Is there an automatic disconnect for gas like there is for electric?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Hoyt Burrass, Jul 14, 2021.

1. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

2. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass Member

Thanks giadiep...I'm gonna give that a try and have ordered it...

to continue the saga. I was able to swap the griddle connectors from the regulator and hose that I know worked when connected directly to the 20 lb tank with the one that did not work when connected to the trailers quick connect. I have now eliminated the connector as the possible fault...because the swapped connector and hose did not work through the trailer quick connect but the converse swap (suspect connector with known good regulator and hose connected directly to the 20 lb tank) does work.

As I mentioned above I have ordered giadiep's version of the hose from propanegear, but I am also looking to use the known good regulator and a quick connect to connect to the 20 lb tank on the tongue with a longer hose that will reach the griddle....stay tuned for more updates...

and for those who are curious...this is what the insided of the griddle connector looks like.... IMG_4951.jpg

3. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Interesting...that would lead me to suspect that it's the connection at the rv that is the problem. On my HTT, there is a lever under the female quick connect end that must be open to allow the flow (lever is in line with the hose). But it must be shut (perpendicular) in order for male connector to insert all the way into the female receptacle. There's a collar that must be pushed back and then snaps forward after the male end is fully inserted. Then you turn the lever to open the valve. Sometimes that collar does not want to snap back forward easily so you have to push the connector in while pulling the collar out.

Or...there could also be a blockage in the line from the tank to the quick connect on the rv.

The one I ordered from propanegear has a fitting that screws onto the side of the griddle and then connects via quick connect to a hose. I have 2 hoses, one that is quick connect on both ends to connect to the HTT and another that has a regulator that connects directly to a 20lb tank. This allows me to connect to the RV while camping and to connect to a regular tank if I'm using it at home in my backyard.

Hoyt Burrass likes this.
  4. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass Member

Only problem is that I know the trailer quick connect works with the camper stove. I’m gonna reset the regulator on the off chance that I’m bone headed enough to have messed it up in all the shenanigans.

5. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass Member

propane gear hose did not work either....sigh.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Not sure if it was mentioned.. but on the quick disconnect there is a lever to turn 90 degrees to open the flow...

7. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass Member

yep...got that one...but thank you.

8. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Are you getting any gas from the quick connect outlet from the rv?

9. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass Member

Yes, The stove runs as it always has...verified again two days ago...I just don't get any gas out of the blackstone...will not light, no smell of gas (left it open two minutes the other day). Blackstone will run off of direct connection to 20 lb tank, and off one pound Coleman canisters...just not through the RV quick connect...images up thread of the regulator going to the RV.

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

does the stove's male or female quick disconnect have any markings on it? "5lp" would be the ole style!

another test is to just plug in one of the new disconnect like pictured with out any hose or blacksone fitting to determine if there is any gas. Putting a finger over the outlet to see if there is any propane.

qd.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I should probably read the other posts, as I'm probably repeating other suggestions..

Does the Blackstone have a seperate regulator and flame control dal? If so, have you removed the regulator?

12. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass Member

It does say 5LP on it...Full text is:
    Couple-Safe BBBU
    (1.7 MPA) LP Gas
    Use UL 5LP-A plug only
    19000 BTU/Hr Nat. Gas

Missing this is the kind of thing I would do...

So, DO you think replacing the quick connect on the new hose with a 5LP Male connector is the way to go...or should I replace the Female Quick connect coming out of the the Trailer?

13. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass Member

no separate regulator on Blackstone....Been there...thank you for the comment though.

14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

The model 250 has been the standard on RVs for low pressure since '04 IIRC. My ole Coeachmen use the 5lp so I bought males from www.mbsturgis.com (there about 5 different male/female combinations).

It is up to you on which to replace but they need to match, ie if you change the trailer you'd need to change the ole stove also.

https://mbsturgis.com/natural-gas-quick-disconnects-plugs/

I called em in '06 or so and actually talked to someone
    https://mbsturgis.com/contact-us/

Hoyt Burrass likes this.
  15. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass Member

Roger, Roger...and Thanks....I knew it was going to be something simple that I didn't know/expect....hope this is it.

16. rabird

rabird Howdy!

17. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass Member

And We have a winner....Rabird was correct. the Female quick connect was the older LP5 version. I have replaced it and the Blackstone now works as it should....I have also replaced them male LP5 connector on the included camper stove and it works as well...thanks to all who chimed in here...I will post a separate summary thread so those who search can find it easily.

Snow likes this.