It's All About the Food

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by KateTheKamper, May 23, 2011.

1. KateTheKamper

KateTheKamper Member

While camping this past weekend, we had breakfast burritos Sat. morning, pizza in the pie irons Sat. night, (two slices of a nice bakery bread, pizza sauce, mini-pepperonis, cheese and sliced green olives. YUMMY!), and waffles from the stove-top waffle iron yesterday morning with fresh strawberries and syrup.

Everything seems to have so much more flavor when you're cooking and eating outside! [BBQ]

2. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

Breakfast burritos are one of our favorite things to make while camping. We will be having a lot of great Dutch Oven cooking going on this weekend. Can't wait!

3. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

I agree, the food is one of the perks of camping. I am always surprised to hear that so many don't get into cooking while camping. For us it is part of the fun of the camping experience. The kids feel the same and even help plan menus to insure we have included their favorite DO or pie iron goodies. Sure it would be so easy to open a few cans and call it dinner but my family would rather try a new DO recipe, this trip it will be Lasagna. A little more work but taste soooo much better.

4. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

You are so right, it is "All About the Food". And camping provides the time to prepare delicious items just like you did.
    Enjoy Camping!

5. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

MY DH says I cook enough big meals at the house and when we are camping he likes to have much simpler meals and give me the break from all the work. Much of the time we will eat breakfast out and lunch is just sandwiches and then a salad with grilled chicken, fish or meat for dinner. We are avid hikers and love to spend every moment doing that or fishing. For my part I am glad for the break and was thrilled to see my DH appreciate me enough to give me the break.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Each to his or her own. I have too much I want to do while camping to spend time cooking and cleaning. For me food is just "in the way" while camping. I minimize it as much as possible and wish I could eliminate the need to deal with it completely. (BTW, I enjoy cooking at home and have been told that I'm not a bad chef.)

7. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

Im with you ! But at the same time I do plan a few nice meals and I do the prep work , as much as possible ahead of time .

8. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

This weekend will be great for me as we are camping with my father in law who LOVES to cook. So I will be able to enjoy all the aspects of camping and still get a great meal! Dutch Oven Ribs... here I come!

9. Idahawk

Country Style Ribs , with onions and BBQ Sauce in the Dutch I make them almost ever time we go !!!! So easy and so good

10. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Right, to each his own. Everyone has their own camping style, not just on food but everything. That could be a thread all its own. :)

11. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Love food.....love cooking food.....love cooking food even more when I'm camping in the great outdoors, though lunch is always a non-cooked meal. I don't do anything crazy really.....some kind of meat on the grill, a tater of some kind (usually mashed or foiled and on the grill), and a veg. Breakfast is pretty standard too....eggs, bacon/sausage, hashbrowns. If I do any sauces or glazes, I do them ahead at home.

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Ain't it great?

With so many types of camping trips, some are all about the food [;)]

13. Clueless

Clueless I use to have a handle on life but it broke.

Woah!!! Let's back up here a minute. lol THAT sounds like my kind of camp cooking! [:)O] Can you share on how you make this? Damn.... I might have to buy a DO now. [:D]

I'm with Tripod and the other for the most part. We have way to much other stuff do do while camping that eating kinda gets in the way. I don't mind a good meal at breakfast but lunch and dinners are a pain. We usually never get around to diner until its dark out. lol

14. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Iffin your gonna do it, do it right.... Good 'ol southern catfish, gator, and froglegs... Likes me some goot food... [:)O]
    [​IMG]

and then if you gonna have company make sure you have at least 30' of food plus desert...

[​IMG]

This weekend will be smoked pork butts, smoked chicken, bourbon chicken, good friends, and all the fixens... Can't wait!

15. Idahawk

I use a 12 inch deep oven get it hot on the fire and brown 6-8 ribs , remove from heat add sliced onions 2 med walla sweets or what you can get in a sweet onion, salt and pepper , add a cup of beer or apple juice , and slow cook coals on top only for 5 hrs adding a shovel of coals ever hour or so , think of it as a crock pot low and slow , when you start to smell them it's time , remove lid and check tenderness If done to your liking remove from juice and pour out juice in fire add a jar of BBQ replace lid and allow to rest for 30 minutes at least , serve

16. Clueless

Clueless I use to have a handle on life but it broke.

Ok... This thread has been officially hijacked. lol sorry Kate. [:D]

That sounds pretty good Idahawk. Thanks but y'all need to talk to me like I'm a 5 year old from Nebraska cause I've never used a DO before. [?:~{]
    When you say "slow cook the coals on top" How do you do that? Don't coals burn at their own pace? And is that the only coals you use or is the DO setting in a pile of coals as well? And another question is when you pour the juice in the fire and add the BBQ do you put it back into the now smoldering coals for the 30 minutes?

Sorry to be such a pain but this DO cooking is all new to me. I'm sure it's going to take a lot of trial and error before I get it down but any advise from you experienced folks might minimize the error part. lol

Cuckoo.... Me thinks you invited the entire camp ground over for dinner! Wow that's a lot of food. Looks awesome!

Oh... btw Idahawk, I read in another thread where you are going this weekend. You are one lucky guy to live in that gorgeous part of our great nation. I rode out to GNP a few years ago and completely fell in love with that area out there. Winters must be a bitch but man do you folks have it made out there. I'm envious.

Sorry about the hijacking Kate but it's all your fault for starting such a great thread. lol

17. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Not quite the ENTIRE campground, but it was close. We had 31 sites reserved (out of 54 at the park) for our Spring rally in Central Florida. [:D]

18. lyz

lyz New Member

We do our best eating when we camp!

The sad part about that statement is: at home I'm the cook, but when we camp mama's off duty. What does that tell you? [:O]

19. wolfcat1

wolfcat1 New Member

Cuckoo,
    What kind of fryer is that ? Really like it...
    Thnks, Wolfie

20. KateTheKamper

KateTheKamper Member

Not really a hijack...as I said...it's ALL about the food! :) Love hearing how everyone else eats (or not) while they're camping.