Itchin' To Go - Allergies Are Kickin' My Butt

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by themanfromvan, May 14, 2010.

1. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

I want to get out there so bad, but I have never experienced seasonal allergies like I have this year. It's raining right now, but it's supposed to clear out this afternoon and shape up to be a nice weekend.

I say this as I recover from a coughing fit and wipe that ever present trickle of SNOT from my nose. I've spent the last 4 nights sleeping on the couch so I can elevate my head to try to alleviate the coughing. We seem to have an abundance of things in bloom right now that don't usually blossom at the same time. Lately, it's seems like the harsher the winter we have, the lusher the pollen spewing vegetation becomes. Not good news for my family.

I'm sure I could probably sleep okay in the camper, but at least at home when I start coughing up a lung, I can retreat to another room to sleep and not keep the whole family awake.

For the past month I've been saying, "Maybe next weekend..... maybe next weekend." It's the middle of May - time's a wastin'.

2. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

David,

I get the same thing with what ever seems to be in the air. I'll tell you an old time allergy remedy, find a guy or store that sells locally made "HONEY". Because the bee's are making the honey from locally grown flowers, plants etc., it helps to curve the effect of the pollen, etc. in the air. Take a teaspoon a day, it works for me.

Alan

3. themanfromvan

Alan - I'm headed to Seneca !! There's a place, 6 houses up Route 257 from my mother who sells beekeeping supplies AND locally produced honey. I'm willing to try anything. Nothing in pill form seems to do any good.

4. CHart6283

CHart6283 New Member

I was just told about the "local" honey for allergies. Just curious... did you try it? I think I'm gonna see if I can find some around here.

5. CampingGators

CampingGators Awaiting the day...

There are great prescription medications which help. You may need a steroid inhaler for the cough symptoms and steroid nasal spray for nasal allergies. See your primary health care provider or allergist for treatment. Allergy testing and shots may also be an option. Don't wait till next May.

6. KyCamping

KyCamping New Member

[2C]

As you can see, I don't post a lot in here. However, occasionally something comes up that is so compelling that I must reply. This is one.

I was in the same place you are with allergies, they were "Kickin' My Butt" as you say. I would go to work and not even be able to see the computer my eyes were itching so bad, so I sat there and teared up and took medications and wiped my dribbling nose. However, no longer!!

I always felt like I could just sit back and make fun of her Oprah watching...however, from Oprah and a Dr. Oz guest appearance, there appeared the holy grail of defeating allergies. The Neti Pot. My wife saw the episode and immediately purchased me one for Valentine's day - quite romantic! It is very unorthodox, and very weird at first, however it has changed my life and has been used for thousands of years! Here is a video of Dr. Oz explaining it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUh7ADLcoeY
    It's not nearly as messy as the clip shows once you get the hang of it. It is just simply great, and can change your life too. I use it every morning and evening and in between if I'm feeling congested! If you don't give it a try for at least a week, you are sorely missing out on a chance to make your life better. Questions? Just ask! Happy camping.

7. EastBeast

EastBeast NO soup for you!

My fall alergies started Sat. Long way to go until the first frost. I was given a sample of Singulair by my Dr. last year. I thought it worked great. It works a different way than most allergy meds. As dry as it's been this summer, I'll be visiting for a scrpit very soon. The ragweed is out of control.

8. themanfromvan

I tried the honey thing for about two weeks. It made me sick.

9. Luv2hikeAR

Luv2hikeAR New Member

My allergies are all in my throat and lungs too - not so much in my nose. I get immunotherapy shots pretty much every 2 weeks year-round, and when things are bad I pretty much have to have an steroid inhaler - Symbicort keeps things pretty well under control for me. Mucinex helps too. The shots have really improved my quality of life - it's gone from being totally unbearable to just a minor annoyance. It did, however, take about 2 years to get to this stage.

I would suggest seeing an allergist and getting tested to get the details of what you are allergic to and he or she will be able to suggest a treatment plan that can sometimes be even OTC.

10. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

My allergies have been much worse this year than ever before - lost my voice for almost 2 months due to post nasal drip from the blasted allergies. Go from outside to inside and cough up a lung, go back outside and cough it up again. In bed, turn from one side to the other and cough more.

My Pulmonary dr. says my lungs are clear, and prescribed Flonase. This helped, however, there is nothing in the propaganda that tells you to immediately rinse your mouth out after using the nasal inhaler.....but you better or you will end up with a yeast infection......

Haven't used the Flonase in the last 2 weeks, and I am again coughing and blowing my nose constantly. Darn stuff runs $80.....

But, it hasn't stopped me from camping. Heck I popped up in the driveway and slept out there nightly for several weeks as I coughed so much it irritated the other half.

11. Luv2hikeAR

Luv2hikeAR New Member

Flonase comes in generic for $4 at Wally world... That's what I use too, along with a Symbicort inhaler.

12. themanfromvan

Funny that I saw this thread back in 'Active Topics' today as I am now in the Autumn version of my allergies. Dead dried leaves, golden rod seeds floating through the air...... it all adds up to miserable.

I don't get the sneeze, runny nose, sore throat thing too much at this stage. Mostly it's achy joints and shortness of breath. Today was a little better because it got down near freezing last night. If we get all this stuff frozen and blown away, I'll be fine.