Is this a Freshwater In-Tank Strainer?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by David McGlynn, Jul 10, 2020.

1. David McGlynn

David McGlynn New Member

Hello,

Does anyone know what this is? This was inside my tank, right up against the outlet of the tank, and I'm assuming is the reason my poor pump couldn't pull hardly any water. Is it necessary if I already have a strainer right before the pump?

It was a lot of fun finding this thing.

The last couple seasons we have had very low flow coming out of any of the faucets. The pump will build pressure & stop, but the second you open a faucet, it comes out quickly, then peters off to very little flow, while the entire time the pump is pumping its heart out. It was always building pressure and shutting off, but leaving a faucet on (or attempting to shower eek!) would make it come out as a trickle.

I measured the flow out of the faucet at .3 GPM. (using a quart-measurement & a timer) The pump is rated at 3 GPM.

Measured voltage at the pump, 13v, measured current, it's pulling around 3.5 amps.

I tested the pump by removing the outlet-hose from the rest of the camper, and pumping into a bucket. Still low flow.

Then I saw that the hose going from the tank to the pump had a nasty kink in it right where it came out of the floor! Win! .. So we replaced that entire hose with a new one, cut out some wood so the hose can have a gentle bend to avoid kinks, .. still low flow.

I removed the pump altogether, and went outside and pumped from one bucket into another, using a car-battery for power, and it pumps fantastic. I was using smaller-length hoses than in the camper, but still, night & day difference.

I then put the pump back into the camper & temporarily installed the pump closer to the tank, thinking that the 20 feet of hose between the tank & the pump might be a bit much to pull on, ... still low flow.

The only thing left I could think was that there was something blocking the flow in the tank. I drained the tank, and blowing into the hose which normally goes from the tank to the pump, I was barely able to push any air into the tank.

So, I removed the tank, carried it outside, and took off the 90 degree outlet fitting, and I was staring at something hard & plastic, which appeared to be blocking the outlet. I tapped on it with a screwdriver, and it fell into the tank.. about 15 minutes later of filling the tank w/water and trying to get this thing out of the larger fill hole, I was able to take the picture. It's like a strainer, one end is open, and one end is closed, but it's like it was installed backwards, or it came loose at some point and was floating around inside the tank and then ended up getting sucked into place against the outlet?

I just don't know - is it necessary? I already have a shurflo strainer right before my pump anyway. What a pain.

Thanks for listening to me vent!
    strainer.jpg
    fittingnstrainer.jpg

Dave

2. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Well-Known Member

Does it have any threads on it.

3. David McGlynn

David McGlynn New Member

Sorry, I thought I posted a response, but for some reason it never showed up!

No, there are no threads on it, so I don't know how it would have attached to the tank outlet besides a press-fit into the hole?

Also - I put everything back together without it, and I'm now pumping 1.5 GPM out of the kitchen sink, which is absolutely fine by me. The shower is once again useable.

Dave

Ladiesman likes this.
  4. myride

myride Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Dave, if it was me...and there is a filter incorporated already...I'd leave that one OUT....LOL

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I would leave it off also, maybe it was part of the gravity fill, so it could disperse the water and air better? Just another idea. Almost looks like an intake from a fish tank pump.

myride likes this.
  6. David McGlynn

David McGlynn New Member

I hadn't thought of that before - that it is possibly a completely foreign item. Maybe it is a strainer from a container that the previous-owner used to fill the fresh-water tank..

Sjm9911 likes this.