Is there such a thing as conditioner for canvas?

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Beckiec4, May 1, 2012.

1. Beckiec4

Beckiec4 New Member

We are remodeling our 1987 Jayco Pup, we almost have it done, but as I am repairing holes in the canvas, it just looks so dried out, and Im so afraid to make new holes (I have) trying to repair the old ones...
    SOOOO, my question to you is, there is such a thing as dried out hair damaged conditioner to revitalize your hair, is there such a thing as something to condition canvas, I looked at my husbands boot (mink oil) but NOT putting that on there and have big grease spots.
    Any suggestions to rejuvenate my canvas before I clean it and spray it for water resistance. If I could afford the $8/900 to replace it, I would in a heart beat, but that is not in the budget and I am chomping at the bit to get it out there and camp!
    Hey, Thank you for your suggestions!
    Beckie [:D]

2. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I'm not aware of anything like you're looking for. And no, don't use mink oil. You'll most certainly end up with a greasy mess. On a 25 year old canvas like you have, about all I'd suggest would be to wash it really well, rinse it very well, and when it's completely dry, apply a weatherproofing treatment. Other than that, open it up for the day to air it out every once in a while when you're not using it, and make sure to pack it away dry. If you have to close it up wet to move it, open it up as soon as you get where you're going - even if it's still raining. Once it's wet, it's wet - it'll dry when it stops raining. If it stays closed up while it's wet, it'll start to mold and mildew.

Look at it this way - it's already lasted 25 years. Keep it clean, weatherproofed, and air it out on occasion, and it should last several more seasons.

Now go out and enjoy it!

3. bachstrad

bachstrad New Member

I agree with the previous post. Weather proof it as well as you can (especially the seams) and air it out often. And of course the best place to air it out is at a campsite! Fresh air and a little campfire smoke may be the best conditioning there is for you and your camper!

4. bigbluetraverse

bigbluetraverse New Member

I just hand washed and re-waterproofed my canvas on my Coleman Mesa. Now it's only a 2001 but my canvas looks better and darkened back up from a whitish grey to a grey grey once the weatherproofing went back in.

I was amazed by my vinyl it all looks new including the roof...

So wash it good with a safe product for your canvas type. My canvas was Sunbrella so used the product they recommended on their website.

"Always use a mild soap such as Ivory Snow, Dreft or Woolite." I used Ivory Snow as it's readily available in Canada. The others are hard to find here.

Soft bristle brushes are recommended.

5. CampingCindy

CampingCindy New Member

I used ivory and besides getting out some dirt when I brushed it dry before washing, didn't notice any difference on the canvas.

And when you say waterproof, do you mean a can of the stuff with the Orange Top?

6. bigbluetraverse

bigbluetraverse New Member

303 Fabric Guard. It's pricey but this is what the manufactures actually use when they treat the fabric.

It cost me $104 Canadian for a 1 gallon jug. It took the whole jug to do my large popup.

http://www.303products.com/

7. CIGARGUY

CIGARGUY New Member

I have never used 303 on the PUP, but any of their products I have used have been amazing. Their stuff is pricey, but you get what you pay for.

8. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

After reading this I will have to make a note to myself to check my canvas a bit more closely on my next trip! My pup is a '94 and in fairly decent shape, I'd like it to stay that way.

9. Beckiec4

Beckiec4 New Member

Hey Ya'll....
    Thank-you so much for your information, very helpful and I already have bought the 303 water sealant, last year and have been waiting for the winds to stop and the sun to come out to clean her properly and seal her up... Hey someone out there needs to invent such a thing for re vitalizing canvas.....a million dollar idea!

Thanks everyone I sure do appreciate this site, you all ROCK!
    More questions to come [;)]

10. CampingCindy

CampingCindy New Member

Recently someone told me to spray the canvas down with water first, let it dry, then waterproof. Their reasoning was that the wet canvas spread the fibers out.

What do you all think?

11. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

There's some truth to that - kind of. The fibers don't spread out, per-se - they swell a bit, tightening the weave of the fabric. That's one reason why almost all the manufacturers have, in the past, recommended applying the weatherproofing after the canvas has been washed, rinsed, and allowed to dry.

However, most synthetic fabric fibers used in a pup canvas these days don't swell when they get wet - they remain inert and don't absorb water at all. If your pup is fairly new, it almost certainly has a synthetic fabric. Now the main reason the manufacturers recommend applying a weatherproofing after the canvas has been washed, rinsed, and allowed to dry is simply to make sure the canvas is clean.

12. PaulinBawlmer

PaulinBawlmer I'm a traveling man ஃ

Which of the 303 products is used for waterproofing? All the ones on their website seem to be for protecting hard surfaces against "dirt, dust and grime." Which one do you recommend be used on the pup canvas?

UPDATE: I answered my own question by exploring both the 303 and Sunbrella websites a bit more deeply. I found this document to be most interesting and helpful: http://303products.com/fabricguardguide.pdf

13. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Excellent link! Thanks very much for posting it!

14. Beckiec4

Beckiec4 New Member

thanks for the link [:D]