It's not you, it's me...

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by rrue, Apr 29, 2013.

1. rrue

rrue I can fix anything with duct tape and WD40.

We love our '99 Coleman Utah but our kids are getting old enough to start asking about theme parks and DW and I are pining for some of the big national parks and the short answer is as we shift from camping mode to roadtrip mode I cringe at the thought of breaking and setting camp every day. We're shopping for an RV.

This site has been a huge help to me. I'll be lucky to find as active and helpful a community as I've found here.

Can anyone point me toward an RV site?

Randy Rue
    1999 Coleman Utah
    2001 Mazda Tribute

Soon to be 1992 Georgie Boy Swinger 28'

2. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

I cant point you in the rv direction however make a list of wants and needs. Also look at operation cost, with an rv alot of the times maintance cost is going to be factor. Are you going to us it enough to off set the cost? Are you going to tow are car behind it? Can you tow the vehicle you currently have behind it? It not you are pretty much stuck in the campground where you park the RV unless you are talking about getting a TT then you need to make sure the TV is enough to handle the TT you want. These are just somethings to consider.

3. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Godspeed Randy Rue, Godspeed.

4. bondebond

bondebond New Member

5. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Forest River builds everything from popups to class A's.
    If you want to know about an FR product -
    http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/
    Over 1500 members have visited the site in the last 24 hours.

6. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The irony in moving from a PUP for short, local out-and-back trips to an RV for long-distance road trips is that the PUP costs very little to tow and the mileage for an RV is quite poor.

7. Manper

Manper New Member

The wife and I will commonly watch episodes on the Travel Channel that showcases RV's, and what amenities they have (and what we don't) but one thing to consider; although your children are getting older the cost of owning an RV is huge!! I actually think this is an understatement. If you have the money to burn, and trust me if I did theres a couple I'd think I get, but I also think about the practicality. With a pup you will go to more places than anyone who is hauling a trailer or is in an RV. Not to persuade you to choose a PUP in lieu of a RV but my wife and I will discuss this back and forth and it always ends with...its not where you can go but where you can't.

8. Rc_maniac

Rc_maniac Member

when I was shopping for mine I used rvt.com for info and comparisons.

Also, look at Trailmanors. Best of both worlds, Hard sided trailer that folds down for reduced wind drag and much quicker and easier to set up.

9. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

You certainly know better than I what kind of trips you have in mind and your family's needs, but I don't really see having the PUP as incompatible for the trips you've described. That's the primary use of ours with few weekend camping trips. We setup at a private or public CG and use it as a base for all kinds of activities.

Last yr, we spent 3 days at Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH. They have 3 or 4 of the world's top rollarcoasters. Then we spent a week at Mohican SP in OH doing a combination of camping stuff (hiking, tubing, canoes) and sightseeing activities (Amish & covered bridge tour). Doing the same this yr, except we're going to Turkey Run in IN. Year before that was East Coast tour to Gettysburg (3 days-KOA), DC (7 days-Pohick Regional Park which has a waterpark a short walk away), Williamsburg/Jamestown area (4 days-KOA). In fact, 1st trip with our PUP was 10 days to the Mt. Rushmore/Black Hills area using Rafter Bar J Ranch as our base and taking day trips to whatever we were interested in. For overnights enroute, we'd stay at a Holiday Inn Express, Residence Inn, or another decent national chain that offers free breakfast and a pool for the kids. That takes the one night setup out of the equation, provides a free meal, and a quick get-a-way in the morning.

Nice thing about a PUP is that you've already got a car along for local transportation and towing your "RV". Otherwise, you're either towing a car behind you or using the RV for transportation. Talk about a PITA in parking lots, traffic, etc. And then there's the gas mileage. [:(O]

10. Unstable_Tripod

+1 for Rc_maniac's comment. I bought my TrailManor specifically for long-distance, multi-month road trips. I had it out on a 61-day, 8,100 mile trip last year.

11. bigbluetraverse

bigbluetraverse New Member

When we are traveling and night camping I pack the PUP every differently.

We pack the PUP so noting big is inside. Stuff that can be easily taken out and put on the seats of the TV.

Literally pop it up sleep and pop it back down. Pack pre-made food.

We have it down to an art form.

Kentucky Horse park is one of out quick stop spots going south.

Of course we usually stop for three or four days there on return trips. AKA vacation from our vacation aka rest. :)

12. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that most national parks do not have hook ups. We spend four or five weeks per year in national parks, being able to open huge amounts of windows is why we went with a pup instead of a hard side. Ymmv

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

13. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Enjoy, I'm a regular reader of rv.net's tech issues forum
    12 pages and going strong "Why 6V battery instead of 12V?"
    Lots of tech info along with the usual opinions.
    Same with solar and many other topics.

14. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

You don't have to leave. You have a good amount of info you may be able to pass on. Good luck on your search but stick around.

15. jdubois

jdubois New Member

I like the idea of finding a good "base of operations" and fanning out from there on day-trips. At least, IMHO, that's how I expect my life will work with DW and DD '08. Time will tell.....

Whatever you end up doing, do it well and have fun!

16. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

DH & I purchased our PUP last year with the intention that we would keep it for 6 years, then sell it and buy a class 6. However, with gas prices hovering around $3.50 to $4.00 per gallon, we are seriously doubting the purchase of a class C. The same goes for purchasing a larger vehicle and a large RV for us at this time.

I agree that it's a pain opening up the PUP for one night. Could you find a base camp that is near where your kids want to visit a theme park? If it's a big theme park, one day probably isn't enough, so maybe you could stay a night or two to make it worth your while.

17. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

An HTT or Trailmanor would be the easiest. You can turtle in an HTT at rest stops.
    The hard sides give a little more security, too.
    I think an Aliner would be too small.

18. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Lance 1995

+3 on the Trailmanor. That really will give the best of both worlds. Although not cheap, way, way cheaper than an RV.

19. Unstable_Tripod

People sometimes forget operating costs when looking at various camping vehicles. A TrailManor may be a bit more up front but the savings in gas add up fast when you get, for example, 14 mpg instead of 8 mpg at $3.80-4.00 per gallon. This is important even for shorter, local trips but becomes a major factor on multi-thousand-mile excursions.

20. rrue

rrue I can fix anything with duct tape and WD40.

Aaaaaand we're back!

Bought a 1982 Winnebago Brave 22' and had two good seasons in it. Had some fun fixing the thing up, replaced the toilet and awning vinyl and I forget how many other things. Got 8MPG and went 50 on the highway and while setup/knockdown was easier, we found that going into town or on a day trip meant packing up the house.

Our real problem is that we've never had a proper Requirements Phase for this project.

Bought an 05 R-Vision Bantam 19' "hybrid," a hard-top with a queen pop-out on one end and a double pop-out on the other. Weighs about what the old Utah did but higher tongue weight, the beefed up Mazda Tribute wasn't going to cut it (and the back seat was getting cramped for the three kids). Bought a 98 Expedition for the TV.

Even though the Bantam had been only lightly used it turned out to have a long list of stuff needing attention as it had mostly sat:

* water pump leaked (replaced it)
    * propane leak (still working on that, see elsewhere on this forum)
    * awning got torn off, got a used replacement that I have yet to modify to fit
    * plywood rot on the front corner, not too bad yet, will fix it right before it gets away from me
    * jack handle bolt broke, replacing the handle
    * tent roofs leak even though the fabric is vinyl coated, ordered some products for cleaning/sealing (also on this forum)
    * lock on one of the tent hatches broke, anyone know where to get those? Just like any other hatch lock but bigger, bolt goes through the 1-2" hatch and the "L" bracket is bigger.

Great to be back with my people!

Randy