons the blackstone grill will not work on:
    1) that gas line is regulated to either 11 or 21 inch column water pressure. About 1/2 or 1 psi. You would need to remove the regulator from the grill. You need to find out what the output of the grill regulator is. Then you need to find out what the hose output is. If they are the same you can take off the regulator off the grill and connect to the hose.

2) most of the time that hose has an open or close valve somewhere. I think its code to have the valve.

3) the valve on the camper propane tank needs to be open.

4. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass Member

How can I tell if I have a high pressure or low pressure regulator? The internet says;"preset low pressure regulators use 1/4"ID black hose and most are attached to a propane regulator with only a 1/4"ID NPT (National Pipe Thread Taper) outlet."

All the hoses I have are black 1/4" but I do see differences at the tank connection See pics below:

Tank Regulator Connection to trailer port:
    IMG_4920.JPG

Tank Regulator Connection that came with Griddle:
    IMG_4922.JPG

So from your message what I expect is that the trailer (stove and heat) is a low pressure system, and that the Griddle regulator is a high pressure system.

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

The only way I have ben able to determine the out put regulated presure is through the manual, calling customer service, or using a manometer and measuring the regulator output.

Understand there is high pressure that the tank put out in the several hundred lbs on a hot day. Most lp appliances use what some people call low pressure 11 IWC (about 1/2 psi), including house hold furnaces and stove & ovens, and what some people call high pressure about 21 IWC (about 1 psi) I believe coleman stoves was the first to use the 21 IWC and they called it high presure, which I belive a marking ploy.

6. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Which blackstone do you have and how are you connecting it to the RV?

My blackstone works on the low pressure port off the side of my HTT, https://www.campingworld.com/blacks...VBvrICh3qfgAGEAQYAiABEgJWfPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But you cannot use the connector that came with the blackstone because it has a regulator (you cannot have 2 regulators affecting the pressure). You need to use a special adaptor like this
    https://www.amazon.com/STYDDI-Pressure-Conversion-Blackstone-Compatible/dp/B081YR8Z2F

And then you can use a quick connect hose like this https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Pres...35155&pd_rd_wg=pzcur&pd_rd_i=B06XK43NL3&psc=1

SteveP likes this.
  7. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass Member

I have the adventure ready 22 inch Model #1891

Using this to connect RV quickconnect to Blackstone

I just double checked with the stove and I have gas and it is on.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  8. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

That should work. The port on the side of my HTT has a on/off valve which I assume yours has as well. When I use mine, I make all the connections and turn the valves on, then turn the gas nob on my blackstone to allow the gas to fill the line. It usually only takes about 10 seconds. Then it lights up. Yours should be the same.

9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

There should be a valve lever on the trailer side of the quick connect, it needs to lock the collar in place for the valve to be open.

10. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass Member

This is a possibility...I do not recall if I had the valve engaged or not....I usually do...thanks to all for helping troubleshoot....won't get to check until later.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If you have a quick connect it is low pressure, high pressure usally has a screw in type fitting. Some have had problems with diffrent type of quick connects as there are diffrent ones. Look for a number on the fittings, then see if what you bought is compatable. They don't make it easy. Snd as stated, low pressure through another regulator most times dosen't work well if at all.

12. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass Member

OK, I know I have gas flowing from the tank to the quick connect outlet on the RV, but I am virtually positive that it is not flowing through the new hose to the blackstone. I opened the gas on high for over 30 seconds and could not smell any gas at all coming out of the blackstone. If I disconnect from the gas and open the blackstone control I can blow air through the new hose but with considerable resistance....I'm gonna try a new hose....thanks for all your help here...will keep you posted.

13. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

If you have an in/out stove you can try swapping the hoses. Disconnect from the 3/8 flare connection on the stove and connect to the flare connection on the angle fitting for the blackstone connector. I have had a case where the nipple on the hose wasn't long enough to depress the safety spring on the fitting. That's also sometimes a problem when connecting mismatched brands of air hoses.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

And thats a bingo ( probably). Lol.

15. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass Member

ok, the replacement hose arrived...This is the replacement hose. Same problem...comments above made me suspect the angle connection...and I noticed a difference in the size of the connector that works and the ones on the hose that doesn't (even though the item description claims it is 1/4 inch....the hose says 5/16) and see photo...I think this is the problem...now to find the right connector. Thoughts?
    IMG_4944.jpg

16. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Hoyt Burrass? Now that's a cool name right there.

17. Old_Geezer

Have a Weber Q 1000 and a Campchef 3 burner hooked up to the low pressure on our Roo. Removed the regulators on each.

18. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass Member

So, are you suggesting that the Blackstone has a built in regulator other than the one at the tank connection?

19. Old_Geezer

No. The Camp chef had the regulator next to the tank connection, replaced it with a section of hose with a male QD. The Weber had the regulator attached to the control knob input, replaced it with a male QD nipple. I suspect the Blackstone was set up like my Camp chef.

[​IMG]

20. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass Member

I gotcha.